Feds File Another Suit Against AZ

Many ilegals have a tax id number and even pay taxes. You really need to find a different argument. Your logic is faulty to say the least.

so that make them less illegal?? who's got the pretzel logic going on here anyways??

The Justice Department filed another lawsuit against immigration practices by Arizona authorities, saying Monday that a network of community colleges acted illegally in requiring noncitizens to provide their green cards before they could be hired for jobs.

washingtonpost.com

Insanity.

Justice officials said the colleges discriminated against nearly 250 noncitizen job applicants by mandating that they fill out more documents than required by law to prove their eligibility to work. That violated the federal Immigration and Nationality Act, the department said.

The law's antidiscrimination provision "makes it unlawful to treat authorized workers differently during the hiring process based on their citizenship status," said Thomas E. Perez, assistant attorney general for Justice's Civil Rights Division. He said the government "is acting now to remedy this pattern or practice of discrimination."

What did Jan Brewer think, that Americans would just accept these gestapo tactics? AZ is a part of the US and she is not only allowing it's citizens to be harassed, she's encouraging it.
The aspects of this law that you're referring to have all been ruled out by the previous lawsuit.
This has nothing to do with those points.
Proof of citizenship is required to be produced, and verified, when filling out an I-9 form.

I think you might have misread the article, Chanel.

My read is that it wasn't demanding that the applicants merely produce a green card.

It was (apparently) demanding of those who have a green card those "other documents" where the school got into trouble.

Now we don't know what those "other documents" are, do we?

One would think that the Washinton Post would have been good enough to tell us what those "other documents" were, too.

Although you could be right, too, and I might be confused

This is another example of such sloppy journalism that we don't really know what the problem is.

Is the school in trouble for demanding a green card, or was it sued for demanding those "other documents"?

The lawsuit was filed Tuesday before the Executive Office for Immigration Review, a Justice Department unit that adjudicates immigration cases. It was filed on behalf of Zainul Singaporewalla, a U.S. permanent resident who applied for a math teaching position at Glendale Community College, part of the Maricopa network.

After filling out a federal form attesting to his immigration status and producing a driver's license and Social Security card, he was told to complete another form with more immigration-related information, the lawsuit said.

ad_label_leftjust.gif

That form required other documents and his green card. When he couldn't present his green card, the lawsuit said, the college would not process his paperwork and declined to hire him.

The government is asking a judge within the Justice Department unit to order the Maricopa colleges to pay a civil penalty of $1,100 for each of the 247 non-U.S. citizen job applicants it says were required to produce the additional documents. It says the colleges ended the practice in January.

He couldn't produce his green card. Too bad. If I couldn't produce my teaching certificate or my transcripts, or my immunization records, or my criminal background check, etc, I would never have been hired as a teacher either.

Extra documents? I don't know what they are, but I'm sure they were available from somewhere. Big deal.

The fact is that pursuing this ridiculous lawsuit just shows the contempt the Justice Dept. has for AZ and for U.S. citizens in general. Maybe it's time we start a "Hire Americans First" initiative. Get to the back of the line if you lost your frickin green card.

Not to mention that it is law you have to carry your greencard at all times.

The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their Permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times."

USCIS - After a Green Card is Granted

He couldn't produce his green card. Too bad. If I couldn't produce my teaching certificate or my transcripts, or my immunization records, or my criminal background check, etc, I would never have been hired as a teacher either.

Extra documents? I don't know what they are, but I'm sure they were available from somewhere. Big deal.

The fact is that pursuing this ridiculous lawsuit just shows the contempt the Justice Dept. has for AZ and for U.S. citizens in general. Maybe it's time we start a "Hire Americans First" initiative. Get to the back of the line if you lost your frickin green card.

When filling out the I-9, if the employee has DL and SS card that's all that is required (B & C).
Green card would fulfill list A.
Asking for any further documents to verify eligibility is plain out harassment.

When filling out the I-9, if the employee has DL and SS card that's all that is required (B & C).
Green card would fulfill list A.
Asking for any further documents to verify eligibility is plain out harassment.
if you had questions about the authenticity of those documents, asking for the green card would not be out of place

You need to learn something, you've never been asked to produce a green card or been stopped by a cop on the street wanting to see papers proving you're a citizen.

