Female Rape Victim Gets 200 Lashes

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
A COURT in the ultra-conservative Islamic kingdom of Saudi Arabia is punishing a female victim of gang rape with 200 lashes and six months in jail.

The 19-year-old woman - whose six armed attackers have been sentenced to jail terms - was initially ordered to undergo 90 lashes for "being in the car of an unrelated male at the time of the rape,'' the Arab News reported.

But in a new verdict issued after Saudi Arabia's Higher Judicial Council ordered a retrial, the court in the eastern town of Al-Qatif more than doubled the number of lashes to 200.

A court source told the English-language Arab News that the judges had decided to punish the woman further for "her attempt to aggravate and influence the judiciary through the media.''

Saudi Arabia enforces a strict Islamic doctrine known as Wahhabism and forbids unrelated men and women from associating with each other, bans women from driving and forces them to cover head-to-toe in public.

Last year, the court sentenced six Saudi men to between one and five years in jail for the rape as well as ordering lashes for the victim, a member of the minority Shi'ite community.

But the woman's lawyer Abdul Rahman al-Lahem appealed, arguing that the punishments were too lenient in a country where the offence can carry the death penalty.

In the new verdict issued on Wednesday, the Al-Qatif court also toughened the sentences against the six men to between two and nine years in prison.

The case has angered members of Saudi Arabia's Shi'ite community. The convicted men are Sunni Muslims, the dominant community in the oil-rich Gulf state.

Mr Lahem, also a human rights activist, said yesterday the court had banned him from handling the rape case and withdrew his licence to practise law because he challenged the verdict.

He said he has also been summoned by the ministry of justice to appear before a disciplinary committee in December.

Mr Lahem said the move might be due to his criticism of some judicial institutions, and "contradicts King Abdullah's quest to introduce reform, especially in the justice system.''

King Abdullah last month approved a new body of laws regulating the judicial system in Saudi Arabia, which rules on the basis of sharia, or Islamic law.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22768376-5006003,00.html

And not a peep from our liberal friends on how benign the Muslim religion really is, I see.

Well it certainly sounds like a ruling the US courts should consider in making decisions!

An obtuse, indirect and sarcastic reference to the thread on considering foreign law in US judiciary matters.....for those who don't get it.

And not a peep from our liberal friends on how benign the Muslim religion really is, I see.

and how long ago was it that we western christian nations were practicing the same thing?

oh.. sorry.. didn't mean to remind you of the gender roles assigned by christianity.

Over 500 years ago at least, if even that close. But do pretend other wise.

1507?

are you a fucking crack smoker or do you just play one on internet messageboards?

Do you really want to claim that it's been 500 years even in your own sect of christianity?

indeed, do pretend otherwise.

1507?

are you a fucking crack smoker or do you just play one on internet messageboards?

Do you really want to claim that it's been 500 years even in your own sect of christianity?

indeed, do pretend otherwise.

So provide us an example of rape victims being lashed for the affront of allowing someone to rape them. Go ahead prove your point.

The book that initiated scholarly interest in this subject is Edmund S. Morgan, The Puritan Family (1944, rev. ed., 1966). In his view, early New England families embodied the broader Puritan emphasis on hierarchy and order, but they also reflected the values that the Puritans placed on consent and reciprocity. What leavened the great authority over dependents vested in husbands, fathers, and masters was the understanding that each member of the household had certain rights as well as duties. Morgan argues, too, that the premium placed on families influenced New England's subsequent religious development. The Puritans, he contends, believed that sanctity ran in families—that godly parents were more likely than ungodly parents to produce godly children. That conviction, which Morgan calls "spiritual tribalism," led ministers to focus their pastoral efforts on culling new church members from families headed by older church members—and to neglect the unchurched.
http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/tserve/eighteen/ekeyinfo/erelwom.htm

