FEMA Double Standard: Joplin vs New Orleans

and yours is either liberal, or racist Sam....

He has a very valid point. That does not make him racist.

Wow.....FEMA treats the white residents of Joplin differently than the Black residents of New Orleans and....

***drumroll please***

I'm the racist.:eusa_eh:

I think the point poor pointless sparky is trying to make is that:

If you don't have a point, post like you do.

Of course the FACT that the residents who took the biggest brunt of Katrina just happened to be black never enters that thing of yours you like to call your brain.

Do 'A' ' 'A' is wrong for some they prefer 'B,' do 'B' 'B' is wrong for some, do 'A and B' and you should be doing 'C.' The internet is a wonderful place to whine isn't it?

"FEMA’s first option for housing the thousands of displaced is to find them existing rental housing within a 55-mile radius of Joplin, because there isn’t much housing left in the city of nearly 50,000 residents that was left badly damaged by the May 22 tornado, spokeswoman Susie Stonner told The Associated Press. Nearly a third of the city was damaged by the violent storm that left killed more than 130 people. Twenty-nine people remained unaccounted for Monday." from OP link

From the piece they are doing [?], select the option you'd like to whine about and raise it to the level of partisanship or racism or just plain conspiratorial nonsense. 'Mommy, Joanie isn't sharing.' Childish prattle.

You didn't mind doing JUST that after Katrina. Ohh wait that was a Republican so it is ok to lie, whine and mislead then, right?

Indeed, its not "Childish Prattle" unless a republican is president.

Then it's "Justifiable Outrage."

(please note: Not one lib has shown up to wonder why, 6 fucking years after Katrina, FEMA is still housing anyone from New Orleans)

At what point should it have been a STATE issue to deal with, hmmm??? So why hasn't Jindal stepped up? Or perhaps if you published your address for free money in the Times Picayune, they could ask for a loan from you to start over again.

Perhaps the reason FEMA continues to foot the bill is because homeless people aren't just routinely shot by the federal government after they've exhausted all other alternatives.

Old news.
There is a thread that already went through all this.
There has been a ban on trailer homes in this city for years.

There should be a ban on FEMA trailers everywhere. They are incredibly unsafe, they do not pass the governments own safety codes...and the government has abandoned 100,000's of them in fields scattered across the south because they cannot sell them since they violate the most basic safety and structural soundness codes.

Meh. A mere technicality. Samson doesn't consider such things.

APNewsBreak: FEMA favors existing housing for Joplin victims, but some up to 55 miles away - The Washington Post

Temporary housing will be made available for up to 18 months. Some people along the Gulf Coast still live in FEMA trailers nearly six years after Hurricane Katrina.

WTF is wrong with the Obama Administration?

Why aren't temp houses available for NEARLY SIX YEARS for Joplin Tornado Victims???

Is it BECAUSE THEY ARE WHITE!!:eek:

Maybe there should be fewer $$$ spent dropping bombs on Lybia, and more on temporary housing for victims of Natural Disasters that live OUTSIDE New Orleans?

Obama refused to give them carcinogenic trailers like Bush did to the victims of Katrina.

Old news.

There should be a ban on FEMA trailers everywhere. They are incredibly unsafe, they do not pass the governments own safety codes...and the government has abandoned 100,000's of them in fields scattered across the south because they cannot sell them since they violate the most basic safety and structural soundness codes.

"Old news,"...yet you continue to miss the fucking point:

Joplin "refugees" are only being given 18 months of temporary housing while Katrina Refugees are still be housed 6 years later.

Nobody promised Katrina refugees years of housing either, stupid. It's just turned out that way, and the same might happen to Joplin residents.

No.
A bad idea is a bad idea. If they want to spend taxpayer dollars to build portable temporary housing then build them safe. And build them so they last longer than a few weeks.
I invite you to google around, FEMA trailers are a disaster of their own.
Floors fell through, 1,000's of them leaked from day 1, plumbing leaks, electrical problems...it goes on and on.

I agree...bad idea. Tax payer dollars should NOT be spent on temporary housing.

Our military sleep in tents. Works for me as temporary housing in a disaster. If the people dont like it they would be free to find what ever temporary housing they wish.

Again....no matter what they are...it is BETTER then sleeping in the streets.

I could live in a tent for 6 years, eating gubment cheese, and watching Jerry Springer.

With your attitude, you wouldn't last 24 hours in a refugee community anyway, since it usually involves a lot of sharing.

Old news.

"Old news,"...yet you continue to miss the fucking point:

Joplin "refugees" are only being given 18 months of temporary housing while Katrina Refugees are still be housed 6 years later.

It's called blind eye.
The gumnent is literally shaking in their boots at the mere impression that they are not providing for a minority group.
Do you have kids that are college age?
Have you ever spent time looking for scholarships in the last 10-15 years?
Scholarships for minorities outnumber "scholarships for merit" at least 100 to 1...at least.

