Firearms question

Yanno both is an option too. Why the 19?

PX1445SGRphoto.gif

Para Ord 14+1 .45 acp

Last edited:
I am getting my concealed pistols license.

I am trying to decide between a glock 19 9 mm and a s&w mp .40 caliber.

Suggestions?
*If you intend to do lots of range shooting, get the 9mm, as the reduced cost of ammunition will enable more training.

*If you intend to use your pistol in common self-defense situations, get the 9mm, as you will be more likely to carry it (lighter, handier).

*If you intend to use your pistol in situations where the 9mm is underpowered, skip the CCW and purchase a 12-gauge or 5.56x45mm.

(while I like the .45 acp, I don't like it in a CCW gun. The police favor the .40, but only in open-carry)

mini14p.jpg

Last edited:
I shot 50 rounds in the glock 19 and 50 in the s&w mp .40

I like them both, that's the problem.

First, consider which one you like best. What's most comfortable for your hands.

Second, consider how you dress. The idea behind "concealed" is self-explanatory. If you wear shorts and t-shirts ... I'd go with a Walther PPK/S.

I carry a modified Springfield Armory M1911-A1. If I so much as nick you, you're going down. I modified the gun myself in the 1980's, and I can knock the balls off a gnat at 50 yards.

Point is, you have to balance firepower/gun frame vs how you dress.

Of the two handguns you mention, the Glock has the better reputation while the S&W has the more appealing price tag. For concealed carry, and it's applicability self-defense-wise, I would say one is no better than the other.

First, consider which one you like best. What's most comfortable for your hands.

Second, consider how you dress. The idea behind "concealed" is self-explanatory. If you wear shorts and t-shirts ... I'd go with a Walther PPK/S.

I carry a modified Springfield Armory M1911-A1. If I so much as nick you, you're going down. I modified the gun myself in the 1980's, and I can knock the balls off a gnat at 50 yards.

Of the two handguns you mention, the Glock has the better reputation while the S&W has the more appealing price tag. For concealed carry, and it's applicability self-defense-wise, I would say one is no better than the other.

What did you modify on your firearm Gunny?

I added a beavertail grip safety, full length recoil guide rod, adjustable trigger, extended safety and slide release tabs, installed Bo-Mar, low profile combat sights, and I completely disassembled the weapon and used jeweler's rouge to finish every internal part of the weapon.

I also added Pachmyr wraparound grips and have six McCormick, match grade magazines.

If the Glock feels better for you than get it, they're better than the S&Ws overall. That said, I personally hate Glocks (Glock-in-a-box), the ergonomics are like holding on to a 2x4 nailed to a mouse trap.
I chose to go with the just as reliable, somewhat heavier, much less expensive and ergonomically friendly CZ82. Fires a 9x18 (9 Makarov) round which is relatively inexpensive and is available in FMJ and JHP.

The CZ82

57483.gif

My summer carry is now the Polish P64, chambered in the same round. It's an inexpensive copy of the Wather PPK so it can be carried in pocket or IWB. Had to change out the mainspring (simple job) to ease the stock extra heavy DA pull and it is pretty snappy with the 9x18 round but only cost me around $245 with the shipping, transfer fee, holster, extra mag and new mainspring.

The P64

P64.jpg

Last edited:

I added a beavertail grip safety, full length recoil guide rod, adjustable trigger, extended safety and slide release tabs, installed Bo-Mar, low profile combat sights, and I completely disassembled the weapon and used jeweler's rouge to finish every internal part of the weapon.

I also added Pachmyr wraparound grips and have six McCormick, match grade magazines.

Cool. Can you post a pix?

Ringel09 - Is the grip on the PPK/copy smaller than a Glock?

Last edited:

Dude, I'm a Marine. I can customize guns. I CAN'T post pix.:eusa_eh:

:lol:

Dude, I'm a Marine. I can customize guns. I CAN'T post pix.:eusa_eh:

Sorry Gunny, don't kill me. I didn't know ..................

Yes, the grip is smaller, but I have very large hands and I have no issue with it. The Walther PPK is chambered in a .380 which is why the P64 has such a snappy recoil, it's chambered in the larger 9x18 while being the same size and roughly the same weight as the PPK.

Fanatic!
:eusa_whistle:

Yes, the grip is smaller, but I have very large hands and I have no issue with it. The Walther PPK is chambered in a .380 which is why the P64 has such a snappy recoil, it's chambered in the larger 9x18 while being the same size and roughly the same weight as the PPK.

At the time I had a PPK/S, the intent was a medium frame handgun. The world of handguns is light years ahead of what was available then. I actually mostly carried a S&W Model 13 (J frame) .357 magnum with a 3" barrel.

I also at one time had a Colt Officer's ACP, but it was heavy and the barrel so short it was like firing a .44 Magnum. None of the handguns in that era were anything but steel and my favorite attire at the time was shorts tank tops.

I admittedly haven't kept up with the handgun world lately other than to browse.

Fanatic!
:eusa_whistle:

You can now purchase the equivalent for around $1200. At the time, you either did the work, or had it done. Ed Brown now mass produces them and you can get the basic for the aforementioned price and go up to $3K or so if you want a race gun.

I paid $498. for a stock, Springfield Armory M1911-A1 when the Colt equivalent was $700.

I think I am going to get the glock 19, and perhaps get the s&w mp at a later date.

On a side note, if you are looking for extreme conceal-ability, consider the new Ruger LCP. 6+1 rounds of .380 ACP in a 9.4oz package, less than an inch wide, five inches long. You can conceal this piece on the beach! Surprisingly, new models are only $300.

Has quite the kick, hence the nickname noisy cricket.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5DrJMW1qAI]YouTube - Ruger LCP[/ame]

Last edited:
I believe I am going to go with the Glock 19 9m for several reasons.

I probably won't carry very much.

The main reasons I am getting the Concealed Pistol's License is because

• I am afraid Obama might take away the right
  • It makes it more convenient to carry it to the range, rather than unload it and store it in the trunk
  • To buy another gun I don't have to get a permit to purchase
  • I wanted to take the course so I learn more about it

I am going with the Glock 19 because

1. Although it's 9 mm instead of a more powerful .40, if I can place my shots better that is more important than the higher caliber
  2. It will be more fun to shoot at the range
  3. Glock is known for reliability and dependibility, and a lot of law enforcement as well as military use the Glock 19

A bit more about the gun...

Glock pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the input guys.

I am getting my concealed pistols license.

I am trying to decide between a glock 19 9 mm and a s&w mp .40 caliber.

Suggestions?

make sure you go to a gun show to get your LIBERAL HUNTING PERMIT
and your targets with pictures of prominent liberals and democrats to target practice with

you're NOT a real conservative if you don't have those

Forum List

Back