Feds Raid Stores for Illegal Chocolate Eggs???????

teapartysamurai

Gold Member
Mar 27, 2010
UPPER EAST SIDE — Manhattan candy sellers had their Kinder eggs confiscated in raids by Consumer Product Safety Commission last week, DNAinfo has learned.

The businesses, which sold the hollow milk chocolate eggs that contain a toy in a plastic capsule, were profiled by DNAinfo last week. The CPSC has banned the eggs, which are popular abroad and made by Italian manufacturer, Ferraro, because they are viewed as a choking hazard.

At TriBeCa's gourmet Jin Market, the CPSC seized a box of Kinder eggs, which have labels saying for children three and up.

"They said it's illegal," said Joseph Ramirez, who works at Jin Market. "They took it out of the store."

Jigs Patel, who recently opened the London Candy Co. on the Upper East Side, where he is importing candy from the U.K., had already run out of his Kinder eggs by the time he got his visit from a CPSC official just before Easter.

"They obviously took this very seriously," Patel said. "I actually found it very amusing. It's a bloody chocolate with a toy inside. It's not smuggling crack cocaine."

He said that customers in the store that day found it funny, too.
"They were like, 'Don't they have better things to do than hunt down Kinder eggs?'"

The phone at London Candy Co. rang off the hook after DNAinfo's article ran with people seeking the hard-to-find chocolates.

"The phone went nuts," Patel said. "The people still want it."

One reader posted a comment on DNAinfo saying he was going to start a campaign to petition the government to "stop this nonsense."

Read more: Federal Officials Raid Manhattan Stores Selling Kinder Eggs - DNAinfo.com

As IF everyone in NY is under THREE YEARS OLD! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wasn't this, once upon a time, left up to the PARENTS?????????

You just put a warning up that there could be a choking hazard for those under 3 and left it at that?

Now, the Feds come in like it's a drug raid FOR CHOCOLATE EGGS??? :cuckoo:

This is what you have, with the Nanny State. You can't decide for yourself if you can have a freaking chocolate egg. The government is going to decide for you!

3 years ago I'd be shocked by this. Not anymore. How long until the NYC government starts to issue search warrants on restaurants looking for salt or trans fat, both of which have been banned there?

"SIR DROP THE SALT SHAKER AND PUT YOUR HANDS UP!!! NOW!!!!!"

3 years ago I'd be shocked by this. Not anymore. How long until the NYC government starts to issue search warrants on restaurants looking for salt or trans fat, both of which have been banned there?

It's just ridiculous! I used to give eggs like that to my kids (when they were Easter Basket age) They would have candy or toys inside.

Kids are just fine.

Salt has not been banned in NY. Seriously, don't believe everything you hear.

I say let the kids choke. Food safety regulations are for the birds.

I wonder if there are any figures on how many children have died from choking on the toys? A rational person would withhold judgment until looking for that information.

Oops. I stand corrected. NYC hasn't banned salt. They're simply TRYING to: New York City aims to cut salt intake - Health - CBC News

Yay freedom!!!

Oops. I stand corrected. NYC hasn't banned salt. They're simply TRYING to: New York City aims to cut salt intake - Health - CBC News

Yay freedom!!!

Didn't read the article, did you?

Yay freedom!!!

Which one? That one? Or this one: Brooklyn Dem Felix Ortiz wants to ban use of salt in New York restaurants - New York Daily News

Quote: "The Brooklyn Democrat has introduced a bill that would ban the use of salt in New York restaurants - and violators would be smacked with a $1,000 fine for every salty dish.

"No owner or operator of a restaurant in this state shall use salt in any form in the preparation of any food," the bill reads.
Some of Manhattan's top cooks blasted the idea, saying the legislation lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.
"New York City is considered the restaurant capital of the world. If they banned salt, nobody would come here anymore," said Tom Colicchio, star of "Top Chef" and owner of Craft."

Like I said....Trying to ban salt.

Haven't seen these chocolate eggs but I can definitely imagine how if they're designed wrong they could be a hazard to very small kids.

I wonder if there are any figures on how many children have died from choking on the toys? A rational person would withhold judgment until looking for that information.

I'm far from being a rational person, but...

Choking and Suffocation
Deaths from choking and suffocation ranked fourth among unintentional home injury fatalities. One-third of the home fatalities due to choking or suffocation were associated with food, while 16 percent were the result of suffocations in beds or bedding. The highest death rates due to choking and suffocation were among children less than five years of age and adults 70 and older.

