Ferguson (MO) special election results

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
I am somewhat in a hurry, so here are some links to the preliminary results.

As always, it's a good policy to wait until the final canvasses are signed, sealed and delivered by the SOS of that state, or in the case of local elections, by the officials designated to validate the election results.

Ferguson election triples number of blacks on City Council - Yahoo News

Ferguson Election Result Changes The Face Of City Council

When the results came in, they showed that Ella Jones, who is black, received nearly half of the vote in a four-way race for a seat representing Ward 1, while Wesley Bell, who also is black, received 66 percent of the vote in Ward 3. Ward 2 was a different story, with former Ferguson Mayor Brian Fletcher, who is white, beating another white candidate, Bob Hudgins, who had aligned himself with the protest movement.

"I just want to get to my other opponents and help them understand that we have to work together," Jones said in an interview after her victory. "So, whatever thing they had, lay it aside, because it's about Ferguson. It's not about me." She said she was determined to work with the U.S. Justice Department to reform the city police department and municipal court.

Municipal elections like Ferguson's are normally sleepy affairs, but this year's race received national media coverage in the wake of outrage over the August police shooting of unarmed teen Michael Brown. While rainy weather caused some campaigners to fret about turnout, a top elections official said he expected many more would vote than in prior council elections.

"I think Ferguson is going to be higher than the rest of the county, and it would not surprise me if they ended up with something to the order of 30 percent turnout," Eric Fey, director of elections for St. Louis County, said in an interview with The Huffington Post before the numbers came in. Based on reports from his staff, Fey said that he expected that turnout in Ferguson would be significantly higher than nearby Normandy, which he predicted would have a "paltry" turnout of 10 percent to 12 percent of registered voters.

Ferguson makes history with city council vote - CNN.com

Change has come to Ferguson.

The racial makeup of Ferguson's city council changed drastically Tuesday night with big victories for candidates Wesley Bell and Ella Jones.

Ferguson is 70% black, but was governed by a board on which five of six members and the mayor were white. Now the council will be 50% black.

Jones screamed when her victory became official late Tuesday night. She won 49.63% of the vote.

Again, exact vote counts as soon as the canvasses are out.

I want to point out that local elections are hard to gauge and that they often have no bearing on state or national politics. Remember: all politics is local.

And the rest of us is suppose to care about this why?

it's a damn state matter. None of anyone else's business

As always, it's a good policy to wait until the final canvasses are signed, sealed and delivered by the SOS of that state, or in the case of local elections, by the officials designated to validate the election results.

When the results came in, they showed that Ella Jones, who is black, received nearly half of the vote in a four-way race for a seat representing Ward 1, while Wesley Bell, who also is black, received 66 percent of the vote in Ward 3. Ward 2 was a different story, with former Ferguson Mayor Brian Fletcher, who is white, beating another white candidate, Bob Hudgins, who had aligned himself with the protest movement.

"I just want to get to my other opponents and help them understand that we have to work together," Jones said in an interview after her victory. "So, whatever thing they had, lay it aside, because it's about Ferguson. It's not about me." She said she was determined to work with the U.S. Justice Department to reform the city police department and municipal court.

Municipal elections like Ferguson's are normally sleepy affairs, but this year's race received national media coverage in the wake of outrage over the August police shooting of unarmed teen Michael Brown. While rainy weather caused some campaigners to fret about turnout, a top elections official said he expected many more would vote than in prior council elections.

"I think Ferguson is going to be higher than the rest of the county, and it would not surprise me if they ended up with something to the order of 30 percent turnout," Eric Fey, director of elections for St. Louis County, said in an interview with The Huffington Post before the numbers came in. Based on reports from his staff, Fey said that he expected that turnout in Ferguson would be significantly higher than nearby Normandy, which he predicted would have a "paltry" turnout of 10 percent to 12 percent of registered voters.

The racial makeup of Ferguson's city council changed drastically Tuesday night with big victories for candidates Wesley Bell and Ella Jones.

Ferguson is 70% black, but was governed by a board on which five of six members and the mayor were white. Now the council will be 50% black.

Jones screamed when her victory became official late Tuesday night. She won 49.63% of the vote.

I want to point out that local elections are hard to gauge and that they often have no bearing on state or national politics. Remember: all politics is local.
It's nice that at least some good came out of the Ferguson mess last year. The electorate is now a lot more motivated to vote. :thup:

• Banned

Stephanie: just for your information, a CONSERVATIVE pm'd me and ASKED me to open a thread on this.

Can you once, just once, actually focus on the content of an OP, like an adult? Just once?

Pay attention. Learn to debate like a real adult.

I requested the information.

I was curious if the people of Ferguson were going to let 11% of the people elect their local government.

Why did you click on the link if it doesn't matter to you?

Stephanie: just for your information, a CONSERVATIVE pm'd me and ASKED me to open a thread on this.

Can you once, just once, actually focus on the content of an OP, like an adult? Just once?

You assume I am a conservative.

I am a radical.

Never been a conservative, I like changing and shaking up things.

• Banned

You assume I am a conservative.

I am a radical.

Never been a conservative, I like changing and shaking up things.

LOL!!!

OK, revised: Stephanie: just for your information, a RADICAL pm'd me and ASKED me to open a thread on this.

Better???

:lol:

It's nice that at least some good came out of the Ferguson mess last year. The electorate is now a lot more motivated to vote. :thup:

That is why I requested the information from the man I knew could find it fastest.

Let's hope more vote next time, and more the time after that.

Voting is good, no matter what anybody says about it being futile.

Only a fool forfeits his right to his say in things.

I requested the information.

I was curious if the people of Ferguson were going to let 11% of the people elect their local government.

Why did you click on the link if it doesn't matter to you?

Extremely low voter turnout in off-year elections is sadly par for the course in the USA.

In the 2014, only 36% of all RV actually turned out to vote. It's sad. But elections are based on the principle of plurality in most cases in our great Union, so VT is just a side-issue...

That is why I requested the information from the man I knew could find it fastest.

Let's hope more vote next time, and more the time after that.

Voting is good, no matter what anybody says about it being futile.

Only a fool forfeits his right to his say in things

Last two sentences:

:thup:

I will wait about one week for the final canvasses and then post all the goodies at once.

Change is always good. Happy to see my people get out, vote, and make a difference in charting their own course.

Mark my words, Ferguson economically goes downhill from here. Look beneath the skin color and find what they have really elected.

Forum List

Back