Fewer Taxes for Real Economic Stimulus

Sounds nice and I'm sure it sells well with the "pass the buck" generation.

But the truth is, while tax cuts have inevitably lead to trillions in debt, our economy has shown no significant correlation in terms of lower taxes and better economic growth. If anything, the opposite is the case.

So, no thinks. While I can see the argument for temporary fiscal stimulus for the recession (and the stimulus bill does in fact contain hundreds of billions in tax relief) in the long term creating more debt is not better for the country.

We need to raise revenues, not cut them.

Somehow, our country managed to function just fine when the top tax rate was 91% in the 1950s and 70% in the 1960s. In fact, it was doing a lot better then than it did in the 00s with the tax cuts.
You can incorrectly call that a truth all you want to, but it doesn't make it one.
Debt is created by spending money you don't have. Key word is spending.
If I had to take a 50% cut in pay, but kept spending as if I didn't, then I would end up in debt to.

Ah, another graduate of the Limbaugh school of economics:

Limbaugh Principles of Economics 101.

(Liberals and other thinking people, please first take copious amounts of barbituates before continuing, otherwise there is no hope of any of the following making sense to you.)

1. Deficits = spending. Revenues are irrelevant. A surplus therefore cannot exist, since spending cannot be negative. That explains why there was no surplus under Clinton. See point 4.

2. Cutting taxes increases govt revenues (even though they are irrelevant see point 1). Thus, by lowering the tax rate to .0001%, the Govt will have quadrillions in tax revenues. Not that it would matter.

3. Higher tax rates do not increase revenues (which are irrelevant, see point 1) but do cause slower growth. The 1950s and 1960s and during Clinton when tax rates were higher and growth was stronger, and the 00s and during Reagan/Bush1 when taxes were lower but growth was subpar, are just anomolies to this undisputed rule.

4. Clinton never had a surplus. It's all a myth. There is no such thing. Even though all the Government records say he did. See point 1. Because if we acknolwedge that he did, it blows all our other BS out of the water.

There will be a test on this next Monday. Mountainman, you're excused as you've demonstrated superior knowledge of the principles.

I don't know who Limbaugh is, but point #1 is incorrect, it states, Deficits = spending.
Obviously a fallacy, as debt = spending more than you have. If i have a dollar, and I spend a dollar, then I'm not in debt. I don't reach debt until I spend more than the dollar I have. Your attempt at creating a strawman argument has failed you, because I said nothing even remotely similar to what you are presenting.

Last edited:
The simple and unavoidable fact is that there is infinite money chasing finite assets. If we can just print more money when we feel we need to, all we're doing is creating too much money that can never be expected to remain tied up in a particular asset that is becoming too inflated.

Money is just a means for exchange of goods services and assets. I don't recommend you use it as a means of asset storage for long term. Put your money in interest bearing accounts, or stocks or real estate or something else that gives you protection against inflation.

You are knocking investors because they get scared and pull money out of an asset that appears to be approaching unsustainability, when that very action is the smartest move one could make. Expecting an asset to rise in value infinitely is ridiculous, and therefore pulling your hard earned money out of it when the tipping point is approaching is what a smart person does.

Well sure in hindsight. But its not alwasy clear in advance. For example, I knew a guy in the 90s who was sure that the market was overpriced and pulled out of stocks. That was 1995. He lost a huge opportunity when the markets more than doubled the next 4 years.

If you have foresight to time the market, you should be a billionaire. I wish I did.

What you are referring to as a free market is nothing even CLOSE to one. When the medium of exchange is controlled by something other than merely the people who use it, there is not, nor can there ever be, a "free market".

Don't follow. No one said I couldn't buy a condo in Miami or that I had to, or at what price.

Our market is subject to the daily decisions of really only a select few people, we're jsut "lucky" enough to participate in it.

Isn't that what government is all about? I'd much rather have that decision made by a govt agency like the Fed than in the hands of private persons -- like Madoff.