This is the kind of crap you get with a Democratic State like N.Y. These people want the government to do for them instead of them doing for themselves so I say live with it.

Yay freedom!!!

Which one? That one? Or this one: Brooklyn Dem Felix Ortiz wants to ban use of salt in New York restaurants - New York Daily News

Quote: "The Brooklyn Democrat has introduced a bill that would ban the use of salt in New York restaurants - and violators would be smacked with a $1,000 fine for every salty dish.

"No owner or operator of a restaurant in this state shall use salt in any form in the preparation of any food," the bill reads.
Some of Manhattan's top cooks blasted the idea, saying the legislation lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.
"New York City is considered the restaurant capital of the world. If they banned salt, nobody would come here anymore," said Tom Colicchio, star of "Top Chef" and owner of Craft."

Like I said....Trying to ban salt.

I know what you're referring to.

And no, no one is "trying to ban salt" now. That was a year ago, Felix Ortiz is a retard, and no one else ever came close to supporting it.

Saying New York is "trying" to ban salt is like saying the Republican party is "trying" to end the Federal Reserve, because Ron Paul wants to.

So, you are for the Federal Government taking the place of parents. Figures. :cuckoo:

Haven't seen these chocolate eggs but I can definitely imagine how if they're designed wrong they could be a hazard to very small kids.

Which means you put a WARNING on them, they are not for those under 3 and let it go at that!

But CONFISCATING THEM? As IF we are all under three years old to the government and can't be trusted to use good judgment?

So, you are for the Federal Government taking the place of parents. Figures. :cuckoo:

How did you come to that conclusion from his post?

I'm far from being a rational person, but...

Choking and Suffocation
Deaths from choking and suffocation ranked fourth among unintentional home injury fatalities. One-third of the home fatalities due to choking or suffocation were associated with food, while 16 percent were the result of suffocations in beds or bedding. The highest death rates due to choking and suffocation were among children less than five years of age and adults 70 and older.

The actual risk of choking/suffocation death is less than 1 in 1000. Since most choking deaths come from food, then suffocation in bedclothes, my guess is that kids choking on small toys inside Kinder eggs comes in somewhere around 0.

1. NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – After targeting distracted drivers, some New York lawmakers want to go after distracted walkers. They are looking to ban them from using iPods, music players and cell phones while walking and crossing the street.
Sen. Kruger Wants To Ban Chatting On Cell Phones While Crossing Street « CBS New York

2.candy cigarettes Candy Cigarettes Banned By FDA Candy Cigarettes Banned By FDA

3. Whistles, catcalls and lewd come-ons from strangers are all too familiar to New York City women, who say they are harassed multiple times a day as they walk down the street. Now lawmakers are examining whether to do something to discourage it.
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NYC-Considers-a-Not-Catcall-Zone-106135039.html

4. More importantly, the supes [supervisors] passed the so-called "Happy Meal Ban" by an 8-3 vote ― meaning it can survive a promised veto from Mayor Gavin Newsom. That's right: San Francisco done banned the Happy Meal. Robble robble.
S.F. Supes Pass Happy Meal Ban with Veto-Proof Majority - San Francisco Restaurants and Dining - SFoodie

5. As many as 14 armed Orange County deputies, including narcotics agents, stormed Strictly Skillz barbershop during business hours on a Saturday in August, handcuffing barbers in front of customers during a busy back-to-school weekend.

It was just one of a series of unprecedented raid-style inspections the Orange County Sheriff's Office recently conducted with a state regulating agency, targeting several predominantly black- and Hispanic-owned barbershops in the Pine Hills area.

In "sweeps" on Aug. 21 and Sept. 17 targeting at least nine shops, deputies arrested 37 people — the majority charged with "barbering without a license," a misdemeanor that state records show only three other people have been jailed in Florida in the past 10 years.
Unlicensed barbering arrests: Did Florida deputies use licensing inspectors to raid barbershops for drugs? - OrlandoSentinel.com

Last edited:
Kinder Eggs have never been legal in the US.

This isn't something new. They've been illegal in the US since 1976.

For what reason???????? Just because they have a toy in the middle like Cracker Jack has in the box????????????

Stupid!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Forum List

Back