Feds Arrest 2 NJ Men Headed To Terror Camps

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by chanel, Jun 6, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Feds Arrest 2 NJ Men Headed To Terror Camps Liveshots

U.S. citizens just taking a vacation. Is that a crime? :evil:

2. sangha

sangha Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Thank god we now have a president who is keeping on top of the threats this nation faces, and has the intelligence to "connect the dots"

3. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    I thought you were stupid. "Everybody" says you are stupid.:eek::lol::lol:

4. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,683
    he is stupid,, fort hood, arkansas, detroit,, yess feeling like the dots are all connected.

5. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I don't know how this involves the president one way or another, but I think we can all assume that the Patriot Act may have helped catch these guys. I'm just curious what they will be charged with. They didn't get to the camp yet.

6. Toome

Toome Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Just to clarify things: I am certainly for aggressive measures to stop the terrorists before they can act. However, I have to wonder how solid this case will be in court. One of the most difficult things to prove is an intent to commit a crime. Even when it comes to murder, the purchase of a firearm and stalking behavior of an intended victim does not necessarily prove intent to murder that victim. However, it usually is enough to prove murder after it has occurred because the murder victim is the final evidence that ties it all together.

All I'm saying here is how truly difficult it is to prove in a courtroom that these guys intended to become terrorists. Looking at the circumstantial evidence that the article claims, there must be a missing piece that the media doesn't know about but that the FBI can present in court. Otherwise, I truly don't see this as a solid case.

7. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    You're assuming they will see a trial anytime soon. They will be charged as enemy combatants and locked away in that mystical place that "we will shut down in my first year if office" but turns out is actually a good thing to have.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Toome

Toome Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    I don't have a problem with it taking a year to have a trial IF that's how long the process takes. I do have a problem if the US government suspends the process under so-called extenuating circumstances.

As for the "illegal combatants" argument, this should not apply to US citizens. Or to put it another way, US citizens are always entitled to full constitutional protection. I'm not so sure about non-US citizens, but that doesn't mean I endorse ignoring certain basic human rights.

9. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    WHAT????

Do you realize that there are in fact US citizens living abroad who are actively involved in the fight against our nation, including in Afghanistan? Are you suggesting that if the Army comes across an American in that situation that he should be turned over to the justice department and given his rights? LOL

oh and also , the rights given to us by our CON are not basic human rights.

10. Toome

Toome Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Nice try to twist my words. If you look at the basic post, it's about federal agents arresting civilians based on their intent to attend training at a known terrorist camp. That's all I was responding to. That's all the topic is about. I didn't read anything about how the military should treat combatants captured on the battlefield. You should try to stick to topic.

If you want to talk combat, that's a different topic. In combat, it's all about people being treated as combatants because they are pointing weapons at you or because they're wearing the enemy uniform. It's not about arresting anyone or reading them their rights. That's all sorted out after the person is secured, if they survive the initial situation. If you're a combat veteran, I would think you knew this. If not, then I'm not impressed with your baiting.

I don't have a problem with the Geneva Convention. I think that's a good rule of thumb for non-US situations where the Constitution may not apply, and this is what I meant with my comment about basic human rights.

If you're a college graduate, you need to get your money back. You clearly were cheated out of a good education. The Constitution does not grant anyone any rights. It restricts Government with respect to basic rights that people already have. My own personal question is about the rights that are uniquely American as opposed to the rights that are universal. I don't believe that non-US citizens have the same rights as US citizens because they are not subject to US law. However, this doesn't mean that they are without any rights at all. That's not the principle this nation was founded on.