Finland and Switzerland paving the way for the future of Teaching?

After reading the article I agree schools have not changed much in the last 200 years and they should.

With today Technology it should be incorporated more than it is when it come to our school systems and the old system need to be scrapped.

The U.S. does not even rank in the top ten while Canada and the U.K. made the list.

Finland, Switzerland and New Zealand lead the way at teaching skills for the future

Finland, Switzerland and New Zealand lead the way at teaching skills for the future

Your article implies that technology can help teach children "emotional intelligence, creative thinking, and collaboration" that traditional teaching can't.

Your article links to a ranking of the most needed skills for the 21st century. The first three are:
  1. Complex problem solving
  2. Critical thinking
  3. Creativity
10 skills you'll need to survive the rise of automation

I agree that technology can help but we need to set the right priorities for our children's education and the complex problem solving, critical thinking and creativity is the more needed focus for kids.

Take a look at "Flipped Classrooms".

Do you know how few students actually have reliable internet access at home with sufficient bandwidth to accomplish this?

Flipped classrooms don't require internet at home, however a computer can make the entire process easier. Agreement with publishers allows for the creation of CDs with reference materials on the subject area that students should read through in preparation for class.

The Flipped classroom methodology is that students come to class having read materials and apply their knowledge while in class. The focus in on applied learning.

CDs????? Most computers don't even have DVD or CD drives. Your definition of a flipped classroom is not correct and very outdated. Instruction is accomplished with online videos because kids do not read.

Memory sticks or SD cards if they are using a tablet but the reality is that most laptops still offer DVD players .... which can also play CDs. Videos are one of many options that can be added to any of the mentioned media support options but is not the only option.

Its not about dumbing-down education for the illiterate, although that is the option you seem to prefer. It's about having students learning by doing. Reading materials, exercises, and basic simulations are part of a long list of in-home activities that are used.

The crux is that students are challenged to understand dynamics, assess and resolve problems and incorporate creativity where possible.

After reading the article I agree schools have not changed much in the last 200 years and they should.

With today Technology it should be incorporated more than it is when it come to our school systems and the old system need to be scrapped.

The U.S. does not even rank in the top ten while Canada and the U.K. made the list.

Your article implies that technology can help teach children "emotional intelligence, creative thinking, and collaboration" that traditional teaching can't.

Your article links to a ranking of the most needed skills for the 21st century. The first three are:
  2. Critical thinking
  3. Creativity

I agree that technology can help but we need to set the right priorities for our children's education and the complex problem solving, critical thinking and creativity is the more needed focus for kids.

Do you know how few students actually have reliable internet access at home with sufficient bandwidth to accomplish this?

Flipped classrooms don't require internet at home, however a computer can make the entire process easier. Agreement with publishers allows for the creation of CDs with reference materials on the subject area that students should read through in preparation for class.

The Flipped classroom methodology is that students come to class having read materials and apply their knowledge while in class. The focus in on applied learning.

CDs????? Most computers don't even have DVD or CD drives. Your definition of a flipped classroom is not correct and very outdated. Instruction is accomplished with online videos because kids do not read.

Memory sticks or SD cards if they are using a tablet but the reality is that most laptops still offer DVD players .... which can also play CDs. Videos are one of many options that can be added to any of the mentioned media support options but is not the only option.

Its not about dumbing-down education for the illiterate, although that is the option you seem to prefer. It's about having students learning by doing. Reading materials, exercises, and basic simulations are part of a long list of in-home activities that are used.

The crux is that students are challenged to understand dynamics, assess and resolve problems and incorporate creativity where possible.

I just retired after 21 years in the classroom. I am sorry but your information is outdated and inaccurate. I had extensive training on "flipped' classrooms" and I can tell you it does not work for the vast majority of students in a rural high school setting. Most laptops do NOT offer the DVD ROMs because they are incredibly expensive to incorporate and almost useless in a broadband environment. None of the computers we issued to students had that capability and that was over the last 6 years I was teaching.

My daughter is an Army officer and just recently bought a laptop for use overseas during her last deployment. Her previous computers all had DVD drives so she could watch movies. New computer? Nope. No need when you can stream the Internet, assuming you have service, for which she paid through the nose!

Kids stopped bothering to carry their laptops home because they were about as useful as doorstops when they left the classroom. The parents did not or could not afford the cost of broadband Internet in their homes. They did use them at school to check their Facebook, Instagram and Twitter instead of their cell phones. Maybe technology will catch up one day, but right now it is an epic failure.

2. Critical thinking
  3. Creativity

I just retired after 21 years in the classroom. I am sorry but your information is outdated and inaccurate. I had extensive training on "flipped' classrooms" and I can tell you it does not work for the vast majority of students in a rural high school setting. Most laptops do NOT offer the DVD ROMs because they are incredibly expensive to incorporate and almost useless in a broadband environment. None of the computers we issued to students had that capability and that was over the last 6 years I was teaching.

My daughter is an Army officer and just recently bought a laptop for use overseas during her last deployment. Her previous computers all had DVD drives so she could watch movies. New computer? Nope. No need when you can stream the Internet, assuming you have service, for which she paid through the nose!

Kids stopped bothering to carry their laptops home because they were about as useful as doorstops when they left the classroom. The parents did not or could not afford the cost of broadband Internet in their homes. They did use them at school to check their Facebook, Instagram and Twitter instead of their cell phones. Maybe technology will catch up one day, but right now it is an epic failure.

Dell just sold me my laptop with a DVD. Surprising. Any way my point is that smart phones, tablets and small screen laptops provide support for media through USB ports, smart card ports and other hardware connectivity. Cloud is not the end all.

Sorry that your experience led you to the conclusion that Flipped classroom is "an epic failure". It is true that regions and cultures differ and all students are not the same but on the whole the one major task that teachers are charged with is to motivate their students. This is where you find the greatest failure.

I will admit that a Flipped classroom methodology is hard work for any teacher. When teachers lecture they can limit students to questions related to the material covered. However in a Flipped classroom environment each student may address the classroom problems from different perspectives, based on their individual learning styles. If the desired learning outcomes for students are to enhance critical thinking and creativity, Flipped classroom methodology can be too hard for many teachers.

Dell just sold me my laptop with a DVD. Surprising. Any way my point is that smart phones, tablets and small screen laptops provide support for media through USB ports, smart card ports and other hardware connectivity. Cloud is not the end all.

Sorry that your experience led you to the conclusion that Flipped classroom is "an epic failure". It is true that regions and cultures differ and all students are not the same but on the whole the one major task that teachers are charged with is to motivate their students. This is where you find the greatest failure.

I will admit that a Flipped classroom methodology is hard work for any teacher. When teachers lecture they can limit students to questions related to the material covered. However in a Flipped classroom environment each student may address the classroom problems from different perspectives, based on their individual learning styles. If the desired learning outcomes for students are to enhance critical thinking and creativity, Flipped classroom methodology can be too hard for many teachers.

I never said that you could not buy one. Schools use Chromebooks or something similar that are heavily internet dependent.

How many years did you teach and where?

I never said that you could not buy one. Schools use Chromebooks or something similar that are heavily internet dependent.

I started teaching in 1997 and taught my last class in 2013, although I remain involved in e-learning development.

I started teaching in 1997 and taught my last class in 2013, although I remain involved in e-learning development.

Teaching what and where?

I started teaching in 1996 and retired in 2018. I taught high school and middle school math and social studies. I served as an assistant principal and taught in 7 different school districts in two states, Florida and Kentucky, and for the Department of Defense on an Army post.

Forum List

Back