Fighting Terror by attacking ... South America?

nycflasher said:
Hmm, I'm not sure if you're more anti-terrorism or anti-Israel.
As Americans, I thought that both our Constitution and the character of our people oppose terrorism in all forms?

You only support using force to kill 9-11 terrorists?
So, if there was a cell in Bolivia planning to kill all Mormons(just for arguments sake) in the Western Hemisphere you wouldn't touch it?

I wouldn't invade Bolivia to kill terrorists targeting Mormons in response to 9/11 because I didn't have "good enough" targets in Afghanistan. But your example of Mormons is far from the point. Douglas Feith is a neocon with deep ties to the State of Israel. The targets he selected were enemies of Israel. You should note that.

nycflasher said:
Come on, The One.
I think we are probably on the same side of alot of issues, but if you keep "protecting" terrorists from the long arm of international law then you're not going to have any cred. around here.
Not that I have much, to speak of, but at least I try...

My main point: The biggest thing we have learned from terrorist events of the last decade is of the lasting importance of international cooperation between sovereign nations to ensure mutual security.

Terrorists are terrorists and they must die, or at least be hunted like the vile creatures they are. I have a rat trap in my basement with a statue of the fromer WTC as bait in case one of them soms a ma bitches tries to crawl through a window.

The term "terrorist" can become so broad that every rebel or freedom fighter on the planet can fit the description. If the black muslims in the Sudan took up arms and fought back against the Janjaweed, would they be considered terrorists if they exploded car bombs in the city targeting government officials yet killing innocents colaterally? If pro-democracy militant Iranians took up arms and conducted attacks which killed innocent pro-Islamic theocracy civilians, would they be terrorists?

My point is that, in the history of humankind, rebellions are what have changed governments. Rebels resort to guerilla tactics and use unconventional means to wage their battles. They have to because they have no large organized conventional forces.

If the US can paint whatever rebels they like as terrorists, it gives them latitude to prosecute whatever rebels they disagree with, regardless of the popularity in the locales the "terrorists" are operating in.

So, in order to keep our "cred" internationally, we must wage war on the terrorists that attacked us on 9/11.

Can you see my point here?

In my opinion, there is a HUGE difference between terrorism and guerilla warfare.I think guerilla warfare is based more on asynchronous/asymetrical tactics against MILITARY TARGETS. Terrorism, in my opinion, is indescriminate in it's selection of targets.

Also, just because one claims to be a rebel, does not mean that they are freedom fighters. Unfortunately, in todays world, most rebels claiming to be freedom fighters have an agenda that leads to their installation as "dictator for life". This merely subverts one form of tyranny for another.

Some rebels could actually gain my sympathy for their cause under the right circumstances and my perception of their motives. No terrorist will ever have my support, no matter how noble their cause.

So, were the people who pushed Aristide out of power terrorists or rebels? They certainly killed a ton of civilians.

guerilla warfare is a warfare waged against the military/government.....terrorism is crime used against the civilian populace to influence a government. Can you not see the difference?

While it is true that the victor gets to write the history books, that does not change the fact that I abhor terrorist tactics. No amount of substantiating, justifying, or rationalizing will convince me that intentionally blowing up civilians in a church to further ANY cause is the right thing to do.

If those same people who attack "soft" (soft has come to mean civilian)targets had the courage to attack "hard" targets (military bases, troops, etc) then I just might have a bit more admiration for them as freedom fighters. As it stands now, I see only a group of thugs trying have their way through intimidation of the masses; that group of thugs, by the way, has no interest in bettering the plight of their fellow man as evidenced by their actions.

DKSuddeth said:
guerilla warfare is a warfare waged against the military/government.....terrorism is crime used against the civilian populace to influence a government. Can you not see the difference?

So if civilians are killed in an attack on a government facility, is that a terrorist action? Was the attack on the Pentagon a terrorist action?

TheOne said:
So if civilians are killed in an attack on a government facility, is that a terrorist action? Was the attack on the Pentagon a terrorist action?

an attack on a government facility like, say the IRS or OSHA, then yes, thats a terrorist action. If its the pentagon, normally it would be a NO, however, the attack that you speak of was a terrorist attack because it USED innocent civilians in its attack.

TheOne said:
Actually, it does and you're wrong. Even the authorization of the use of force against Iraq signed by Congress required Bush to prove that Iraq was complicit in 9/11. Here's the relevant passage.

article

I don't support terrorism abroad. I also don't support US blood being spilled to support Israel, a nation which has done nothing to secure American interests and whose military we created and maintain. If Israel wants to hit Hezbollah in South America, let them do it. Are they weaklings or is it just more convenient for them to not lose any of their soldiers protecting their country and Zionistic practices? If we are going to arm Israel to the teeth, why don't they use the weapons we give them? If not, make them like Japan and neuter them and then we can protect them.

I support the use of military force to capture or kill the terrorists who were responsible for 9/11, Al Qaeda. That's it. It's my tax money and that's my voice.

based on what you state here your a jew hater. you support any organization that goes against Isreal. Anyone that uses the term zionist when talking about Isreal is a jew hater. You are also a terrorist supporter as you don't want us going after all the terrorists, just a select few. Al qaeda, hezbula, hamas, all of them are part of a larger whole that is based and run by the government of iran. Huessien was a source of weapons and money for these groups. They hate jews just like you do, they also hate christians and hindus and even muslims that don't believe the way they do. But as long as they attack Isreal you don't care.

JIHADTHIS said:
Pretty bad that we're bickering about whether the 9/11 hijackers are terrorists, rebels or guerillas :whip:

bottom line, these 19 guys were terrorists. Of the mode of Denbeste! whom I agree with in this case. They were looking for the horror to change things. It did, just not quite the way they envisioned.

Guerillas, he is dealing with more currently. Some of that may be going on too. Not to the same extent.

gaffer said:
based on what you state here your a jew hater. you support any organization that goes against Isreal. Anyone that uses the term zionist when talking about Isreal is a jew hater. You are also a terrorist supporter as you don't want us going after all the terrorists, just a select few. Al qaeda, hezbula, hamas, all of them are part of a larger whole that is based and run by the government of iran. Huessien was a source of weapons and money for these groups. They hate jews just like you do, they also hate christians and hindus and even muslims that don't believe the way they do. But as long as they attack Isreal you don't care.

Anti-Zionism is NOT anti-Semitism.

Forum List

Back