Fight between Oklahoma security guard and customer caught on camera

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I know there are going to be at least a couple of people complaining about me posting this in the Race Relations forum but there are a couple of things lingering on my mind, both of which involve recent discussions here On U.S. Message Board over the last 24 hrs or so. If you ever hear of me referencing "authority" or "no authority" to engage in certain behaviors, this is what I'm referring to.

The security guard in this video was armed (it appears) and is granted a certain amount of authority by the state agency which issued his security license. So he had the right (the authority) to approach the gentleman in the video IF said gentleman was violating some rule or policy of the venue he was tasked to protect. He had NO authority however to haul off and grab him by the throat because he didn't like what he was saying. At one point in the video I hear what sounds like him releasing a retention strap and grabbing something from a holster but he doesn't appear to have a firearm in his hand. He however put himself at great risk by getting into a scuffle with a customer, who could have relieved him of his weapon & used it aginst him being that close, if he were so inclined.

Both took unnecessary risks in my opinion but I have no further information on this incident.

the-missing-link_o_522903.jpg

I know there are going to be at least a couple of people complaining about me posting this in the Race Relations forum but there are a couple of things lingering on my mind, both of which involve recent discussions here On U.S. Message Board over the last 24 hrs or so. If you ever hear of me referencing "authority" or "no authority" to engage in certain behaviors, this is what I'm referring to.

The security guard in this video was armed (it appears) and is granted a certain amount of authority by the state agency which issued his security license. So he had the right (the authority) to approach the gentleman in the video IF said gentleman was violating some rule or policy of the venue he was tasked to protect. He had NO authority however to haul off and grab him by the throat because he didn't like what he was saying. At one point in the video I hear what sounds like him releasing a retention strap and grabbing something from a holster but he doesn't appear to have a firearm in his hand. He however put himself at great risk by getting into a scuffle with a customer, who could have relieved him of his weapon & used it aginst him being that close, if he were so inclined.

Both took unnecessary risks in my opinion but I have no further information on this incident.
Security guards – whether armed or unarmed - have no more ‘rights’ or ‘authority’ than any other private citizen.

Armed security guards are subject to the same laws as any other private citizen with regard to civil liability and the use of deadly force.

Nor does a guard license afford a private contract security guard any ‘authority’ – a license merely documents that a security guard has met his state’s requirement to work as a security guard, such as training requirements and a criminal background check; a guard license is for the benefit of the contracted client and to indemnify the security guard’s employer.

Security guards are the ‘eyes and ears’ of the property owner – their only authorized response is to contact the property owner and/or law enforcement when warranted, nothing more.

Saw the video. It isn't right.

My parents always told me, nothing warrants physical violence.

I do not know if the customer was shop lifting, it did not appear so.

If he was being disorderly, then the security guard should have called in back up. He should not have placed a hand on the guy.

It seemed to be escalating and getting violent quickly. It is really hard to tell, as the audio is unclear. We do not have the details of why the customer was angry.

Was he unsatisfied with service? High? Drunk? Belligerent?

If the authorities were called, could they not come?

The assault was the guards, not the customer. It was outrageously disrespectful.

The guard acted stupidly.

They claim the store has a high level of crime so I’m wondering if they had adequate security staff on hand?

What’s the incentive for the company to continue to want to operate there? Even if it’s profitable, is it worth the potential legal hassle/expense if a few innocent customers get killed or wounded when some mental midget starts shooting up the place some day?

Forum List

Back