Fifty years ago I went to a working-class school in Lambeth

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
Each of the 2,000 boys in that school got a job when they left that paid enough to keep a family.

I didn’t know a person who was unemployed throughout my 20s.

My generation has had the best quality of life in history: full employment, free health care, free education and, for those who couldn’t afford to buy their home, a decent council house to live in. Now that has all been wiped out.

So how do we get out of this mess?

Ken Livingstone How Ed Miliband can build us a better Britain - and we desperately need it - Ken Livingstone - Mirror Online

This graph uses US data but the principles apply just as much to the UK:

daf95aedc8f47f83d9dbff5962dbf311_zps02f5f998.jpg

Many years ago The Economist wrote a telling piece on the disparity of wealth in the West. They warned that if the rich continued to hoard all the wealth and the poor continue to grow as a massive demographic, our free market system itself would collapse, because there'd be no middle class with disposable income to support it.

Each of the 2,000 boys in that school got a job when they left that paid enough to keep a family.

I didn’t know a person who was unemployed throughout my 20s.

My generation has had the best quality of life in history: full employment, free health care, free education and, for those who couldn’t afford to buy their home, a decent council house to live in. Now that has all been wiped out.

So how do we get out of this mess?

Ken Livingstone How Ed Miliband can build us a better Britain - and we desperately need it - Ken Livingstone - Mirror Online

Emergency housing is meant to be temporary, not permanent.

New Topics

Forum List

Back