Finally! Moderate, mainstream Muslims speak out...

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
KARACHI, Pakistan – More than 500 Muslim scholars are praising the man suspected of killing a Pakistani governor because the politician opposed blasphemy laws that mandate death for those convicted of insulting Islam.

The group of scholars and clerics known as Jamat Ahle Sunnat is affiliated with a moderate school of Islam and represents the mainstream Barelvi sect. The group said in a statement Wednesday that no one should pray for Punjab province Gov. Salman Taseer or express regret for his murder. One of his security guards is the suspected killer.

Yup, these are the moderate ones. :thup:

Pakistan Muslim scholars praise killer of governor - Yahoo! News

Salman Taseer: Thousands mourn Pakistan governor.

BBC Asia Correspondent, Refute Iqbal:

"Thousands of muslims have ignored the dictates of Jamat Ahle Sunnat, that were tenuously reported by the USMB correspondent known only as 'manifold', by attending, en masse, the funeral of the assassinated governor of Punjab, Salman Taseer."

BBC - 'Contrary to that reported by manifold'.

• Banned
Perhaps Slagger should learn the definition of 'contrary' since his link confirms rather than contradicts the story linked in the OP. :cuckoo:

Last edited:
Perhaps Slagger should learn the definition of 'contrary' since his link confirms rather than contradicts the story linked in the OP.

Perhaps sunnifold should look to his own house before throwing stones. I never claimed that this moderate group didn't direct muslims to ignore the funeral, I merely added a link that reported many muslims did, contrary to what they were told/warned, attend the funeral they were supposedly ordered not to attend.

Salam Alaikum, sunnifold.

Perhaps Slagger should learn the definition of 'contrary' since his link confirms rather than contradicts the story linked in the OP.

Perhaps sunnifold should look to his own house before throwing stones. I never claimed that this moderate group didn't direct muslims to ignore the funeral, I merely added a link that reported many muslims did, contrary to what they were told/warned, attend the funeral they were supposedly ordered not to attend.

Supposedly ordered? Are you claiming the report in both stories is false?

• Banned

Backpedal save!

well done :thup:

PS: we'll just ignore the actual text of your mini-editorial 'contrary to that reported by manifold' :eusa_shhh:

Last edited:
I wonder why you didn't post about the actual moderate Muslims that did speak out against the Christian killings. :eusa_eh:

But of course this is no different that when all those moderate, mainstream Christian groups spoke out in support of Tiller's murderer.

Oh wait, that never happened. My bad.

Supposedly ordered? Are you claiming the report in both stories is false?

No, I wasn't "claiming" that what was reported in both stories was false. I included 'supposedly' in the sense that what this "moderate group" dictated wasn't an order/prohibition from a functioning, official body; just a ragtag bunch of beards with delusions of grandeur.

Backpedal save!

well done.

PS: we'll just ignore the actual text of your mini-editorial 'contrary to that reported by manifold'.

Hmmm...

No backpedal, as such, but I will concede that my attempt at antag...er,sorry, clarity, could have been better worded.

In any case, I was only offering what you'd omitted (for whatever reason) to quote from the link you included.

Last edited:
Swagger,

You may not understand the copyright rules, but we're not allowed to paste the full text from articles.

It's pretty normal to paste just the first paragraph and let those who want to read more go to the link.

You're welcome,
manifold

Most gracious, manifold, I wasn't aware. I was merely trying to help. But, rest assured, I'll keep my (troublesome?) nose in check from now on. Unless of course, you call on my, how shall we say, 'expertise' in these matters.

Much obliged,

Swagger

Last edited:

Forum List

Back