Finding Nemo

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Watched this one Friday night. First of all, this is easily the best-looking Disney movie to date. As you probably know, most of it takes place in the ocean, and every small detail you could possibly think of was worked into it. Even if the story sucked, this one would've gotten three stars just for how great it looks. But, alas, it also has a great story about a young clownfish who is caught by divers and placed in a fish tank in a dentist's office. His overprotective father and another fish he meets along the way set out to look for him. Like most recent Disney movies, it seems that the majority of the humor is geared toward adults, but kids will definitely enjoy it too. And, luckily, it wasn't quite as sad as Monsters, Inc. or Lilo & Stitch, but I gotta admit I did sorta keep my tradition going by shedding a little tear at two parts. Overall, it was a great movie, maybe a little too weird to become a real Disney classic, but it's really good. I give it 4 stars.

Definatley!!! Also, if you buy this movie on DVD...you get 2 full movies. One on each disk. One disk has widescreen and the other has the normal version. Both have all the extras...so if you wanted to share with someone. :)

So run right out and get it Jackass and send the FREEBIE to me! :D

I got so screwed at Blockbuster when I went to rent this. They all looked the same so I just grabbed one off the shelf, got home and found that I had gotten the full-screen version. Now, I'm one of those total geeks who has to see a movie in widescreen, and it really bugged me to have to watch it in full-frame. That's why I hate going to Blockbuster, you have to look real close to make sure you're not getting a full-frame version.

Oh and Janeen..I bought it the day it was released. :D

Will send it to you when you send my package!! :rolleyes: :D

The difference IS you lose up to 33% of the sides of the frame depending on the ratio aspect of the movie you're watching if you watch it full-frame. While that may not mean much to you guys, I consider some movies works of art and as such, feel that they should be seen the way the director originally wanted them to be seen.

Dan understood...but with widescreen..you lose detail and the subjects are smaller to fit into the widescreen.

Jim..definately a piece of art!!

Finding Nemo = work of art?
Yeah, in all honesty, I can't think of a better-looking film since maybe Punch-Drunk Love.

Dan understood...but with widescreen..you lose detail and the subjects are smaller to fit into the widescreen.
Well, to be technical, it is actually a more detailed, cleaner picture because the image is not being stretched to fit your television screen. But, yeah, I'll admit widescreen does make all the action a little smaller, which sucks if you have a small TV.

Still, there's certain movies (goodfellas, pulp fiction, magnolia, boogie nights, punch-drunk love) that I couldn't even think of watching full-frame. See, when there is lots of stuff going on all over the screen like in these movies, or if the camera moves around a lot, they have to do what is called "pan and scan" which basically means, they digitally "move" the camera across the screen to get in all the onscreen action. It can totally change the feel of a scene. For example, the scene at Jackrabbit Slim's in Pulp Fiction where Vincent and Mia are first talking to each other, for most of it, the characters are on either side of the frame, so they had to pan and scan between every line. Because the dialogue is delivered so rapid-fire, they were forced to insert pauses while they moved across the cropped frame. The average viewer probably wouldn't notice or care, but an avid film fan like me is really irked by this. It's like, imagine someone playing your favorite song, then about halfway through, once you're in the groove, they start just pausing and unpausing it at random moments. Movies (good movies, I mean) have just as much rhythm as a song, in my opinion.

OK, that's enough for today's lesson, class. Questions?

I cannot wait to get this movie. I ordered it from our Netflix but we still have a few DVD's out yet. I hope the boy likes it or, Uncle, you'll be babysitting him when you're here! I also can't wait to see Brother Bear.

I watched this with my family last weekend. Definitely a 4 star movie... Disney's best since Monsters Inc, maybe even since Lion King.

I will watch the boy Moi! Just need the camera each time I am with that boy, he is priceless! he makes my day when I am with him! This is the first year that I can't wait for the Holidays just to spend with that kid! hahahahahha!!!!!!!

Originally posted by janeeng
I will watch the boy Moi! Just need the camera each time I am with that boy, he is priceless! he makes my day when I am with him! This is the first year that I can't wait for the Holidays just to spend with that kid! hahahahahha!!!!!!!

I am now watching Finding Nemo again with my son...it's terrific! I love the special effects and the bonus stuff on the disc too! Highly recommend.

Moi, have you seen Monsters, Inc.? That's probably my favorite Disney movie ever, that or Toy Story.

Originally posted by Dan
Moi, have you seen Monsters, Inc.? That's probably my favorite Disney movie ever, that or Toy Story.

I tried, but with the boy on hand wasn't able to get into it. I will have to try again because I love the little green guy! I couldn't get into Ice Age either. For some reason there aren't many movies that he will watch (and thus, let me watch) and I have such a hard time figuring out what's going on so I give up. When I find a movie that he really sits down with (remember that darn Franklin movie????) I end up watching so much that I memorize everything.

BTW: just saw legally blond 2...not as good as the first but definitely entertaining in a fluffy way.

I never saw the first Legally Blonde. Finding Nemo was really the only new movie that I'd been wanting to see lately.

If I had some movies I thought your boy would like, I'd bring them up during Christmas and let your husband copy them, but I was just looking and sadly, almost all of my movies are R-rated or worse. Actually,the only thing I have that could even qualify as a kids' movie is Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Oh, well.

On another topic, have you ever seen Almost Famous or American Beauty. Those are two of my all-time favorite movies, just wondering if you've seen them?

Forum List

Back