Fire this teacher

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) - Federal authorities are investigating UNC-Chapel Hill after a February incident in which an English instructor singled out a conservative student for "hate speech."

The probe will analyze whether the teacher's actions amounted to harassment and whether the school reacted appropriately.

A letter from the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill announced the decision last week. Education department spokesman Rodger Murphey says several people filed complaints about the incident with his department.

School faculty members passed a resolution Friday committing themselves to principles of "intellectual independence, nondiscrimination on the basis of, among others, race, sex and sexual orientation, free speech and expression."

It also said political affiliation should play no part in hiring faculty. Conservative students at the school recently have lamented that Democrats dominate academia.

The incident resulted from an exchange last month in an English class during which a student said he opposed homosexuality. Instructor Elyse Crystall sent an e-mail message Feb. 6 to students in the class criticizing the student.

"what we heard thursday at the end of class constitutes 'hate speech' and is completely unacceptable. it has created a hostile environment," she wrote.

She referred to the student by name, calling him "a white, heterosexual, christian male" who "can feel entitled to make violent, heterosexist comments and not feel marked or threatened or vulnerable."

http://newsobserver.com/nc24hour/ncnews/story/3456298p-3072345c.html

Dumb Redneck! hahahah!

You know, seems in NJ, the only thing the kids learn on politics in school is the democratic way. My Son came home, again, with Time for Kids, all on Kerry! and other work brought home, all DEMOCRATS! I don't think they should be teaching one way, it should be both and let the kids decide as they get older where they stand.

Originally posted by janeeng
Dumb Redneck! hahahah!

You know, seems in NJ, the only thing the kids learn on politics in school is the democratic way. My Son came home, again, with Time for Kids, all on Kerry! and other work brought home, all DEMOCRATS! I don't think they should be teaching one way, it should be both and let the kids decide as they get older where they stand.

Not only politics, but religion as well. But first, we have to teach our kids to think and reason effectively...Not just memorize-regurgitate-forget for standardized tests.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Not only politics, but religion as well. But first, we have to teach our kids to think and reason effectively...Not just memorize-regurgitate-forget for standardized tests.

This is VERY true Bully! Yes, religion should also be a choice, and not forced onto. Just a shame the way things are today, compares to the way they were years ago!

It seems to me that you all would want to look into the story more JUST IN CASE theres more to it thats not being presented before you go off half cocked, like you all told me with the warrant issues in two other threads.

My thought on the story is that its completely one sided, it seems like its based on the one students account of the incident and thats that. The email in question isn't published, so do we truly know its a criticism or is it a continued debate on the discussion they were having.

My thoughts on the subject itself are like yours SE, political BELIEFS, shouldn't be something thats pushed upon others. Tell the sides and let the rest be chosen by the individual after the fact.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
My thought on the story is that its completely one sided, it seems like its based on the one students account of the incident and thats that. The email in question isn't published, so do we truly know its a criticism or is it a continued debate on the discussion they were having.

My thoughts on the subject itself are like yours SE, political BELIEFS, shouldn't be something thats pushed upon others. Tell the sides and let the rest be chosen by the individual after the fact.
I agree that the story seems one sided. I will add that the story does seem a bit strange; just because he doesn't believe in homosexuality and doesn't accept it in the mainstream doesn't mean that he is homophobic nor does it mean that he hates homosexuals. I agree that it would be interesting to find out exactly what he said and how in order to determine the appropriate response of the authorities. I do think, however, that it's irrelevant. The problem that I have is with what she did, not her motives of trying to create a classroom of tolerance.

I see no excuse for sending emails to other students about one individual student. It doesn't matter what started the entire argument and the student may indeed have been wrong and needed to have appropriate action taken so that he didn't do it again.

However... in my opinion, I see no excuse for what she did. To use this type of "discipline" shows that she's not intelligent or sane enough to be around children. Children do stupid things. They make mistakes.

She's an adult. She deserves to lose her job for behaving like a sanctimonious pig and choosing to chastise him via email instead of acting like a grown up and discussing it with him face to face.

Let's see:

Evil Hater said, "I oppose homosexuality."

Tolerant Teacher said, "This white, Christian male offends us all with his hate speech and feels entitled to say whatever he wants."

So, who's the "hater" here?

Can anyone get a more full story on this? I haven't been able to find one. It would be nice to hear what the teacher has to say. If the student's account is correct, yes the teacher should be fired. I doubt, however, it is as simple as was presented.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
Can anyone get a more full story on this? I haven't been able to find one. It would be nice to hear what the teacher has to say. If the student's account is correct, yes the teacher should be fired. I doubt, however, it is as simple as was presented.

acludem

This is all I need to know:

She referred to the student by name, calling him "a white, heterosexual, christian male" who "can feel entitled to make violent, heterosexist comments and not feel marked or threatened or vulnerable."

Is that the students' story, Jimmy? Does the teacher deny saying this? I'd like to hear both sides of this story before jumping to conclusions.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
Is that the students' story, Jimmy? Does the teacher deny saying this? I'd like to hear both sides of this story before jumping to conclusions.

acludem

Jesus, they quoted what she wrote in her first email, and then they quoted again when she email out an apology. Are you inferring that maybe they are just making that up?

There is no need to hear anymore. We should expect this kind of stuff from the students, but it's completely unacceptable for a teacher to act in this fashion.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Jesus, they quoted what she wrote in her first email, and then they quoted again when she email out an apology. Are you inferring that maybe they are just making that up?

There is no need to hear anymore. We should expect this kind of stuff from the students, but it's completely unacceptable for a teacher to act in this fashion.

No today's university professors, they are solidly on the left.

As you can see from my location, I believe I can speak on the general subject, though not this specific incident.

Back in 1993 I attended UNC as a political science major. Recently, I had converted from a bleeding-heart Cuomo liberal to a Gingrich-Republican. Well, one day, when the professor --Richardson, I believe-- was defaming Ronald Reagan & his record, I spoke up and buried him with the facts. I could tell that he was embarrassed by my vanquishing of him in front of his students/test subjects, but I was still naive to the vicious ways of revenge which are a hallmark of liberalism.

When later that month I turned in a paper on how Reagan won the Cold War, I got a C on it, even though every person whom I allowed to read it commented that it was first-rate quality & deserving of an A.

If you think I was being paranoid, take into account what he wrote on the last page:

"Good work. I'm sure you will someday make a great speechwriter for Pat Buchanan."

I just laughed thinking about how petty liberals are when you show their intellectual bankruptcy to the world. Plus, I NEVER liked Pat Buchanan.

It should be known that if you replace the location in this article with "CANADA", you have reality.

In Canada, you get jail time for quoting Biblical scripture which MAY be considered in opposition to the practice of homosexuality.

It is called "hate speech" -even if read from a Bible, even in context.

In other words, sermons can't even be preached with those verses.

If you think this can't/won't happen here, you are sadly mistaken.

Forum List

Back