Finally, the Nuclear Option!!!

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
For the life of me, I never quite understood why the 60 vote threshold was there to start with. As I understand, it was even more severe in the past which is even more bizarre. Having a 51 vote threshold in the Senate is what it should be.

While we are on the subject, the Dems are wrong for filibustering the Supreme Court pick; at least as wrong as the GOP was for not having a hearing for Garland. Trump’s nominee doesn’t seem as bad as it could be otherwise.

We should insist, however, that the Senate (preferably the Constitution) have something written to make sure that the person/bill/measure/act/whatever get at least 51 votes to pass. Mitch McConnell could re-work the rules to allow the nomination’s passing with a single vote if he wanted to and had enough support.

I know, I know, “we’ll never get to that point” right? Did you think our politics would ever devolve to this point?

For the life of me, I never quite understood why the 60 vote threshold was there to start with. As I understand, it was even more severe in the past which is even more bizarre. Having a 51 vote threshold in the Senate is what it should be.

While we are on the subject, the Dems are wrong for filibustering the Supreme Court pick; at least as wrong as the GOP was for not having a hearing for Garland. Trump’s nominee doesn’t seem as bad as it could be otherwise.

We should insist, however, that the Senate (preferably the Constitution) have something written to make sure that the person/bill/measure/act/whatever get at least 51 votes to pass. Mitch McConnell could re-work the rules to allow the nomination’s passing with a single vote if he wanted to and had enough support.

I know, I know, “we’ll never get to that point” right? Did you think our politics would ever devolve to this point?
The filibuster is over used. It really took off when Clinton was potus and went for the moon when Obama got elected.

Filibuster in the United States Senate - Wikipedia

the only recollection I have of it from when I was a kid was the civil rights act.

I don't like the idea of doing away with the filibuster I think the minority party should have a way to have a say in things and it gives them that. However if your going to filibuster it should be an actual filibuster where you have to stand up there and talk.

If it wasn’t the Republicans changing the rules to suit them, it would be the Democrats.
If it wasn’t over this, it would be over something else.
When you have the supposed best and be brightest not caring about the means but only the ends; you’re bound to end up here.

I think that if Mrs. Clinton had been elected with a Democrat Senate, you would also have seen the end of the Filibuster.

Its sort of disingenuous for Chuck U. Schumer to complain about something he was going to do in the same position as Sen. McConnell.

Can I buy coffee for the filiboostering numbnuts

They taught us as kids in the 8th Grade about it in 8th Grade US History.

The teacher never explained it too well.

Wiki does a better job of it:

Filibuster in the United States Senate - Wikipedia

I don't like the idea of doing away with the filibuster I think the minority party should have a way to have a say in things and it gives them that. However if your going to filibuster it should be an actual filibuster where you have to stand up there and talk.
There are only 2 things that the U.S. Constitution requires a supermajority for:

1 - amending the constitution

2 - convicting the POTUS upon impeachment.

Forum List

Back