FICA; the most regressive federal tax.

Supposn

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2009
I advocate that Medicare should not be funded by FICA. I would not be opposed to it being funded by a general sales tax.

I advocated half of FICA’s contributions currently directed to funding the social security retirement system should be replaced by a federal sales tax:
Rates of portions of three specific taxes directed to fund the social security retirement system, (i.e.):
(1) FICA levied upon employees’ and based upon their employment earnings;
(2) FICA levied upon employers’ and based upon their payrolls;
(3) A proposed federal general sales tax based upon general sales transactions’ total prices.
All of these three taxes’ rates should be equal to each other.

I did not write of any changes to social security retirement benefits because any reduction of those benefits would be net detrimental to our nation’s economy and financially detrimental to retired employees and their families.

Respectfully, Supposn

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Poverty is directly detrimental to those families lacking minimal incomes but additionally it is detrimental to our federal, state and local economies. FICA is the most regressive of all federal taxes. It is proportionally greatest harm upon our working poor.
Medicare is available to all Americans reaching the age of 65. Except for work related injury) there’s no logical relationship between prior employment and medical need. I advocate that FICA's portion of revenue earmarked for Medicare be entirely shifted to a general sales tax.

Social security retirement is available to almost all of USA’s elderly (with very few exceptions), who were employed in the USA. No one can foretell their financial future condition with certainty. It’s not unusual for even wealthy persons have found themselves in need of Social Security and Medicare in their old age.

Employees generally cannot themselves entirely fund their own lifetime annuity program and employers FICA contributions based upon their payrolls are punishing employers for providing payrolls. I’m opposed to entirely disconnecting the relationship between payroll taxes and social security retirement benefits and I’m opposed to increasing the retirement age. Although people are living longer, most people’ are physically unable to sustain the production rates they achieved in their prime working years. Some compromise is called for.

I advocate that Social security retirement funding should be equally shared by FICA and a general sales tax.
These programs were, are now and should in the future be there for all of us. The elimination or reduction of these programs would be significantly detrimental to our entire economy.
Prior to what I believe will be a temporary cut of FICA taxes, FICA’s 15.3% tax of payrolls were allocated as 2.9% for Medicare and 12.4% for social security retirement. Individual employee incomes subject to social security’s 12.4% tax are capped. The taxes were equally paid by employees and their employers. This shift would reduce each employer and each of their employees FICA by 4.55% of payroll and total FICA tax revenues by 9.1% of payroll.

Employers’ FICA contributions of equal rates paid by all enterprises and are thus integral to their products prices.

If USA’s payrolls are 1/3 of total sales that would be subject to a federal sales tax, the 4.55% reduction of employer’s FICA contributions of our reduces their costs by approximately 1.5% of sales and we could revenue neutrally replace that 9.1% of reduction of FICA tax revenue with a 3.03% sales tax that actually approximate to a 1.5% increase of prices including the sales tax.

If USA’s payrolls are 1/2 of total sales that would be subject to a federal sales tax, the 4.55% reduction of employer’s FICA contributions of our reduces their costs by approximately 2.22% of sales and we could revenue neutrally replace that 9.1% of reduction of FICA tax revenue with a 4.55% sales tax that actually approximate to a 2.23% increase of prices including the sales tax.

Respectfully Supposn

The huge plurality of USA's poorest income earners are wage earners.

We all pay the taxes embedded within the prices we pay; but wage earners are the only individual persons upon which the FICA tax based upon payrolls is levied. Additionally individual's annual FICA taxes are capped; higher wage earners are taxed upon a lesser portion of their gross wages. FICA is in effect the most regressive of our federal taxes.

[FICA taxes are 15.3% of payrolls, equally paid by enterprises and their employees; 12.4% of payroll is earmarked for Social Security retirement, the remainder contributes to Medicare funding].

I'm a proponent of reducing the total FICA tax to effectively 6.2% and enacting a federal general sales tax of effectively 4.55%.

Due to sales transactions being a greater than payroll tax base, this would increase tax revenues for funding Social Security retirement and Medicare funding; it will net increase the purchasing power of wages spent by employees and their dependents; a 4.55% reduction of employers payroll taxes effectively reduce corporate taxes and would enable USA's exports to be more price competitive.

Social Security and Medicare are net reducers of poverty; they're net beneficial to our economy. All individuals rather than only employees should more fully contribute to funding those programs.

Respectfully, Supposn

Good start. I don't understand the employer sections.

1. JoMama, I also couldn't understand the last paragraph of post #1. I often have problems on the keyboard. At any moment I can be typing upper case characters without being aware of it. I cannot type without looking at the keyboard. Other things occur inadvertently and I do not always catch them before I post.