You can incorrectly call that a truth all you want to, but it doesn't make it one.
If I had to take a 50% cut in pay, but kept spending as if I didn't, then I would end up in debt to.

(Liberals and other thinking people, please first take copious amounts of barbituates before continuing, otherwise there is no hope of any of the following making sense to you.)

1. Deficits = spending. Revenues are irrelevant. A surplus therefore cannot exist, since spending cannot be negative. That explains why there was no surplus under Clinton. See point 4.

2. Cutting taxes increases govt revenues (even though they are irrelevant see point 1). Thus, by lowering the tax rate to .0001%, the Govt will have quadrillions in tax revenues. Not that it would matter.

3. Higher tax rates do not increase revenues (which are irrelevant, see point 1) but do cause slower growth. The 1950s and 1960s and during Clinton when tax rates were higher and growth was stronger, and the 00s and during Reagan/Bush1 when taxes were lower but growth was subpar, are just anomolies to this undisputed rule.

4. Clinton never had a surplus. It's all a myth. There is no such thing. Even though all the Government records say he did. See point 1. Because if we acknolwedge that he did, it blows all our other BS out of the water.

There will be a test on this next Monday. Mountainman, you're excused as you've demonstrated superior knowledge of the principles.

I don't know who Limbaugh is, but point #1 is incorrect, it states, Deficits = spending.
Obviously a fallacy, as debt = spending more than you have. If i have a dollar, and I spend a dollar, then I'm not in debt. I don't reach debt until I spend more than the dollar I have. Your attempt at creating a strawman argument has failed you, because I said nothing even remotely similar to what you are presenting.

Sorry I'm being smart-assed, I can't help it some times. But I've seen these kinds of things so often and its what you hear on the Murdoch outlets.

So let's start with the basics and see if we can have a discussion.

A deficit or surplus for the Govt is a function of revenues and expenditures. If expenditures exceed revenues, the Govt has a deficit. If revenues exceed expenditures, the Govt has a surplus.

Are you with me so far?

You thought THIS bubble was bad, wait until the NEXT one happens. It's not just us who are printing money with reckless abandon. Every central bank in the world has debased its currency and printed in massive amounts, the next bubble is going to be international on a level that none of us can probably even contemplate.

We've been off the gold standard for 40 years. We've had a few boom and bust periods during that time. The fed initially focused on employment and was too loose with money, and we had inflation. Carter appointed Volcker who cracked down, caused a sharp recession in 82, but licked inflation.

In the early 80s we had the S&L thing and a bubble in the oil patch. In the 80s we had a over speculation bubble in the stock market and black Monday. In the early 90s we had a mild recession when oil spiked with the Iraq invasion of Kuwait. Late 90s another over speculation bubble in the stock market as people got greedy with tech stocks. 00s it was real estate, juiced with trillions of loans for shoddy mortgages investers thought they had diversified the risk from.

It's a cycle. Sometimes its worse sometimes its not, but there's been no pattern of worsening "bubbles."

Why would you think the next inevitable over speculation will be worse?

Look at the Fed's M2 data. Never before has the monetary base been that high. When these banks do what everyone is hoping for them to do, which is lend, what do you think is going to happen to all that new money? There's already something like 5 trillion dollars waiting on the sidelines. Do you think THIS time around it's going to be diversified responsibly? No, because like you said, people are going to get greedy with it. So the last thing you want to do is give them even MORE money to get greedy with.

When prices hit their correction point, and people decide to start spending and investing again, we'll come out of the recession. There's plenty of money in the private sector already to sustain prosperity. We don't need the central bank printing more money simply because the smarter people who realize there's no good current reason to spend or invest what they have, aren't doing so.

Those who aren't spending are the SMART ones, whether you're willing to believe it or not. It's never WRONG to get out of an asset. Those who were lucky enough to have gotten out before the correction, were probably the smarter ones. Those who stayed in hoping prices would rise to infinity, were the dumb ones. History has proven MULTIPLE times already that an asset's value can only go so high. It's psychology. When people think there's too much inflation in value, they get out.

