Finland man gets $216,900 speeding ticket

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
HELSINKI, Finland - Police gave a record $216,900 speeding ticket to a millionaire under a system in which traffic fines are linked to an offender's income.

The Iltalehti tabloid reported that millionaire Jussi Salonoja zoomed through the city center last weekend in a 25 mph zone and police handed him a ticket of $216,900. It didn't say what his speed was.

The fine was based on information they got directly for the inland revenue office, the Tuesday report said.

Salonoja, 27, could not be reached for comment, and police declined to discuss the alleged speeding incident until it reaches the Helsinki Regional Court at a later date.

Although it's the costliest ticket to date, it's not the first with a big price tag.

Two years ago, Anssi Vanjoki, then executive vice president of Nokia (news - web sites)'s mobile phones division, landed a $148,000 ticket after being caught doing 46 mph in a 31 mph zone on a motorcycle.

It was later lowered to about $7,500 after he showed a court that his income had dropped, but not before Finns flew into a rage over the high fine. But, after weeks of Parliament debates, discussions on TV shows and expressions of disgust in the media, Finns did nothing and the system remained.

Other hefty speeding tickets have included a $71,000 one for a professional hockey player and one for $190,000 given to one of Finland's wealthiest people.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ap/20040210/ap_on_fe_st/finland_speeding_fine

talk about unfriendly tourist laws....if I ever go to bed and wake up independently wealthy, I know where I'm NOT going to visit! What a crock.

Originally posted by Johnney
shit im so poor they would be giving me money...lol

Same here! LOL

"Sir, you have been found guilty of travelling at a rate of speed 35mph over the speed limit. Here's $500 for your troubles"

shit im so poor they would be giving me money...lol

sounds very familiar.....I'm just waiting for my Sugar Daddy to find me:kiss2:

Originally posted by WheatonGal
sounds very familiar.....I'm just waiting for my Sugar Daddy to find me:kiss2:

Hmmmmm.....

And what would this sugar daddy get? :D

Originally posted by jon_forward
somehow I dont think we have the money its going to take to get the name of suger daddy....on some days daddys bad enough:D

daddy's never a bad moniker ;)

Originally posted by jimnyc
What if this sugar daddy had a good sense of humor, but an empty wallet?
your diggin now... she said his moneys worth.....lol
if thats the case, i have 8 bucks

Originally posted by jimnyc
What if this sugar daddy had a good sense of humor, but an empty wallet?

ah, but a good sense of humor is worth much more than money, so say swamie :arabia: :laugh:

Originally posted by WheatonGal
ah, but a good sense of humor is worth much more than money, so say swamie :arabia: :laugh:

I always knew that swamie bastard knew his shit!

your diggin now... she said his moneys worth.....lol
if thats the case, i have 8 bucks

I believe in an honest day's work for an honest day's wage :beer:

New Topics

Forum List

Back