Feds move to seize 4 mosques

Do you support the seizures of Iranian assets?

• Yes

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its a non-event, it will drag on for years in the courts

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
NEW YORK — Federal prosecutors are taking steps to seize four U.S. mosques and a New York City skyscraper owned by a nonprofit Muslim organization. The organization — called the Alavi Foundation — has long been suspected of being under Iranian government control. Prosecutors say the foundation has been helping to illegally funnel money back to the Iranian government.

The government filed a forfeiture action in federal court in New York to seize four mosques in the city and in Maryland, California and Houston. The government also wants to take control of a 36-story office tower on New York's Fifth Avenue.

The filing starts what could be a drawn-out legal process.

The Associated Press: Feds move to seizes 4 mosques, skyscraper

Hmmm.... these people are terrorists by government definition, but someone that kills 13 people while yelling, "Allah Akbar", might not be. Got to be a legal definition problem here. More farmers, less lawyers please.

NEW YORK — Federal prosecutors are taking steps to seize four U.S. mosques and a New York City skyscraper owned by a nonprofit Muslim organization. The organization — called the Alavi Foundation — has long been suspected of being under Iranian government control. Prosecutors say the foundation has been helping to illegally funnel money back to the Iranian government.

The government filed a forfeiture action in federal court in New York to seize four mosques in the city and in Maryland, California and Houston. The government also wants to take control of a 36-story office tower on New York's Fifth Avenue.

The filing starts what could be a drawn-out legal process.

The Associated Press: Feds move to seizes 4 mosques, skyscraper

could be?

I'm betting we're going to see many more arrests and other actions such as these seizures as a result of people being truly concerned about all the warnings about Hasan and how they were ignored.

Then of course, any connections that may have been involved with Hasan, the imam, the money with Pakistan, etc., will also be swept up. Wanna bet we can't tell which are which?

It will be interesting to see if 'terrorism' goes up as an issue in polling. That wouldn't bode well for the administration, unless of course they 'get tough.' I expect we'll see lots of 'toughness.'

It will be interesting to see if 'terrorism' goes up as an issue in polling. That wouldn't bode well for the administration, unless of course they 'get tough.' I expect we'll see lots of 'toughness.'

Election toughness, not just for judges anymore.
I'd have to see more to decide, but this could work out either way.

Actual terrorists who couldn't be touched until the administration decided they needed to get tough
OR
Someone making a name for getting tough on terror by chasing innocent, but easy, targets

Election toughness, not just for judges anymore.
I'd have to see more to decide, but this could work out either way.

Actual terrorists who couldn't be touched until the administration decided they needed to get tough
OR
Someone making a name for getting tough on terror by chasing innocent, but easy, targets

Considering the 'Chicago Way' the WH and DOJ have been acting, I wouldn't be surprised that rights weren't protected too strongly.

Its not as good as it first looks, but its a start....
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-11-12-mosques-skyscraper-seized_N.htm

NEW YORK (AP) — Federal prosecutors Thursday took steps to seize four U.S. mosques and a Fifth Avenue skyscraper owned by a nonprofit Muslim organization long suspected of being secretly controlled by the Iranian government.
In what could prove to be one of the biggest counterterrorism seizures in U.S. history, prosecutors filed a civil complaint in federal court seeking the forfeiture of more than $500 million in assets of the Alavi Foundation and an alleged front company.

The assets include Islamic centers in New York City, Maryland, California and Houston, more than 100 acres (40 hectares) of land in Virginia, and a 36-story office tower in New York.

Last edited:
Feds move to seize 4 mosques, NYC skyscraper - USATODAY.com

NEW YORK (AP) — Federal prosecutors Thursday took steps to seize four U.S. mosques and a Fifth Avenue skyscraper owned by a nonprofit Muslim organization long suspected of being secretly controlled by the Iranian government.
In what could prove to be one of the biggest counterterrorism seizures in U.S. history, prosecutors filed a civil complaint in federal court seeking the forfeiture of more than $500 million in assets of the Alavi Foundation and an alleged front company.

The assets include Islamic centers in New York City, Maryland, California and Houston, more than 100 acres (40 hectares) of land in Virginia, and a 36-story office tower in New York.
That's a good start...a little late in coming...

The sleek, modern building, last valued at $570 million to $650 million in 2007, has served as important source of income for the foundation over the past 36 years

I guess we're trying to be politically correct and not mistreat the Iranian assholes that profit by it...can't afford to piss them off.

Last edited:
Feds move to seize 4 mosques, NYC skyscraper - USATODAY.com

That's a good start...a little late in coming...

The sleek, modern building, last valued at $570 million to $650 million in 2007, has served as important source of income for the foundation over the past 36 years

I blame Nixon.

The poll choices are a bit misleading so I didn't vote but if the ties are proven to exist beyond a reasonable doubt then I fully support the siezure of the assets and the proceeds being given to U.S. citizens who are victims of Iranian backed terrorist group attacks.

Long suspected? As long there is no proof, I do not support seizure of anyone's property.

Ame®icano;1711386 said:

Long suspected? As long there is no proof, I do not support seizure of anyone's property.

If they've taken this action, odds are very high they've got the hard evidence.

Ame®icano;1711386 said:

At least one would hope. There have been a few, though rare, cases when no hard evidence has ever been presented.

Ame®icano;1711386 said:

At least one would hope. There have been a few, though rare, cases when no hard evidence has ever been presented.

True, but it sounds like this has been under investigation for a while. I doubt they'd take the risk of coming up empty-handed and they'd want to get all their ducks in a row.

Federal prosecutors took steps Thursday to seize four U.S. mosques and a Fifth Avenue skyscraper owned by a nonprofit Muslim organization long suspected of being secretly controlled by the Iranian government.

In what could prove to be one of the biggest counterterrorism seizures in U.S. history, prosecutors filed a civil complaint in federal court against the Alavi Foundation, seeking the forfeiture of more than $500 million in assets.

The assets include bank accounts; Islamic centers consisting of schools and mosques in New York City, Maryland, California and Houston; more than 100 acres in Virginia; and a 36-story glass office tower in New York.

Confiscating the properties would be a sharp blow against Iran, which has been accused by the U.S. government of bankrolling terrorism and trying to build a nuclear bomb.

A telephone call and e-mail to Iran's U.N. Mission seeking comment were not immediately answered.

John D. Winter, the Alavi Foundation's lawyer, said it intends to litigate the case and prevail. He said the foundation has been cooperating with the government's investigation for the better part of a year.

"Obviously the foundation is disappointed that the government has decided to bring this action," Winter told The Associated Press.

It is extremely rare for U.S. law enforcement authorities to seize a house of worship, a step fraught with questions about the First Amendment right to freedom of religion.

The action against the Shiite Muslim mosques is sure to inflame relations between the U.S. government and American Muslims, many of whom are fearful of a backlash after last week's Fort Hood shooting rampage, blamed on a Muslim American major.
Feds move to seize 4 mosques, tower linked to Iran - Forbes.com

Forum List

Back