Abstract: It is well known that the age of enlightenment and the flowering of republican ideology in early America offered little for enslaved African and African-American women. However, as the ‘age of enlightenment’ ultimately bled into ‘an age of slave emancipation’ in the Americas, black women saw some of the first serious discussion by people in power of African and African diaspora womanhood and how it would be defined beyond the institution of enslavement. While few whites envisioned free black women as being destined principally for roles as wives and mothers, many abolitionists especially showed great interest in how newly freed black women should be allowed or encouraged to perform those gendered roles, even as such women also continued to function as laborers in the wider economy. In particular, abolitionists in the United States and Great Britain had begun to engage these questions at the dawn of the nineteenth century around the era of slave trade abolition. British abolitionists especially faced these questions as Great Britain took a leading role in the campaign to suppress the Atlantic slave trade–a campaign which liberated over 100,000 Africans from illegally operating slave ships.
http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p114382_index.html

The crime of battering came to my attention nearly twenty years ago. I was confronted with the problem when Cathy, a ‘good Christian woman’, knocked on my door and asked me to help her. Thinking that her husband was drinking too much she went to a tavern to ask him to come home; his response wás to beat her in the parking lot so severely that she was taken to the emergency ward, where the doctor, whom she had never met, asked ‘What did you do to provoke him this time?’. This case and many similar episodes led to my legislative work in Wisconsin as a member of the Battered Woman Task Force. It was in this capacity that I began to suspect a strong connection between Christian upbringing and the acceptance of battering by women and men. In particular, a strongly worded letter from a rural Wisconsin woman accused me of sinful ways in trying to urge women to leave a battering situation; as she put it, it was woman’s God-given duty to submit to her husband and to suffer in silence as a good Christian woman. I was motivated to discover how this woman had received such a message from her Christian education: that is, that for the sake of keeping the family together, a woman had to sacrifice her own safety and that of her children. Furthermore, the wife who is battered is made to feel the cause of this abuse, and—like the guilty Eve—shares the guilt that accrues to all women from the verses of Genesis.
http://www.womenpriests.org/theology/rossi1.asp

...remember the ladies, and be more generous and favorable to them than your ancestors. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the Husbands. Remember all Men would be tyrants if they could. If particular care and attention is not paid to the Ladies we are determined to foment a Rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any Laws in which we have no voice, or Representation.
Abigail Smith Adams

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail_Adams

"I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you." (Genesis 3:16)

"If, however, the charge is not true and no proof of the girls virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her fathers house and there the men of the town shall stone her to death." (Deut. 22:20-21)

"Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man." (Num. 31:17)

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your husbands, as unto the Lord...Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." (Eph. 5:22-24)

"Women should remain silent in churches. They are not allowed to speak; but must be in submission as the Law says." (I Cor. 14:34-35)

"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner." (I Tim. 2:11-14)

"The head of every man is Christ, and the head of every woman is man." (I Cor. 11:3)

"For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man." (I Cor. 11:8-9)

Take your pick. Pretending that women have not been abused in the name of christianity for 500 years is hilarious.

The book that initiated scholarly interest in this subject is Edmund S. Morgan, The Puritan Family (1944, rev. ed., 1966). In his view, early New England families embodied the broader Puritan emphasis on hierarchy and order, but they also reflected the values that the Puritans placed on consent and reciprocity. What leavened the great authority over dependents vested in husbands, fathers, and masters was the understanding that each member of the household had certain rights as well as duties. Morgan argues, too, that the premium placed on families influenced New England's subsequent religious development. The Puritans, he contends, believed that sanctity ran in families—that godly parents were more likely than ungodly parents to produce godly children. That conviction, which Morgan calls "spiritual tribalism," led ministers to focus their pastoral efforts on culling new church members from families headed by older church members—and to neglect the unchurched.
http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/tserve/eighteen/ekeyinfo/erelwom.htm

Abstract: It is well known that the age of enlightenment and the flowering of republican ideology in early America offered little for enslaved African and African-American women. However, as the ‘age of enlightenment’ ultimately bled into ‘an age of slave emancipation’ in the Americas, black women saw some of the first serious discussion by people in power of African and African diaspora womanhood and how it would be defined beyond the institution of enslavement. While few whites envisioned free black women as being destined principally for roles as wives and mothers, many abolitionists especially showed great interest in how newly freed black women should be allowed or encouraged to perform those gendered roles, even as such women also continued to function as laborers in the wider economy. In particular, abolitionists in the United States and Great Britain had begun to engage these questions at the dawn of the nineteenth century around the era of slave trade abolition. British abolitionists especially faced these questions as Great Britain took a leading role in the campaign to suppress the Atlantic slave trade–a campaign which liberated over 100,000 Africans from illegally operating slave ships.
http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p114382_index.html