The last paragraph of post #1 should be: If USA's payrolls are 1/2 of total sales that would be subject to a federal sales tax, the 4.55% reduction of employer's FICA contributions, reduces their costs by approximately 2.22% of sales and we could revenue neutrally replace that 9.1% of reduction of FICA tax revenue with a 4.55% sales tax that actually approximate to a 2.23% increase of prices which include the sales tax.
//////////////////////
Note: If the tax base of sales is twice that of payrolls, then reducing the enterprise's FICA payroll tax by 4.55% of payroll and taxing the purchaser a 4.55% sales tax results in the same amount of federal tax revenue. But the total price increase is less than 4.55% because the 4.55% of payroll was no longer paid by the corporation and then passed on within the price to the customer.

The huge plurality of USA's poorest income earners are wage earners.

We all pay the taxes embedded within the prices we pay; but wage earners are the only individual persons upon which the FICA tax based upon payrolls is levied. Additionally individual's annual FICA taxes are capped; higher wage earners are taxed upon a lesser portion of their gross wages. FICA is in effect the most regressive of our federal taxes.

[FICA taxes are 15.3% of payrolls, equally paid by enterprises and their employees; 12.4% of payroll is earmarked for Social Security retirement, the remainder contributes to Medicare funding].

I'm a proponent of reducing the total FICA tax to effectively 6.2% and enacting a federal general sales tax of effectively 4.55%.

Due to sales transactions being a greater than payroll tax base, this would increase tax revenues for funding Social Security retirement and Medicare funding; it will net increase the purchasing power of wages spent by employees and their dependents; a 4.55% reduction of employers payroll taxes effectively reduce corporate taxes and would enable USA's exports to be more price competitive.

Social Security and Medicare are net reducers of poverty; they're net beneficial to our economy. All individuals rather than only employees should more fully contribute to funding those programs.

Respectfully, Supposn

why not cut the liberal BS and tell us who you want to tax more????

I advocate that Medicare should not be funded by FICA. I would not be opposed to it being funded by a general sales tax....

Respectfully Supposn

Why not just eliminate it all together?

Social Security retirement and Medicare systems are of net benefit to their recipients and their families, reducing instances and extents of poverty among them. They're additionally of net economic and social benefit to our nation.

Respectfully, Supposn

I advocate that Medicare should not be funded by FICA. I would not be opposed to it being funded by a general sales tax....

Respectfully Supposn

Social Security retirement and Medicare systems are of net benefit to their recipients and their families, reducing instances and extents of poverty among them. They're additionally of net economic and social benefit to our nation.

Respectfully, Supposn

No, no, I meant, why not eliminate the FICA tax altogether.

Respectfully Supposn

great, one screwy liberal who wants to end taxes and just print money, and another who wants 10001 new taxes!!! Neither one with the IQ to understand that freedom works.

Respectfully Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn

econ 4 one wants to eliminate taxes, not SS, and just print money for SS. It's such a hassle to collect taxes anyway when you can just print money! We have liberal clown tweedle dumb and liberal clown tweetle dee about to begin mud wrestling.

Respectfully Supposn
[/QUOTE]Social Security retirement and Medicare systems are of net benefit to their recipients and their families, reducing instances and extents of poverty among them. They're additionally of net economic and social benefit to our nation.
Respectfully, Supposn

[/QUOTE]No, no, I meant, why not eliminate the FICA tax altogether.
[/QUOTE]There's no particular relationship between Medicare and employees or employers.

There's certainly is a logical relationship between worker's earnings and their retirement benefits.
I believe that it's proper to retain some remainder of employee wages and employers incomes funding for unemployment insurance, workman's disability insurance, and social security retirement systems.

It just seems wrong to completely disconnect them. I don't usually justify my political opinions as “feeling right”; I suspect that others may share this opinion that I honestly cannot entirely defend as an objective and entirely logical determination.
Respectfully, Supposn

There's certainly is a logical relationship between worker's earnings and their retirement benefits.
I believe that it's proper to retain some remainder of employee wages and employers incomes funding for unemployment insurance, workman's disability insurance, and social security retirement systems.

It just seems wrong to completely disconnect them. I don't usually justify my political opinions as “feeling right”; I suspect that others may share this opinion that I honestly cannot entirely defend as an objective and entirely logical determination.
Respectfully, Supposn

Few .thoughts..

As you may know, the tax on social security wasn't created until Reagan. The justification was that in the early 2000's there would be more retirees than new workers and the government would have to save some dollars in order to pay retirees. Before that, it was a pay-as-you-go system.

I won't get into the fact that it's impossible for the government to save money, which of course makes the FICA tax an exercise in futility (unless you want to take a ride with me down that rabbit hole), But, what prevents the government from paying benefits to people based on the Federal income taxes they pay now? Why does the government have to create a new tax that, as you point out is crazy regressive?

Forum List

Back