Feeling old?

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Just in case you weren't feeling too old today...

The people who are starting college this fall were born in 1992.

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Their lifetime has always included AIDS.

The CD was introduced two years before they were born.

They have always had an answering machine.

They have always had cable.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

Popcorn has always been microwaved.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

They never heard: 'Where's the Beef?', 'I'd walk a mile for a Camel ' or 'de plane Boss, de plane'.

McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Pass this on to the other old fogies on your list.

Notice the larger type? That's for those of us who have trouble reading.

P.S. Save the earth... It's the only planet with chocolate.

I always feel a little old of late, but thank you for changing that to OLD.

That is bold, hilighted in red and outsized for lineless bifocal convenience.

The young of today don't remember the grainy, black and white immediacy of the moon landing and the hold-your-breath, here it comes, nationally unified consciousness and wonder that it reflected. That may have been the last gasp of the Kapra USA of the Jimmy Stewart movies.

We became a more cynical and suspiscious country following that moment. Westmorland, Woodstock and Watergate combined to end what was and begin what is.

"Of all sad words of tongue and pen,
The saddest are these: It might have been."

Last edited:
I remember when a remote was called a clicker. It had two metal bars in it that clicked together and it changed the channel one station at a time. The TV was black and white, of course. That was before UHF and there were only 7 channels in Southern California where I grew up.

Just in case you weren't feeling too old today...

The people who are starting college this fall were born in 1992.

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Their lifetime has always included AIDS.

The CD was introduced two years before they were born.

They have always had an answering machine.

They have always had cable.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

Popcorn has always been microwaved.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

They never heard: 'Where's the Beef?', 'I'd walk a mile for a Camel ' or 'de plane Boss, de plane'.

McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Pass this on to the other old fogies on your list.

Notice the larger type? That's for those of us who have trouble reading.

P.S. Save the earth... It's the only planet with chocolate.

Asshole

YOU KIDS GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN! GO PLAY IN THE FREEWAY!

:cool:

I used to watch Soupy Sales live on one of the three channels available in my area. It was out of Bakersfield. Reagan wasn't even Governor yet. My kids get barely a mention of his presidency in history classes.
Where are my glasses?

Asshole

I used to watch Soupy Sales live on one of the three channels available in my area. It was out of Bakersfield. Reagan wasn't even Governor yet. My kids get barely a mention of his presidency in history classes.
Where are my glasses?

Do you still have that pet T-Rex?

Asshole

Where are my glasses?
Do you still have that pet T-Rex?

Sumbitch took off to Virginny to ride with Bobby Lee.

The young of today don't remember the grainy, black and white immediacy of the moon landing and the hold-your-breath, here it comes, nationally unified consciousness and wonder that it reflected.

No, they cannot.

Most people who were children during the Reagan administration (and after) have no idea what it was like to think of yourself as an American -- part of something greater than yourself.

They have been raised in the zietgiest of a time where GREED IS GOOD was though the height of sophisticated thinking.

It's not really their fault.

We (the 60s generation) had WWII parents who believed in the power of government to make their lives better. (and for their time they were right)

The younger generations had Viet Nam era parents who believed that the power of government was mostly to make their lives worse. (and for their time, they were right)

Small wonder there's such a generational divide in POVs.

BOTH generations are responding to very different (and very real) realities.

well, my generation did not have sex without BC pills, but my mom's generation went without it.

Did you know that I read that before BC pills, 70% of all married couples that had children within the first year they were married had them 6-7 months in to the marriage....in other words, women were having sex before marriage in the 50's, but for the most part....when they got pregnant, the man, manned up, and they got married.

well, my generation did not have sex without BC pills, but my mom's generation went without it.

Did you know that I read that before BC pills, 70% of all married couples that had children within the first year they were married had them 6-7 months in to the marriage....in other words, women were having sex before marriage in the 50's, but for the most part....when they got pregnant, the man, manned up, and they got married.

No point in "manning" up after abortion was legalized.

why? 46% of all babies in the USA are now born to single moms....where are the men in these cases?

why? 46% of all babies in the USA are now born to single moms....where are the men in these cases?

What difference does it make? The women chose not to abort.

I remember when a remote was called a clicker. It had two metal bars in it that clicked together and it changed the channel one station at a time. The TV was black and white, of course. That was before UHF and there were only 7 channels in Southern California where I grew up.

I remember when I was the clicker.

I remember when I was the clicker.

I remember was there was no point having a clicker because there was only one station.

Forum List

Back