Finally the Ethics Panel Goes Into Overdrive

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Yep, over Burris. Not that I'll be sorry to see him go, indeed not. However, he was seated to keep the Chicago connections quiet prior to inauguration. Then our own Michael Madigan made sure his amended testimony was hidden until after the stimulus vote. Now they can't wait to get rid of him.

Senate Ethics Panel Could Act on Burris Without Waiting for Criminal Investigation

Senate Ethics Panel Could Act on Burris Without Waiting for Criminal Investigation

By Bart Jansen, CQ Staff
Fri Feb 20, 3:26 pm ET
The Senate Ethics Committee could complete its inquiry of Roland W. Burris within weeks and without waiting for any possible criminal case about discrepancies in statements about his appointment, lawyers familiar with the panel said Friday.

Committee investigations sometimes last months and often defer to criminal cases, such as in last year's trial of Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska. But because Burris, an Illinois Democrat, has offered multiple explanations about how he was appointed, the committee could focus on how he was seated rather than results of a potential criminal charge of perjury.

"The committee could look at this and say that the core activities here really go to the Senate appointment," said Robert L. Walker of Wiley Rein LLP, a former chief counsel and staff director for the Senate and House ethics committees. "The committee could look at those as core Senate issues and we're going to look at those and not defer."....

So when are they going to go after the ethical investigations into Senators Kent Conrad and Chris Dodd over their shady dealings with Countrywide CEO Angelo Mozilo? John Murtha? Progress on that issue has slowed to a near crawl, but Burris?

Reid must still be upset that he was seated:

“It is truly regrettable that despite requests from all 50 Democratic Senators and public officials throughout Illinois, Gov. Blagojevich would take the imprudent step of appointing someone to the United States Senate who would serve under a shadow and be plagued by questions of impropriety. We say this without prejudice toward Roland Burris’s ability, and we respect his years of public service. But this is not about Mr. Burris; it is about the integrity of a governor accused of attempting to sell this United States Senate seat. Under these circumstances, anyone appointed by Gov. Blagojevich cannot be an effective representative of the people of Illinois and, as we have said, will not be seated by the Democratic Caucus.

Reid: Burris Won't Be Seated, By Manu Raju - CBS News

Reid must still be upset that he was seated:

“It is truly regrettable that despite requests from all 50 Democratic Senators and public officials throughout Illinois, Gov. Blagojevich would take the imprudent step of appointing someone to the United States Senate who would serve under a shadow and be plagued by questions of impropriety. We say this without prejudice toward Roland Burris’s ability, and we respect his years of public service. But this is not about Mr. Burris; it is about the integrity of a governor accused of attempting to sell this United States Senate seat. Under these circumstances, anyone appointed by Gov. Blagojevich cannot be an effective representative of the people of Illinois and, as we have said, will not be seated by the Democratic Caucus.

Reid: Burris Won't Be Seated, By Manu Raju - CBS News

Moreso, Illinois. They know he can't win, but his personality would make him run. They are short circuiting him.

Speaking of 'ethics panel' and Dodd:

Dodd's 'Cottage': A Cozy Purchase -- Courant.com

Dodd's 'Cottage': A Cozy Purchase
Kevin Rennie | NOW YOU KNOW
February 22, 2009

Ireland does not easily give up its secrets. That may have been one attraction it held for Sen. Christopher Dodd in 1994 when he became an owner of a refuge on nearly 10 acres on the Irish west coast. The murky tale includes a felonious inside trader, a Kansas City businessman, a presidential pardon and what appears to be a financial bonanza to Dodd during the Irish property boom....
The Hartford Courant is NOT letting this go. I wonder how long the ethics panel can ignore it? Way more than just Countrywide sweetheart deals.

It's good to see some action by them, but I will wait and see if it actually goes anywhere before i give undo praise.

It's good to see some action by them, but I will wait and see if it actually goes anywhere before i give undo praise.

I'm all for Burris leaving, never should have been there in the first place. However, he came in with no power and even if left in place, would garner none.

What about Dodd and Franks and Murtha?

I'm all for Burris leaving, never should have been there in the first place. However, he came in with no power and even if left in place, would garner none.

What about Dodd and Franks and Murtha?

they should be tared and featured,and run out of town on a rail......like the old days....

He needs to go.

He was there out of the rule of law.

No one wanted him there , they had to seat him.

I find it very funny that now the righties are concerned about oversight. You cared nothing for it during the Bush years.

He needs to go.

I find it very funny that now the righties are concerned about oversight. You cared nothing for it during the Bush years.

I'm curious, could you be more specific? This could make for a good debate.

i love the way if you disagree with Truth....your automatically a .....here goes are you ready.....A RIGHTIE.......

Burris is a Democrat, this will be swept under the rug, and forgotten. After all the Democrats are pure as the driven snow you know.

Asshole response.

He should be kicked out and if he committed any criminal acts, he should be prosecuted.

Sort of like Stevens, Cunningham, etc. but not yet for De Lay.:lol:

What about Dodd and Franks and Murtha?[/QUOTE]

they are disgusting all three of them,.

He needs to go.

I'm curious, could you be more specific? This could make for a good debate.

You do realize the republican congresses under Bush did VERY little oversight of anything.

Tell me how many investigations they did and into what?

Disgusting is Boehner, Waddle Chin and Kantor:eek:

anybody who sits in the US congress is a lowlife fuck.....all of them....

Then you must be an idiot who hates what the founders designed.

I'm so sick of idiotic statements like this.

Its that stupid bullshit republicans have said for years.

"Government is cant do anything right , just elect us and we will prove it."

Then they color anyone who has done good through government with the same Brush they color themselves after fucking it all up.

Dont expect anyone to buy that stupidity there harry.

Disgusting is Boehner, Waddle Chin and Kantor:eek:

anybody who sits in the US congress is a lowlife fuck.....all of them....

Then you must be an idiot who hates what the founders designed.

I'm so sick of idiotic statements like this.

Its that stupid bullshit republicans have said for years.

"Government is cant do anything right , just elect us and we will prove it."

Then they color anyone who has done good through government with the same Brush they color themselves after fucking it all up.

Dont expect anyone to buy that stupidity there harry.

This is your perfect opportunity to tell us what government has done right! Tell us something positive about your country.. What has the government done right? doyathink?

Forum List

Back