Female Circumcision Case

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 1549, Oct 27, 2006.

1. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/10/27/female.circumcision.ap/index.html

An ethiopian immigrant is on trial for cutting off his daughter's clitoris. The pracitce is known as female genital mutilation to the rest of the world, but it is common in rural parts of Africa--including Ethiopia.

Three details of the case:
    1) The man contests this practice does not take place in the Ethiopian city he originates from, only from rural parts of the country.
    2) The daughter testified against the father, but the daughter lives with her mother. The man on trial is divorced from his wife and believes the wife's family is responsible for both the mutilation and forcing the daughter to testify against him.
    3) The man faces up to 40 years in prison if convicted.

The girl was 2 at the time, and is seven now. I do not trust a persons memory from when they are two. This girl was probably under a lot of pressure to "remember" a certain way from both the father and the mother...if I was a jurror I would not give the daughter's testimony much weight.

This is a very interesting case. No matter who is responsible, this is a nasty tradition, that should not be accepted in the United States. It can have a severe emotional impact on the female victims and of course physical problems can come up as well (after all, the procedure is done with razors, scissors, knives, etc.).

My questions:
    1) Is the punishment too harsh?
    2) What stance should the U.S. take on foreign customs of this nature?
    3) Would the custom be acceptable if performed in a more professional manner?

My answers: Yes, don't allow it, no.
    -This should be treated differently than male circumcision because the victims are usually not babies, I think traditionally the procedure is performed as they reach the age before marriage...or in this girl's case, the age of 2.

What do you think?

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

First off - this isn't circumcision at all...unless that word now means cutting off the tip of a man's penis.

:eek:

It's HORRIBLE...it's child abuse...those doing this should be placed in jail for decades.

It's not the US's responsibility to change the laws of other countries. If a country has no laws against the practice, all we can do is pressure them thru economic means.

There's NO acceptable method of the procedure. It's barbaric; worse than RAPE IMO.

Oh - and the girl's testimony is worthless.

3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I think that is a lie. Makes me suspect of who dunnit.

4. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    When I first heard of this practice, I literally almost vomited. The mental images haunted me for DAYS! What POSSIBLE good could this serve, even for men? Disgusting, evil, ignorant practice!

1)If guilty, 40 years doesn't seem too harsh a punishment for the man.
    2)I don't see how the US could force the customs to stop, since, I believe it generally takes place in rural areas. But perhaps we could send people out on education missions as we do for other health concerns.
    3)Professional and painless or not, the end result has NO acceptable value.

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    You must feel the same about male circumcision then too?

*For the record I think female circumcision is a disgusting practice.*

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Nope. Male circumcision does not inhibit sexual pleasure (it may actually enhance it), and has been shown to have some health benefits (ie, it is easier to keep that area clean).

7. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Good point. A mother should still have intimate knowledge of a child's "areas" when the child is that young. They require assistance in cleaning. No way she couldn't have noticed for a YEAR.

8. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    True but it’s still a mutilation of the natural body for what, a covenant, right? A belief, not for pleasure or cleanliness. I may be wrong.

9. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Many people besides Jews circumcise their boys. It's not just a religious belief.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I know, but it all started that way. Which is what I'm getting at. It started with a belief and for whatever reason so did female circumcision. Wouldn't you agree?