I'm offended that they even thought this would fly, if they want to secede, let them start the process. I do understand their problems with ilegals and crime but this bill is not fair to the citizenry of AZ.

Back to the drawing board.
stop being such a moron, Sarah
look at what needs to be produced even for YOU to get a job
you have to show PROOF of eligibility to work in the USA
YES, even YOU have to do this

Many ilegals have a tax id number and even pay taxes. You really need to find a different argument. Your logic is faulty to say the least.

How do ILLEGALS get a tax ID number? I'm interested in knowing.

stop being such a moron, Sarah
look at what needs to be produced even for YOU to get a job
you have to show PROOF of eligibility to work in the USA
YES, even YOU have to do this

How do ILLEGALS get a tax ID number? I'm interested in knowing.
A resident alien's income is generally subject to tax in the same manner as a U.S. citizen. If you are a resident alien, you must report all interest, dividends, wages, or other compensation for services, income from rental property or royalties, and other types of income on your U.S. tax return. You must report these amounts whether from sources within or outside the United States.
Tax Rates

Resident aliens are generally taxed in the same way as U.S. citizens. This means that their worldwide income is subject to U.S. tax and must be reported on their U.S. tax return. Income of resident aliens is subject to the graduated tax rates that apply to U.S. citizens. Resident aliens use the Tax Table and Tax Rate Schedules which apply to U.S. citizens found in the instructions for Forms 1040 (PDF), 1040A (PDF), or 1040EZ (PDF).

Taxation of Resident Aliens

The Justice Department filed another lawsuit against immigration practices by Arizona authorities, saying Monday that a network of community colleges acted illegally in requiring noncitizens to provide their green cards before they could be hired for jobs.

washingtonpost.com

Insanity.
WTF!?!?!?!
for ANYONE to be hired they have to show the ability to work in the USA
even citizens

Then how is it over 50% of businesses here hire them? How does this work?

WTF!?!?!?!
for ANYONE to be hired they have to show the ability to work in the USA
even citizens

they are breaking the law

Then why aren't those VOTERS busted for it? You are correct, they are breaking the law, yet they always go after the employee's not the employers.

See if you agree with me on this: The illegals will leave if there are no jobs here to be had.

They always look down on the illegals...but what about those law breaking AMERICANS who hire them?

I will give you a little hint (at least here in arizona). They will never enforce the law here that busts businesses who hire them. It hurts the politicians constituents where it matters, in the wallet.

Last edited:

Then why aren't those VOTERS busted for it? You are correct, they are breaking the law, yet they always go after the employee's not the employers.

See if you agree with me on this: The illegals will leave if there are no jobs here to be had.

They always look down on the illegals...but what about those law breaking AMERICANS who hire them?

I will give you a little hint (at least here in arizona). They will never enforce the law here that busts businesses who hire them. It hurts the politicians constituents where it matters, in the wallet.
i'm with you, they SHOULD go after thew companies

glad to hear you actually want to support our immigration laws

I do. I am so tired of Ol sheriff joe with his photo ops busting illegals at restaurants, with the owners standing right there and nothing happening to the owners.

Here is the deal, the illegals go to jail, the owners have nothing done to them (because it would piss off joes voters) and the owners hiring a new illegal crew the next day.

Whats wrong with all this?

Last edited:

I do. I am so tired of Ol sheriff joe with his photo ops busting illegals at restaurants, with the owners standing right there and nothing happening to the owners.

Here is the deal, the illegals go to jail, the owners have nothing done to them (because it would piss off joes voters) and the owners hiring a new illegal crew the next day.

i agree
if they are not diligently verifying they are here legally, then they should face punishment

i agree
if they are not diligently verifying they are here legally, then they should face punishment

I love the signs that say, what part of illegal do you not get? Then I ask them what about the employers and they clam up.

That law you speak of is in the books and its there for a reason, but it is rarely enforced.

i agree

I love the signs that say, what part of illegal do you not get? Then I ask them what about the employers and they clam up.

That law you speak of is in the books and its there for a reason, but it is rarely enforced.

So you agree that Obama shouldn't be using taxpayer money to bring lawsuits against AZ for attempting to enforce immigration laws?

Keep coddling these illegals all you bleeding hearts and then we shall see where this country is going to end up. I can hardly wait to see you on your knees asking yourselves why? why? why?

Forum List

Back