The crime of battering came to my attention nearly twenty years ago. I was confronted with the problem when Cathy, a ‘good Christian woman’, knocked on my door and asked me to help her. Thinking that her husband was drinking too much she went to a tavern to ask him to come home; his response wás to beat her in the parking lot so severely that she was taken to the emergency ward, where the doctor, whom she had never met, asked ‘What did you do to provoke him this time?’. This case and many similar episodes led to my legislative work in Wisconsin as a member of the Battered Woman Task Force. It was in this capacity that I began to suspect a strong connection between Christian upbringing and the acceptance of battering by women and men. In particular, a strongly worded letter from a rural Wisconsin woman accused me of sinful ways in trying to urge women to leave a battering situation; as she put it, it was woman’s God-given duty to submit to her husband and to suffer in silence as a good Christian woman. I was motivated to discover how this woman had received such a message from her Christian education: that is, that for the sake of keeping the family together, a woman had to sacrifice her own safety and that of her children. Furthermore, the wife who is battered is made to feel the cause of this abuse, and—like the guilty Eve—shares the guilt that accrues to all women from the verses of Genesis.
http://www.womenpriests.org/theology/rossi1.asp

...remember the ladies, and be more generous and favorable to them than your ancestors. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the Husbands. Remember all Men would be tyrants if they could. If particular care and attention is not paid to the Ladies we are determined to foment a Rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any Laws in which we have no voice, or Representation.
Abigail Smith Adams

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail_Adams

"I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you." (Genesis 3:16)

"If, however, the charge is not true and no proof of the girls virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her fathers house and there the men of the town shall stone her to death." (Deut. 22:20-21)

"Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man." (Num. 31:17)

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your husbands, as unto the Lord...Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." (Eph. 5:22-24)

"Women should remain silent in churches. They are not allowed to speak; but must be in submission as the Law says." (I Cor. 14:34-35)

"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner." (I Tim. 2:11-14)

"The head of every man is Christ, and the head of every woman is man." (I Cor. 11:3)

"For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man." (I Cor. 11:8-9)

Take your pick. Pretending that women have not been abused in the name of christianity for 500 years is hilarious.

In other words you have no link to where women have been lashed for being raped in the west, thanks for playing.

what.. do you want a picture? Indeed, go ahead and pretend that womens suffrage happened 500 years ago, dude! If that's what it takes to polish the turd of your dogma then so be it.

thank YOU for playing.

:thup:

what.. do you want a picture? Indeed, go ahead and pretend that womens suffrage happened 500 years ago, dude! If that's what it takes to polish the turd of your dogma then so be it.

thank YOU for playing.

:thup:

It is simple enough, you claimed we sentenced women to lashings for being raped, prove the point. You can not because it is not true.

riiiight...

and because I don't have a color glossy photo of a which being burnt at the stake that MUST mean that it never happened! Culture means NOTHING without at least a 10 second video!

but hey, at least gals can readjust their history 500 years, right dude?

:rofl:

I know you don't mean to but you crack me up.

riiiight...

and because I don't have a color glossy photo of a which being burnt at the stake that MUST mean that it never happened! Culture means NOTHING without at least a 10 second video!

but hey, at least gals can readjust their history 500 years, right dude?

:rofl:

I know you don't mean to but you crack me up.

Not the same and you full well know it. You made a claim patently untrue and now want to tap dance away from it. Par for the course from you. As for womens rights, I will gladly stack our record against ANY Muslim countries, any day of the week, to include 300 years ago.

Indeed, let's compare how muslim nations have treated their women and how christian nations do the same. I've already dropped my evidence on your foot. If you think that christianity hasn't condoned a husband beating his wife in the last 50 years then so be it.

after all, there are no glossy pics so it must have never happened.

have a great thankgiving, RGS.

Forum List

Back