I'm not really sure what your beef is with that.

I'd take getting out too early ANY DAY OF THE WEEK, over staying in too long.

Erring on the side of caution is what I would refer to as smart. Your friend who missed the opportunity was far better off then those who stayed in the tech bubble for too long and lost EVERYTHING. You shouldn't be investing in the stock market if you haven't done your homework on how to smell a bubble. History is always your best guide.

You thought THIS bubble was bad, wait until the NEXT one happens. It's not just us who are printing money with reckless abandon. Every central bank in the world has debased its currency and printed in massive amounts, the next bubble is going to be international on a level that none of us can probably even contemplate.

We've been off the gold standard for 40 years. We've had a few boom and bust periods during that time. The fed initially focused on employment and was too loose with money, and we had inflation. Carter appointed Volcker who cracked down, caused a sharp recession in 82, but licked inflation.

In the early 80s we had the S&L thing and a bubble in the oil patch. In the 80s we had a over speculation bubble in the stock market and black Monday. In the early 90s we had a mild recession when oil spiked with the Iraq invasion of Kuwait. Late 90s another over speculation bubble in the stock market as people got greedy with tech stocks. 00s it was real estate, juiced with trillions of loans for shoddy mortgages investers thought they had diversified the risk from.

It's a cycle. Sometimes its worse sometimes its not, but there's been no pattern of worsening "bubbles."

Why would you think the next inevitable over speculation will be worse?

Look at the Fed's M2 data. Never before has the monetary base been that high. When these banks do what everyone is hoping for them to do, which is lend, what do you think is going to happen to all that new money? There's already something like 5 trillion dollars waiting on the sidelines. Do you think THIS time around it's going to be diversified responsibly? No, because like you said, people are going to get greedy with it. So the last thing you want to do is give them even MORE money to get greedy with.

I don't expect every one to just jump into the next bubble either. The pain of the burn lasts a bit.

And I'd expect as banks start moving capital again, the Fed will raise rates and sell debt and the other things it does to contract the money supply.

But I agree there is a risk of inflation. A Govt with $11 trillion in debt doesn't help.

When prices hit their correction point, and people decide to start spending and investing again, we'll come out of the recession. There's plenty of money in the private sector already to sustain prosperity. We don't need the central bank printing more money simply because the smarter people who realize there's no good current reason to spend or invest what they have, aren't doing so.

Moving that correction point so its not so deep in the whole is the whole idea. The private banks wont or cant do that because they are full of assets no one knows the worth of.

Those who aren't spending are the SMART ones, whether you're willing to believe it or not. It's never WRONG to get out of an asset. Those who were lucky enough to have gotten out before the correction, were probably the smarter ones. Those who stayed in hoping prices would rise to infinity, were the dumb ones. History has proven MULTIPLE times already that an asset's value can only go so high. It's psychology. When people think there's too much inflation in value, they get out.

I'm not really sure what your beef is with that.

No beef at all! That's my point. It's psychology. Fed policy marginally affects it but doesn't cause people to buy homes to flip and make shoddy loans and securitize bundles and all the rest because everyone was making money and greedy.

I'd take getting out too early ANY DAY OF THE WEEK, over staying in too long.

Erring on the side of caution is what I would refer to as smart. Your friend who missed the opportunity was far better off then those who stayed in the tech bubble for too long and lost EVERYTHING. You shouldn't be investing in the stock market if you haven't done your homework on how to smell a bubble. History is always your best guide.

But not as smart and the one who stayed in and was well diversified.

Everyone should be diversified.

If history is a guide, now is probably a good time to get into the market.

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well."
Tax cuts spur economic growth

The Idolatry of Ideology-Why Tax Cuts Hurt the Economy by Russ Beaton

Spending Cuts Vs. Tax Increases at the State Level, 10/30/01

Myth.
The rich get rich because of their merit.

