Fine Arts Majors Have A Higher Unemployment Rate Than High School Dropouts

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
fine%20arts%20unemployment%20rate.jpg

This really isn’t news.

What is astonishing is that if that number is indeed correct, college grads with a fine arts degree are far worse off than the average high school dropout in the labor market. Even the lucky ones who do have a job are worse off. The rest are not only unemployed, but probably drowning in student-loan debt.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate for people with less than a high school diploma is 5.7% - significantly better than those with art school degrees - as America's employers increasingly turn to the cheapest unemployed resources and train them on the spot.

Much more @ Fine Arts Majors Have A Higher Unemployment Rate Than High School Dropouts

This really isn’t news.

What is astonishing is that if that number is indeed correct, college grads with a fine arts degree are far worse off than the average high school dropout in the labor market. Even the lucky ones who do have a job are worse off. The rest are not only unemployed, but probably drowning in student-loan debt.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate for people with less than a high school diploma is 5.7% - significantly better than those with art school degrees - as America's employers increasingly turn to the cheapest unemployed resources and train them on the spot.

Much more @ Fine Arts Majors Have A Higher Unemployment Rate Than High School Dropouts
If only someone could have warned the students that a degree in rap dancing may not give them that 6 figure salary.

Fine arts majors should look for work in Trump country where the unskilled and uneducated live. They could live like kings.

This really isn’t news.

I think a lot of it has to do with mindset. The high school dropouts I meet who do better than college grads are not looking for that dream job but finding jobs that pay well regardless how dangerous it is or if the hours are bad and they don't care about working conditions.

Fine art majors I have met have this dreamy artistic mindset of only going after a job in fine arts and are not opening job options. You got be very artistically talented to make it in fine arts. The few I have met who made it in fine arts had some amazing artistic ability that not many people have.

Well, I am guessing that the Fine Arts Majors are holding out for jobs in the fields they went to university for...hence the higher unemployment rate.

Though I am quite sure that if they abandoned that notion and applied for the same jobs that high school dropouts did...their unemployment rate would undoubtedly be lower as university students usually have higher IQ's than non-university students (let alone high school dropouts).

Average IQ of university students is around 115 IQ points - read more.

Having said that, I have long thought that such degrees are generally useless...especially if you have to go into big debt to pay for them.

`
"A Bachelor of Fine Arts degree will often require an area of specialty such as acting, musical theatre, game design, ceramics, computer animation, creative writing, dance, dramatic writing, drawing, fiber, film production, visual effects, animation, graphic design, illustration, industrial design, visual arts, technical arts, interior design, metalworking, music, new media, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture, stage management, or television production. Some schools instead give their students a broad education in many disciplines of the arts."
`

After a successful career in IT, my son is back in school getting a degree in Fine Arts. He has his eye on retirement as an illustrator. That's the way to do it.

Forum List

Back