Fetal Origins

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Childhood diabetes, teenage obesity, chronic depression and heart disease: What do these ailments have in common? According to Annie Murphy Paul's explosive new book, "Origins: How the Nine Months Before Birth Shape the Rest of Our Lives," these conditions all originate, at least partially, in the womb.
We've all heard about thalidomide exposure and fetal alcohol syndrome, but in recent years, the burgeoning science of "fetal origins" has made some surprising discoveries about how conditions in the uterus can affect a grown person's health.
Veteran science writer Murphy Paul offers compelling examples. Pregnant women who were close to the Twin Towers on 9/11 and developed post traumatic stress disorder, for example, gave birth to babies with low levels of cortisol, a hormone that regulates stress. Women who are depressed while pregnant are likelier to deliver premature babies with low birth weights. These scientific discoveries reinforce the notion that, while a person’s genetic code offers a template for development, the conditions in the womb fine-tune the expression of those genes. It is the perfect welding of nature and nurture.
Salon spoke to Murphy Paul from her home in New Haven, Conn., about the science of the womb -- and the risk factors you probably didn't know about.
"Origins": The explosive new science of pregnancy - Nonfiction - Salon.com

Childhood diabetes, teenage obesity, chronic depression and heart disease: What do these ailments have in common? According to Annie Murphy Paul's explosive new book, "Origins: How the Nine Months Before Birth Shape the Rest of Our Lives," these conditions all originate, at least partially, in the womb.
We've all heard about thalidomide exposure and fetal alcohol syndrome, but in recent years, the burgeoning science of "fetal origins" has made some surprising discoveries about how conditions in the uterus can affect a grown person's health.
Veteran science writer Murphy Paul offers compelling examples. Pregnant women who were close to the Twin Towers on 9/11 and developed post traumatic stress disorder, for example, gave birth to babies with low levels of cortisol, a hormone that regulates stress. Women who are depressed while pregnant are likelier to deliver premature babies with low birth weights. These scientific discoveries reinforce the notion that, while a person’s genetic code offers a template for development, the conditions in the womb fine-tune the expression of those genes. It is the perfect welding of nature and nurture.
Salon spoke to Murphy Paul from her home in New Haven, Conn., about the science of the womb -- and the risk factors you probably didn't know about.

Perhaps, but let’s not turn that into an excuse for the obesity epidemic. It does not explain why the percentage of people who are obese is so high this decade compared to percentages decades ago. As my father told me when I had trouble controlling my weight, “I’ve never seen a fat person living in a concentration camp.”

All disease is caused by teratogenic factors?

You ever stop to wonder why none of this shit you find is found in peer reviewed journals?

Still wondering about the point.

It's not exactly news that the mother's health and well-being during pregnancy affects the unborn child profoundly. People have known that for a long time, and didn't need Salon to tell them.

And while it's interesting that scientists have found more corroborating evidence, I'm still confused as to what the purpose of this thread is.

All disease is caused by teratogenic factors
Interesting hypothesis you've there.

Once again, your inability to comprehend written words comes into play and makes you look like the idiot you are.

Why did you change the meaning of my quote? I thought board rules prohibited editing that substantially changed the meaning of other peoples words.

You are an idiot, otherwise you would know that I scoff at the whole hypothesis.

Childhood diabetes, teenage obesity, chronic depression and heart disease: What do these ailments have in common? According to Annie Murphy Paul's explosive new book

Perhaps, but let’s not turn that into an excuse for the obesity epidemic. It does not explain why the percentage of people who are obese is so high this decade compared to percentages decades ago. As my father told me when I had trouble controlling my weight, “I’ve never seen a fat person living in a concentration camp.”

hmm, interesting

Forum List

Back