Reagan raised taxes.
Firedoglake » Newsflash: Ronald Reagan Raised Taxes (You Idiots)

We are taking our medicine now!

And that's why the Govt is $11 trillion in debt. The right won't compromise on taxes and the left won't compromise on spending. So the govt panders and does both. And the right is fine because they'd rather run up debt than pay more taxes. And the left is fine because they get their programs.

And our children and grandchildren get fucked, as those at the tea parties were lamanted while at the same time screeching "don't raise my taxes"!

We have no one to blame but ourselves the pass the buck generation. But the future will not judge us kindly I don't think.

No, we're not taking our medicine now because the government is trying to reflate the bubble and set us up for a bigger bust down the road.

That's why I voted for Ron Paul, the one who came out and had concrete ideas as to cutting spending.

That's why I voted for Clinton, the only one who had a concrete ideas to balance the budget.

That's hilarious. If you think for one second Clinton wouldn't be doing the same things Obama is doing you're delusional.

For a balanced budget you need to have looked no further than Ron Paul.

But the truth is, while tax cuts have inevitably lead to trillions in debt, our economy has shown no significant correlation in terms of lower taxes and better economic growth. If anything, the opposite is the case.

So, no thinks. While I can see the argument for temporary fiscal stimulus for the recession (and the stimulus bill does in fact contain hundreds of billions in tax relief) in the long term creating more debt is not better for the country.

Somehow, our country managed to function just fine when the top tax rate was 91% in the 1950s and 70% in the 1960s. In fact, it was doing a lot better then than it did in the 00s with the tax cuts.

There was no surplus under Clinton because he stole money out of the Social Security fund to create the "surplus." That's not a surplus, that's theft. Could I go rob some guy on the street for his wallet and tell the judge I was trying to create a surplus?

No, we're not taking our medicine now because the government is trying to reflate the bubble and set us up for a bigger bust down the road.

That's why I voted for Ron Paul, the one who came out and had concrete ideas as to cutting spending.

That's why I voted for Clinton, the only one who had a concrete ideas to balance the budget.

That's hilarious. If you think for one second Clinton wouldn't be doing the same things Obama is doing you're delusional.

We have enough whackos in the country without one running it.

There was no surplus under Clinton because he stole money out of the Social Security fund to create the "surplus." That's not a surplus, that's theft. Could I go rob some guy on the street for his wallet and tell the judge I was trying to create a surplus?

Yes there was a surplus. Revenues exceeded expenditures, total debt decreased. It lasted just long enough for Bush to get elected and slash revenues.

Last edited:

So the person who would have actually balanced the budgets is a "whacko?"

Fewer taxes for the rich would stimulate the affluents' economy.

We've been witnessing THAT for the last thirty years.

Meanwhile Americans and America have basically been slowly going broke.

Ron Paul has PART of the solution, but sadly its the same damned part which caused the problem to begin with.

Trickly down economics does NOT work.

So the person who would have actually balanced the budgets is a "whacko?"

No, the person who would put us on a gold standard, and eliminate taxes with apparently no plan for generating revenues while dismantling our social structure is a whacko.

Sorry I'm being smart-assed, I can't help it some times. But I've seen these kinds of things so often and its what you hear on the Murdoch outlets.

A deficit or surplus for the Govt is a function of revenues and expenditures. If expenditures exceed revenues, the Govt has a deficit. If revenues exceed expenditures, the Govt has a surplus.

Are you with me so far?
I'll take it one step further, if the government has a surplus, then that means they've taxed people too much, if the government has debt, then that means they've spent too much.

Occasional minor government deficit spending is not necessarily a bad thing, provided that the government can eliminate that debt in a short period of time. I believe we've crossed the threshold that is the point of no return. We can't spend our way out of debt, and the government seems to be the only entity that thinks it can.

