Filet Mignon

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
One of my favorite cook books is Bruce Aidells' "The Complete Meat Cookbook".

Here is the recipe for Sauteed Filet Mignon. We made it last night for a special dinner...very easy and so delish!!!!!

Filet mignon steaks are quickly sauteed and served with a balsamic vinegar pan sauce for a fast but elegant dinner for two.

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

* 2 (1-1/4 to 1-1/2-inch thick filet mignon steaks (1 to 1-1/2 pounds)
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

* Balsamic Vinegar Pan Sauce:
* 2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 1/4 cup dry vermouth
* 1/4 cup beef or chicken stock
* 2 teaspoons soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
* 1 tablespoon butter (optional)

Preparation:

Season the filet mignon steaks generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the rosemary.

In a medium, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Put in the filet mignon steaks and fry them for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare (the internal temperature should be 120 to 130 degrees F.). Remove and cover loosely to keep them warm while you prepare the sauce.

To make the Balsamic Vinegar Pan Sauce:

Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat, leaving any meat juices in the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and saute the garlic for 15 seconds, stirring. Add the vermouth and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Raise the heat to high and reduce the vermouth to a syrup. Pour in the stock, soy sauce and vinegar. Boil until the sauce just reduces to a syrup. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, if you wish. (It adds fat but gives the sauce a velvety texture.) Taste for salt and pepper. Pour over the filet mignon steaks and serve.

Sauteed Filet Mignon Recipe

Pizza with chopped dill pickles tops a filet mignon any day.

Of course, a good pizza recipe is necessary.

To each his own.

I'll stick with the filet mignon, although not Any Day, just for special occasions.

One of my favorite cook books is Bruce Aidells' "The Complete Meat Cookbook".

Here is the recipe for Sauteed Filet Mignon. We made it last night for a special dinner...very easy and so delish!!!!!

Filet mignon steaks are quickly sauteed and served with a balsamic vinegar pan sauce for a fast but elegant dinner for two.

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

* 2 (1-1/4 to 1-1/2-inch thick filet mignon steaks (1 to 1-1/2 pounds)
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

* Balsamic Vinegar Pan Sauce:
* 2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 1/4 cup dry vermouth
* 1/4 cup beef or chicken stock
* 2 teaspoons soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
* 1 tablespoon butter (optional)

Preparation:

Season the filet mignon steaks generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the rosemary.

In a medium, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Put in the filet mignon steaks and fry them for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare (the internal temperature should be 120 to 130 degrees F.). Remove and cover loosely to keep them warm while you prepare the sauce.

To make the Balsamic Vinegar Pan Sauce:

Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat, leaving any meat juices in the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and saute the garlic for 15 seconds, stirring. Add the vermouth and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Raise the heat to high and reduce the vermouth to a syrup. Pour in the stock, soy sauce and vinegar. Boil until the sauce just reduces to a syrup. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, if you wish. (It adds fat but gives the sauce a velvety texture.) Taste for salt and pepper. Pour over the filet mignon steaks and serve.

Sauteed Filet Mignon Recipe

humm sounds good, BUT I don't get the rosemary.....I use that to take the 'gameness' out of meat like Lamb.

as far as sauce goes, I am hooked on Chimichurri....;)

Trust moi. The rosemary is fantastic with the sauce.

I like chimichurri too - use it often for flank steak marinade.

well, I have a 1 lb. boneless rib-eye I was gonna make today, its not filet obviously....humm, maybe I'll try this.......I gotta get out of the box....;)

I am a HUGE fan of Filet Mignon as a replacement for Turkey, Ham, or other so-called "Traditional" meats served on special occasions (although, IMHO, there is only one acceptable meat on Valentine's, and it is for sale by the inch, rather than the ounce).

The sauce here sounds very delicate (garlic/rosemary butter), but I'm opposed to using any sauce on Fillet, choosing to enjoy the texture and very delicate flavor of the meat itself: However, I will enhance it by wrapping only the most expensive gourmet smoked bacon around the fillets. I'ne found that they must be rolled across a very hot cast iron skillet before finishing in an oven: I want RARE steaks with WELL DONE Bacon.

Finally, I buy a Whole Tender Loin and cut my own Fillets. You don't need to be Super Butcher to accomplish this, it saves a few $$'s, and you can cut them exactly as thick as you want (I will give thinner cuts to the barbarians who eat the steaks Well Done).:doubt:

Trust moi - the sauce is fabulous. This recipe results in the best filet mignon I've ever tasted.

Forum List

Back