Finland considers religious profiling in airports

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Airport security may soon start scanning travellers based on their religion or citizenship. A syndicate of regional papers reports that a policy of passenger profiling may be adopted if Finland begins using new -- and controversial -- electromagnetic scanners.

Finland's aviation authority Finavia is considering whether to invest in electromagnetic scanners. But their bulky size and prohibitive expense means they would not entirely replace standard metal detectors.

This is why, explains Finavia's head of corporate security Jyri Vikström, they may use passenger profiling in addition to random scans. Vikström adds that profiling would require the approval of the European Union. He does not think it is a question of discrimination.

The so-called X-ray scanners have also caused controversy because they appear to take naked pictures of the people scanned. The subject's naked outline is clear, as are some anatomical details.

Passengers' Religion May Lead to X-Ray Scan | News | YLE Uutiset | yle.fi

Good idea?

Good question. It's interesting that that detail was left out of the article. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I am definitely against children and grannies having to go through those scanners.

Good question. It's interesting that that detail was left out of the article. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I am definitely against children and grannies having to go through those scanners.
Sounds absurd to me. How would they even know what someone's religion was?
A person could declare themself to be any religion they want.

Hmmm... them Lutherans are such diabolical terrorists. I can't count all the church basement lutefisk bombings they have committed over the years. :funnyface:

I'm for it. Your religion is known for suicide bombings? You deserve extra scrutiny. MAYBE if this becomes personally inconvenient enough due to association with these bastards in your religion, you will DO something about them.

Sure, let them pull me aside for an hour and frisk me for bombs while the explosive-laden man in Western business attire boards the plane unnoticed. Great plan. :lol:

Sounds absurd to me. How would they even know what someone's religion was?
A person could declare themself to be any religion they want.

You could start out with the bacon test and go from there

it would work for awhile....then they will just pretend to be something else....it is why the drink and hang out in strip clubs....they think it throws us off....

There you go. Everyone boarding a plane is required to eat a strip of bacon before boarding.

Those that refuse get intensive screening. So Vegetarians, Jews and Muslims get weeded out for special consideration.

That's gonna be messy.

Forum List

Back