Fema Head Brown Removed From Relief Efforts

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being removed from his role managing Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, The Associated Press has learned.

Brown is being sent back to Washington from Baton Rouge, where he was the primary official overseeing the federal government's response to the disaster, according to two federal officials who declined to be identified before the announcement.

Brown will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad w. Allen, who was overseeing New Orleans relief and rescue efforts.

Brown has been under fire because of the administration's slow response to the magnitude of the hurricane. On Thursday, questions were raised about whether he padded his resume to highlight his previous emergency management background.

Less than an hour before Brown's removal came to light, White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Brown had not resigned and the president had not asked for his resignation.

McClellan did not directly answer a question about whether the president had full confidence in Brown.

"We appreciate all those who are working round the clock, and that's the way I would answer it," he said.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/09/D8CGSA5G0.html

GotZoom said:
I think that is a no brainer. "For the good of the government, etc...."

He's done.
As well he should be..But, despite what I've read to date about this guy, I have to say that when I saw him interviewed he looked like a fish outta water, there was just something very wrong, a gut feeling if you will.

I posted in another thread that I don't think anyone could have been completely prepared for the devastation.

But still...he is the HMFIC.

It falls on him.

If it had been anyone of us in charge, and we were in way over our heads, we all would had the knowledge to at least bring in some help, ask for advice, get in the public eye and make sure things were moving in a forward direction, etc.

GotZoom said:
I posted in another thread that I don't think anyone could have been completely prepared for the devastation.

It falls on him.

If it had been anyone of us in charge, and we were in way over our heads, we all would had the knowledge to at least bring in some help, ask for advice, get in the public eye and make sure things were moving in a forward direction, etc.
I think so...If it were me...I'd have been calling W...W, look, I need the guard or Feds. and I need them NOW! These folks are idiots!

But that's just me.

Time for the, "I want to spend more time with my family..." resignation lie. Walk away while you still can Brown.

I would have been screaming BEFORE the hurricane for 100,000 troops with food and water to get there NOW.

Then..if we didn't need them, so be it...they can leave.

I would rather err on the side of caution. At least this way, no one can accuse me of not acting.

GotZoom said:
I would have been screaming BEFORE the hurricane for 100,000 troops with food and water to get there NOW.

Then..if we didn't need them, so be it...they can leave.

I would rather err on the side of caution. At least this way, no one can accuse me of not acting.

That's called preparedness, we can't expect that from anybody but Boyscouts nowadays.

GotZoom said:

It falls on him.

OKay, I just hope that Brown is found truly to have been at fault and this isn't just more ass kssing towards that useless bag of shit Pelosi. Further how about the Mayor, Senator Landreau, and Governor Blanco step down as well?????

The latest:

---
A beleaguered Mike Brown said Friday he doesn't know why he was removed from his onsite command of Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, but he does know the first thing he'll do when he returns to Washington.

"I'm going to go home and walk my dog and hug my wife, and maybe get a good Mexican meal and a stiff margarita and a full night's sleep," Brown told The Associated Press. "And then I'm going to go right back to FEMA and continue to do all I can to help these victims."

The Federal Emergency Management Agency director spoke from Louisiana shortly after the move was announced by his boss, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. Critics called for Brown's resignation after government agencies seemed sluggish in their response to Katrina.

On Friday, allegations surfaced that Brown had padded his resume. He angrily denied those charges and contended that the White House and FEMA had erred in their descriptions of two of his past jobs.

"This story's not about me. This story's about the worst disaster of the history of our country that stretched every government to its limit and now we have to help these victims," Brown said. "That's all I've wanted to do."

Brown said he will still oversee FEMA, including housing, victims' assistance and other aspects of Katrina recovery efforts. But he may not be there for long, according to two officials close to Brown who asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to discuss his plans.

They said the FEMA chief had been planning to retire after the hurricane season, and Friday's action virtually assures his departure.

In the interview, Brown praised his onsite replacement, Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad W. Allen, but said the switch was Chertoff's idea.

"You'd have to ask Secretary Chertoff why he made that decision," Brown said.

At a news conference later, Chertoff suggested the change came as the Gulf Coast efforts entered a new phase, and that Brown might be needed to manage other potential disasters.

Asked if he was being made a scapegoat, Brown said, "By the press, yes. By the president, No."

He heatedly denied suggestions by some news organizations that he had padded his resume, answering some charges point by point:

_He was assistant to the city manager in Edmond, Okla. "I have no clue" why the FEMA Web site says he was assistant city manager, an important distinction. Either way, Brown noted that the city's former mayor, Carl Reherman, has vouched for his involvement in emergency planning. Indeed, Reherman told the AP that Brown "worked hard at everything he did," including planning for natural and manmade disasters.

_A 2003 White House press release incorrectly says Brown was executive director of the Independent Electrical Contractors, which is headquartered in Virginia. Brown said he worked for the group's Denver chapter, and he didn't know why the White House suggested otherwise. Terry Moreland, the group's Rocky Mountain chapter chief, said Brown was in the post for about six months in 2001, just before he went to FEMA. "People hardly got to know him."

_Denying allegations to the contrary, Brown said he regularly attended meetings of an Oklahoma retirement home's development committee.

While waiting for his military flight back to Washington, the FEMA chief accused journalists of rushing to judgment and passing rumors off as fact.

"I'm anxious to get back to D.C. to correct all the inaccuracies and lies," he said.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/na/D8CGUQN88.html
--

Bonnie said:
OKay, I just hope that Brown is found truly to have been at fault and this isn't just more ass kssing towards that useless bag of shit Pelosi. Further how about the Mayor, Senator Landreau, and Governor Blanco step down as well?????

I'm with you - but it will never happen.

GotZoom said:
I'm with you - but it will never happen.

Blanco needs to be publicly spanked, literally and figuratively. Then she needs to be booted out of office. In fact, it would be nice if we brought back stocks, and locked her in them for public display in the middle of the French Quarter. I am embarassed that she is a female public official, and she's the one who should be embarassed.

GotZoom said:
Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being removed from his role managing Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, The Associated Press has learned.

Brown is being sent back to Washington from Baton Rouge, where he was the primary official overseeing the federal government's response to the disaster, according to two federal officials who declined to be identified before the announcement.

Brown will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad w. Allen, who was overseeing New Orleans relief and rescue efforts.

Brown has been under fire because of the administration's slow response to the magnitude of the hurricane. On Thursday, questions were raised about whether he padded his resume to highlight his previous emergency management background.

Less than an hour before Brown's removal came to light, White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Brown had not resigned and the president had not asked for his resignation.

McClellan did not directly answer a question about whether the president had full confidence in Brown.

"We appreciate all those who are working round the clock, and that's the way I would answer it," he said.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/09/D8CGSA5G0.html

I would like to hear his side of the story some day. Other than hearing that he was too slow I haven't heard the specifics. If the GOP thinks that this is going to spare them ANY sort attack or embarassment, they are more stupid than I thought.

Forum List

Back