File downloading tips

waltky

Wise ol' monkey
Feb 6, 2011
Okolona, KY
Downloading Password Protected Files

From one of my computer users group buddies...
;)
Today I had a small brainstorm, or you could call it an epiphany. I've found a way to avoid wasting a large download that turns out to be password protected. This has been happening to me a lot with Blu-ray movies. It really sucks big time to discover that after a 25 to 45 GB download, the file is password protected.

So here's a way to avoid that. Just download the first RAR file/part. Sometime it will be FileName.Part01.rar, which will be followed by FileName.Part02.rar, etc. Other times it will be FileName.rar, where the other parts will be FileName.r00, FileName.r01, etc.

Then right-click that file and select "Extract files." If the archive is password protected, it will ask for a password.

So then you just cancel the extraction and delete the file and cancel/delete the entire download file set.

But if it begins extracting files, it will get an error when it can't find the second RAR part. This means it does not have a password. Just abort the extraction, delete the files that it may have extracted, then resume the rest of the download, knowing that it won't require a password.

Forum List

Back