Fingerprints Now Required At Skateboard Park

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
If you live in Poway, California your kids will have to be fingerprinted if they want to use the skateboard park and submit to a fingerprint scanner in order to gain entry. More state and local governments all around the country as well as the Feds are shredding the Bill of Rights a little more every day. George Orwell had no idea what an accurate prediction he made.

Up until 6 p.m. Friday, skaters could simply walk right through and pretty much do whatever they want.

After 6 p.m., however, a fingerprint scan will be required in order to enter the skate park. Skaters will have to register their fingerprints and have a photo taken in advance.

City officials said the new security measure will allow law enforcement to determine who was at the park if something were to happen there. The city also said the added security measure is an effort to stop an increase in vandalism, drug use and break ins that have plagued the park for the last five years.

"This is a city park; it has to be returned to the citizens. We want kids in here, we want adults in here, we want a secure, safe environment; this is not a free-for-all," said Poway City Councilman Jim Cunningham.

Fingerprints Now Required At Poway Skate Park - San Diego News Story - KGTV San Diego

This will work, no one will go to the park at all, thus solving the crime problem there.

Either that or they will all climb the fence, thus not solving the crime problem.

On the one hand, I can see there reasoning, on the other, come on, there has to be a better way to accomplish your goals. How about hiring security and only taking pictures of trouble makers and not allowing them back in? Too much common sense?

Its only at night time guys.

you can still use the park without submitting to anything.

you just have to use it in the day time.

No gestapo is not there, they are doing this because hiring security was too expensive

DisheyWorld uses biometrics to enter its parks.

I think the cost of the little toys isnt worth the effort.

However if they want to use the park and are not causing any problems then they should complain that the city is offering such a park for free. Its still free choice, use the park or not. If you want to use the park give up your fingerprints, if not play somewhere else.

Has anyone determined the REASON they are being printed? I know there are many places that use fingerprints as membership ID's. There's a tanning salon in our area that uses that media. If the park requires a payment to use the park or sells memberships, that may be the reason they are using the fingerprint system. Some office buildings also use print ID for allowed access. And, it could also be the local law enforcement keeping tabs on kids with records. A borderline violation of rights, but no more so than surveillance cameras. It's only a violation if the only reason they are requiring the prints is for law enforcement. If they are using the system as a membership ID, then there's really no violation. Not to mention, the person being printed has the right to say no to printing and go skate somewhere else.
if it were a private enterprise, maybe
this is a city park

DisheyWorld uses biometrics to enter its parks.

I think the cost of the little toys isnt worth the effort.

However if they want to use the park and are not causing any problems then they should complain that the city is offering such a park for free. Its still free choice, use the park or not. If you want to use the park give up your fingerprints, if not play somewhere else.
so say good bye to "innocent until proven guilty"

No, they are using it as a law enforcement technique, there is no membership to this park.

I don't think I'd even be ok with them requiring membership to use a public park. I mean it's a PUBLIC park.

Has anyone determined the REASON they are being printed? I know there are many places that use fingerprints as membership ID's. There's a tanning salon in our area that uses that media. If the park requires a payment to use the park or sells memberships, that may be the reason they are using the fingerprint system. Some office buildings also use print ID for allowed access. And, it could also be the local law enforcement keeping tabs on kids with records. A borderline violation of rights, but no more so than surveillance cameras. It's only a violation if the only reason they are requiring the prints is for law enforcement. If they are using the system as a membership ID, then there's really no violation. Not to mention, the person being printed has the right to say no to printing and go skate somewhere else.
this is a city park

It'll be a ghost town after 6

this is a city park

It'll be a ghost town after 6

Yes , this was a good idea. Let's militarize a park so that kids will choose to go do other, potentially more criminal , things. Damn people are stupid sometimes.

Forum List

Back