Feel free to critique

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Diuretic, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    About Medicare - Medicare Australia

The Medicare levy is currently 1.5% of taxable income.

What is the Medicare levy?

It's not perfect but I reckon it's pretty good. I'd be interested to read critiques.

2. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,294
    Interesting, especially the reciprocal arrangements with other politically advanced nations. 1.5% is pretty small, considering that my employer pays over 10% of my straight time pay for the medical insurance for my wife and I.

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    At the moment the federal government is looking at some plans to make the system more effective. Unfortunately the funding of hospitals (under our system the federal government gives funds to the states and territories to run public hospitals) was reduced under the previous conservative government. As I wrote, our system isn't perfect and I wouldn't want anyone to think it was. However its aims and coverage are worthy and no government of any political persuasion would dare dismantle it.

4. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,294
    Well, I just hope we can get the start of a real sytem here in the states this year. I see too many children here now, in this economic downturn, that should be seeing a doctor for preventive care, but cannot because of the lack of money.