It is the same thing here, of course there are people still living in FEMA trailers in LA, hell they were living in government housing BEFORE Katrina - why would anyone be surprised they do AFTER Katrina.
Nagen's platform was simple "I'll help you get yours" and that platform was extremely popular in his "chocolate city". I don't give a damn what color people are - all people can easily be conditioned to be lazy and get free stuff. The difference between Joplin and Katrina is simple. In Joplin they are white, imagine if 18 months after Katrina black people were put out on the street?? Shit...imagine the media maelstrom. In Joplin - pheh...not sensational enough.

Link?

I agree...bad idea. Tax payer dollars should NOT be spent on temporary housing.

Our military sleep in tents. Works for me as temporary housing in a disaster. If the people dont like it they would be free to find what ever temporary housing they wish.

Again....no matter what they are...it is BETTER then sleeping in the streets.

I could live in a tent for 6 years, eating gubment cheese, and watching Jerry Springer.

With your attitude, you wouldn't last 24 hours in a refugee community anyway, since it usually involves a lot of sharing.

With your intelligence, you wouldn't last 24 minutes trying to find the round peg to place in the round hole.

With your intelligence, you wouldn't last 24 minutes trying to find the round peg to place in the round hole.

The current Republican Party isn't known for helping people who need help.

Cantor says no Joplin aid unless budget cuts agreed to by Obama and Democrats

But I'm not saying they won't help anyone. They will help needy millionaires and billionaires, oil companies and gigantic corporations. See, they're not totally heartless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan to be Righteously Indignant, regardless of the color or flavor of refugees: Chocolate or Vanilla, Strawberry or Tutti-Fruti, FEMA should be held to the same standard of response.

I agree...which is about nothing.

What you mean is that the Katrina "victims" need to be held to the same standards as the rest of the country in disaster response. Which means their free loading asses need to get the boot.

:eek::eek::eek:

After ONLY SIX YEARS!!!!

:tongue:

YA THINK!!???

:lol:

If Section 8 housing was available (which it is not in many parts of the country, with long waiting lists), then they would not still be living in the trailers. But the subsidies would STILL be government-sponsored, just not by FEMA. Duh...

APNewsBreak: FEMA favors existing housing for Joplin victims, but some up to 55 miles away - The Washington Post

WTF is wrong with the Obama Administration?

Why aren't temp houses available for NEARLY SIX YEARS for Joplin Tornado Victims???

Is it BECAUSE THEY ARE WHITE!!:eek:

Maybe there should be fewer $$$ spent dropping bombs on Lybia, and more on temporary housing for victims of Natural Disasters that live OUTSIDE New Orleans?

Yeah, that's it. :cuckoo:

It's simple common sense. The odds of another tornado hitting that area are high. Bye bye flimsy trailers. Plus there WERE no other housing options available in NO after Katrina unless you expected the people residing in the Garden District to allow people from the 9th Ward to use their carriage houses.

“Wouldn’t you prefer to be in a stable building over a mobile home?” she asked. Stonner also noted that getting things like water, sewer lines and developing pads for trailers would take substantial time.

Takes you a little while to catch on, so I'm not surprised your still catching up with the thread.

My point isn't that temporary housing should exist.

My point is that it should be available for as long as it has been for Katrina refugees.

Try reading the thread before posting.

I know it will be difficult, but at least you will have made the attempt not to appear moronic.

I responded more than adequately to your ignorant OP.

I agree...which is about nothing.

What you mean is that the Katrina "victims" need to be held to the same standards as the rest of the country in disaster response. Which means their free loading asses need to get the boot.

After ONLY SIX YEARS!!!!

YA THINK!!???

If Section 8 housing was available (which it is not in many parts of the country, with long waiting lists), then they would not still be living in the trailers. But the subsidies would STILL be government-sponsored, just not by FEMA. Duh...

Ok, maggie, I'll

try
to
slow
down
a
little
for
you:

We are not talking about trailers, m'k?

After ONLY SIX YEARS!!!!

YA THINK!!???

Ok, maggie, I'll

try
to
slow
down
a
little
for
you:

Oh really?
Temporary housing will be made available for up to 18 months. Some people along the Gulf Coast still live in FEMA trailers nearly six years after Hurricane Katrina.
rolleyes.gif

Ok, maggie, I'll

try
to
slow
down
a
little
for
you:

Oh really?
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, Really, idiot.

"Temporary Housing" doesn't mean "trailer."

It could mean a govenment subsidized residence of any type.

Ok, maggie, I'll

try
to
slow
down
a
little
for
you:

Oh really?

rolleyes.gif

Yeah, Really, idiot.

"Temporary Housing" doesn't mean "trailer."

It could mean a govenment subsidized residence of any type.

Forum List

Back