Finally installed Ubuntu.

Jon

The CPA
Mar 20, 2008
Fayetteville, AR
Turns out I didn't have to uninstall Windows 7 after all to create a dual boot. Windows has a disk management tool that allows me to shrink the partition that Windows is stored on to make room for installing other OS's. It was pretty easy. Both OS's are running together pretty well, and there has been no data loss so far. The best part is if I don't like Ubuntu, I can uninstall it, clear its partition, and add it back to my Windows partition.

So, I'll give Ubuntu a spin and see how I like it. Too tired tonight to try much with it. Any suggestions on fun/neat things I can try with it?

Turns out I didn't have to uninstall Windows 7 after all to create a dual boot. Windows has a disk management tool that allows me to shrink the partition that Windows is stored on to make room for installing other OS's. It was pretty easy. Both OS's are running together pretty well, and there has been no data loss so far. The best part is if I don't like Ubuntu, I can uninstall it, clear its partition, and add it back to my Windows partition.

So, I'll give Ubuntu a spin and see how I like it. Too tired tonight to try much with it. Any suggestions on fun/neat things I can try with it?

That's one of the two ways to do it, whichever is easier for you. ;) Dual boot is the way to go, if you have enough hard drive space until you finally decide which you prefer best ... some people just like to keep them both.

Welcome I prefer the default Ubuntu Partition Editor myself. If you like games, try the Open Civ and Transport Tycoon (you need to own the original Transport Tycoon or find the custom files all over the net for that one). Those are my favorites.

Oh, and Open Office 3 may be on the 9.04 synaptic list, not sure yet as I already had mine installed through a manual installation. If you want to play with that, let me know and I'll walk you through it. Not as hard as it seems (manual installs).

Oh, and Open Office 3 may be on the 9.04 synaptic list, not sure yet as I already had mine installed through a manual installation. If you want to play with that, let me know and I'll walk you through it. Not as hard as it seems (manual installs).

Ubuntu 9.10 comes with Open Office 3.1

Oh, and one of the IRC channels for Ubuntu: EFNet #ubuntu
If you download XChat (it's in Synaptic) it's on the server list already. ;)

Ubuntu 9.10 comes with Open Office 3.1

Cool beans. :lol: Last time I checked it was still version 2 on Synaptic. I don't upgrade unless I have to. :razz:

I run Ubuntu on my 5-year-old laptop, and use it for the usual "laptop" activities: open office, music, internet browsing, and the occasional emulator or two.

I have ZNES and DOSBox installed on it, for when I get an itch to play Doom or Chrono Trigger.

Yes, it could do more, but I really don't have the need.

Last edited:
If you like first person shooting games try Sauerbraten. If you've played Doom you'll like this one. I prefer it over Doom.

Forum List

Back