Fed's Janet Yellen: Not sure we can do negative rates

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
Yellen is not sure negative rates are legal in the US.

I certainly hope not.

CNBC US Home

"In her remarks, Yellen said that more than seven years after the emergency policies were put in place, family incomes and wealth are rising, domestic spending "has continued to advance," and business investment outside the oil sector accelerated in the second half of the year. She said she expects the labor market to continue to improve and inflation eventually rise toward the Fed's target despite a recent drop in inflation expectations cited by some policymakers as particularly unnerving."

I certainly hope not.

CNBC US Home

"In her remarks, Yellen said that more than seven years after the emergency policies were put in place, family incomes and wealth are rising, domestic spending "has continued to advance," and business investment outside the oil sector accelerated in the second half of the year. She said she expects the labor market to continue to improve and inflation eventually rise toward the Fed's target despite a recent drop in inflation expectations cited by some policymakers as particularly unnerving."

Economics not my forte, I know Negative Rates are not good, but just how not good are they?

• Banned

I certainly hope not.

CNBC US Home

Economics not my forte, I know Negative Rates are not good, but just how not good are they?
If we lived in a cashless society, and the federal reserve passed that power to private banking world, our 'credit' could slowly be chipped away by the financial cartels.

I certainly hope not.

CNBC US Home

If we lived in a cashless society, and the federal reserve passed that power to private banking world, our 'credit' could slowly be chipped away by the financial cartels.

Thanks. Okay under no circumstances then must this be allowed to happen.

If she says it, then its probably bullshit.
IDK much about it. I knew a few European countries do it. And Japan just started it..

We are in the beginnings of another recession. Probably a mild one, but things are slowing down for sure. Since rates are low, another tool will be used. Quantitative Easing?

Our and the rest of the world's stability rests on China getting getting itself economically sorted out as well as some negotiated effort among the oil producing nations to move back to a profitability basis and instead of geo-political machinations. Saudi Arabia is trying to break the back of both Russia's and Iran's economies. The quid pro quo on the latter problem will be some sort of recognized division of hegemonic powers among the three in the ME. Affecting that of course is the continued war between Shi'a and Sunni sects.

For Americans, I think that means credit score and capital fluidity and reserves will be the key to maintaining a good path through troubled times. However, if Cruz is elected, be prepared to turn your wealth over to the Christian dominionists, wear sackcloth, and enlist in his holy wars. :lol:

Instead of the bank paying you interest for keeping your money with them you would pay them instead.
that would cause more spending and less saving, wouldn't it?

I think so also, so that way more people in debt and hardly no savings.
Just going by our agreed conclusion, one could say that might be a good thing in a short term sense, wouldn't. And not to bring politics into it, buth the left has been saying that's good for decades..
I mean, IMO, it could e good. Considering shitty people don't get undeserved credit lines..

Our and the rest of the world's stability rests on China getting getting itself economically sorted out as well as some negotiated effort among the oil producing nations to move back to a profitability basis and instead of geo-political machinations. Saudi Arabia is trying to break the back of both Russia's and Iran's economies. The quid pro quo on the latter problem will be some sort of recognized hegemonies for the three in the ME. Affecting that of course is the continued war between Shi'a and Sunni sects.

For Americans, I think that means credit score and capital fluidity and reserves will be the key to maintaining a good path through troubled times. However, if Cruz is elected, be prepared to turn your wealth over to the Christian domionists, wear sackcloth, and enlist in his holy wars. :lol:
Why is high oil a good thing? It only been "high" for a decade or so. Seems to me like people say those things to make you think it's normal.
I remember this article that said "average American saved 500 bucks on gas this holiday season". Saved? 3.50 a gallon doesn't seem "normal". And if it went back up and we get obamas tax on oil barrels, it would suck some nasty dick.

I certainly hope not.

CNBC US Home

Or you can just say, "I don't understand free market capitalism"

I certainly hope not.

CNBC US Home

Or you can just say, "I don't understand free market capitalism"
You mistake what that is, my friend. You can be a slave of the banks if you wish, but I certainly have no intention of that happening.

Forum List

Back