Fewer blacks, more Hispanics enlist in Corps

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
University of Texas sociology professor John Butler, who earned a Bronze Star for Valor during the Vietnam War and left the Army as a sergeant, said the drop in black Marines and service members in general is due to the increasing opportunity for blacks to attend college

Fewer blacks, more Hispanics enlist in Corps - Marine Corps News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Marine Corps Times

If there is increaseing opportunity for blacks to attend college, then why are so many unemployed?

Black Unemployment Spikes to 16%

University of Texas sociology professor John Butler, who earned a Bronze Star for Valor during the Vietnam War and left the Army as a sergeant, said the drop in black Marines and service members in general is due to the increasing opportunity for blacks to attend college

Fewer blacks, more Hispanics enlist in Corps - Marine Corps News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Marine Corps Times

If there is increaseing opportunity for blacks to attend college, then why are so many unemployed?

Going to college does not guarantee a job.

But how does going to college prevent you from joining the Marines, or any other military service?

From the article:
“I don’t think it’s that serious of a trend,” Kent said in a recent interview. “I haven’t seen the study, so I can’t quote it, but I would tell you that we have had an increase of young blacks enlisting in the Marine Corps as compared to last year.

Hispanic population has surpassed that of blacks in America so it would stand to reason more are joining the service or doing anything if we aren't talking per capita.

But how does going to college prevent you from joining the Marines, or any other military service?

It doesn't, if you get a degree you can join as an officer.If anything its just a convenient excuse.

From the article:
“I don’t think it’s that serious of a trend,” Kent said in a recent interview. “I haven’t seen the study, so I can’t quote it, but I would tell you that we have had an increase of young blacks enlisting in the Marine Corps as compared to last year.

Hispanic population has surpassed that of blacks in America so it would stand to reason more are joining the service or doing anything if we aren't talking per capita.

Miss the point.

The point is that as an underemployed minority, why aren't there MANY blacks in the military?

Whether there's been a ONE year increase over the last, both of which are lower than you'd expect based on aggregate populations, is immaterial.

I didn't know that enlisting in the military was a good thing.

For young men facing this job market, the military looks like a fairly good career move.

Hell the starting salary and bennies for enlisted men is far better than most starting salaries for equivalent jobs in the civilian world.

I didn't know that enlisting in the military was a good thing.

I guess you're either not poor, or like being penniliess.

Enlisting in the military is a traditional route out of poverty.

Technically true, it is "a" route. It is not the only route and it not the route used by most. Also, most enlistees are not from poor families.

You'd have a point if fewer blacks were enlisting AND there were fewer blacks who were unemployed

But the facts are quite clear: Fewer blacks are enlisting and there are MORE blacks who are unemployed.

The question is, what are they doing?

Yeah, ok if the military is only one route away from poverty, then what OTHER route are blacks on? And why aren't Hispanics on this other route?

For young men facing this job market, the military looks like a fairly good career move.

Hell the starting salary and bennies for enlisted men is far better than most starting salaries for equivalent jobs in the civilian world.

Indeed: It is pretty obvious.

However, the military does have standards: Could it be that blacks are being disqualified by higher standards? If so, then why are Hispanics able to overcome these obsticles?

Which "Hispanics" ?
Basically the ones joining are using it as "college" to learn how to kick some ass.
YOUR ass. The military now accepts anyone with a heartbeat, it seems.

Which "Hispanics" ?
Basically the ones joining are using it as "college" to learn how to kick some ass.
YOUR ass. The military now accepts anyone with a heartbeat, it seems.

You mean there are no Hispanic Mechanics?

BTW: I like saying "Hispanic Mechanic.":eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back