Are you with me so far?
I'll take it one step further, if the government has a surplus, then that means they've taxed people too much, if the government has debt, then that means they've spent too much.

No, now you are going into areas of value judgements and opinion. Not fact.

In fact, a surplus only means the Govt is taking in more revenue than it expends.

Whether that is good or bad is a value judgement. I might say it is good because it reduces too much debt.

On board?

A "debt" is the cumulative result of running deficits. If the Govt starts with no debt and runs deficits of $100 billion for three years, it will have a debt of $300 billion.

Let me know if you disagree with any of this, we need an understanding of basic concepts to have a discussion.

Occasional minor government deficit spending is not necessarily a bad thing, provided that the government can eliminate that debt in a short period of time. I believe we've crossed the threshold that is the point of no return. We can't spend our way out of debt, and the government seems to be the only entity that thinks it can.

Slow down! No one is talking about spending our way out of debt.

Back to basics.

You agree that:

Deficit = revenues - expenditures, where expenditures > revenues.

Now, with that understanding, do you see that if expenditures don't change, but you increae revenues, you decrease deficit?

Let me know if you agree with that concept and we can go on.

Last edited:

Yes, we need to raise revenues, but spending billions in stimulus bills will not do that. The Stimulus bill provided temporary relief in the form of Green and Infrastuructural jobs. Now uou have Obama saying he'll slash the deficit in half by the end of his first term, yet what does go and do next? He proposes a $3 TRILLION budget, which would kick us to a budget deficit of $1 TRILLION. WTF??

Tax cuts are the only solution. It raises revenue by putting money into people's pockets, including that of businesses. Before Bush had to start saving the damn banks, the budget deficit situation was improving.

Yes, we need to raise revenues, but spending billions in stimulus bills will not do that. The Stimulus bill provided temporary relief in the form of Green and Infrastuructural jobs. Now uou have Obama saying he'll slash the deficit in half by the end of his first term, yet what does go and do next? He proposes a $3 TRILLION budget, which would kick us to a budget deficit of $1 TRILLION. WTF??

Tax cuts are the only solution. It raises revenue by putting money into people's pockets, including that of businesses. Before Bush had to start saving the damn banks, the budget deficit situation was improving.

Another graduate from the Limbaugh school of economics. Folks write about the sorry state of education in America, and when I read these "Limbaugh economics" posts over and over, I begin to believe they are correct.

"Tax cuts are the only solution. It raises revenue" -- so if we cust the tax rate to .001% the government should have quadrillions in revenues, right?

The budget situation under Bush was improving? Improving from what? The disasterous deficits his tax cuts gave the country? Bush's "improved" budget was about $400 billion worse than the surplus he inheretred from Clinton, and that's not counting the cost of the wars.

How can you say "creating more debt is not better for the country" right after espousing the so-called "tax cuts" in the stimulus? There may be some sort of tax cuts in the stimulus, but I have to ask how the stimulus itself is going to be paid for? Taxation. The government doesn't just have hundreds of billions of dollars sitting around waiting to be used on something.

What we need are tax cuts and significant spending cuts.

"right after espousing the so-called "tax cuts" in the stimulus? There may be some sort of tax cuts in the stimulus, but I have to ask how the stimulus itself is going to be paid for? Taxation. The government doesn't just have hundreds of billions of dollars sitting around waiting to be used on something."

There are tax cuts in the stimulus---I just received the check in the mail with an extra $400 added to it, and chances are unless you make 250K, you'll be receiving one yourself!! Your second statement is exactly right.... The stimulus will in part be paid for by taxation of the wealthiest 5%.

In agree with you that we need spending cuts, but that is not going to happen considering two wars are still being conducted overseas!!! In my opinion, cutting taxes may provide some temporary relief but will only push us farther into debt!!! So, we simply cannot cut taxes without cutting spending!! You cannot have one without the other, therefore, I think Obama's tax plan is not that bad, it has its flaws but overall it's not that bad!!

Forum List

Back