Few (2) Show Up for Protest at Detroit Auto Show

Zona

A guy in ariZONA
Aug 15, 2009
Phoenix, AZ.
DETROIT (AP) - Charlie Gennara thought there would be a sizable showing for a planned "tea party" protest outside the annual international auto show in Detroit on Monday.

For the first 45 minutes, though, it was just him and one other person voicing their displeasure with the billions in aid spent by the government on General Motors, Chrysler and auto lender GMAC Financial Services.

"I didn't expect this," said Gennara, a 58-year-old retired carpenter from Northville, Mich. "Most of the tea parties I've been to I've seen 300 or a couple hundred at least."

Few Show Up for Protest at Detroit Auto Show

Tea Baggers rule! :lol:

From the article:

stimulus packages, bank bailouts and the health care overhaul. But a call to protest the auto show by a Virginia-based group, the National Taxpayers Union, was opposed by some Michigan conservatives, who said their economically battered state needs the jobs.

Joan Fabiano, who organizes tea parties as part of a group called Grassroots in Michigan, e-mailed supporters asking them not to show up Monday, saying such action could hurt business in the state.

"I'd like to think I had something to do with that," Fabiano said of the low turnout Monday.

Fabiano, of Holt, Mich., worked at GM for 30 years and believes protesting at the auto show sends the wrong message.

"I think it was ill-conceived," she said. "It only hurts fellow Michiganders and Michigan commerce. Businesses are already hurting."

Andrew Moylan, director of government affairs for the National Taxpayers Union and an organizer of Monday's demonstration, said a few dozen people came out at the height of the protest.

He said Fabiano's efforts coupled with inclement weather in Detroit probably kept some people away.

"This is a sensitive issue," Moylan said. "This is a sore spot for a lot of people. This is really close to home for a lot of folks.

"The way I look at it, we were out there protesting for General Motors and Detroit" not against it," he said.

So, let me get this straight....the "Tea Partiers" are against Government intervention and spending UNLESS it beneifts their home town????

Anyone is surprised by this? 1 of every 2 people in Detroit is unemployed. 90% of them are believers in the liberal process even though it was the liberal process for the past 60 years that has held them in poverty.

They were either to stupid to attend a tea party or someone forgot the offer to pass out free money.

Wait! They found out that Obama is not going to dip into his stash of money at this event!

New Topics

Forum List

Back