Federally mandated phase out of incandescent bulbs

It is up to the Liberals and government to determine the type of light we will use, we must submit to their ideology, they are the ones we have been waiting for.

Now the government must make all energy expensive, that is the only way to save the earth, I only open the door of my refrigerator once every other day, I want to be "True Clean and Green".
Yeah, I know, you can't be truly free unless you can waste everyone's resources as recklessly as you wish.

Rightwingers belong to the Party Of Me.

What do you all think of this? These newer type of bulbs just don't cut it for me. Plus, they cost an arm and a leg. And, before you all start blaming Obama, it was actually George W Bush who signed this legislation.

A lot of other countries are also mandating this change.

Federal legislation
In December 2007, many of these state efforts became moot when the federal government enacted the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, which requires all general-purpose light bulbs that produce 310–2600 lumens of light[7] be 30% more energy efficient (similar to current halogen lamps) than current incandescent bulbs by 2012 to 2014. The efficiency standards will start with 100-watt bulbs in January 2012 and end with 40-watt bulbs in January 2014.

Light bulbs outside of this range are exempt from the restrictions (historically, less than 40 Watts or more than 150 Watts). Also exempt are several classes of specialty lights, including appliance lamps, rough service bulbs, 3-way, colored lamps, and plant lights.
By 2020, a second tier of restrictions would become effective, which requires all general-purpose bulbs to produce at least 45 lumens per watt (similar to current CFLs). Exemptions from the Act include reflector flood, 3-way, candelabra, colored, and other specialty bulbs.[28]

Phase-out of incandescent light bulbs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are defiantly more efficient, produce light with less heat. They are also very toxic, their packaging instructs you to dispose of them in two zip lock bags, mercury, major problem.....

They are not more reliable though, we have been replacing them by the dozens, we build a line of new homes (Environments For Living) that require a certain percentage to be compact florecents......

What no one cares to acknowledge today is we are continuing to expand the efficiencies in new home construction. Our EFL / Solar Panel community in the Houston market is delivering $170 light bills in 4000+ sq. ft. in July, unheard of in this part of the country.....

The negative to all of this is cost, this particular community drives up builder cost $15K + , net to consumer $20K + ......

I think it is good that the manufacturing of incandescent bulbs will soon be a Federal crime.

Have you ever tried to change on of those motherfuckers after it had been on for a while?

You need an oven mit!

Having freedom of choice is the issue here.

What others pay for anything is none of your business.

It just seems to be such a stupid issue to get worked up over. BTW, we're all here minding each other's business. Got a thin skin, go elsewhere. :cool:

I think it is good that the manufacturing of incandescent bulbs will soon be a Federal crime.

Have you ever tried to change on of those motherfuckers after it had been on for a while?

You need an oven mit!

or you could wait 5 minutes.

How do changing those halogen bulbs work for you?
Ever try them for toasting marshmallows?

another big pain in the ass is getting lampshades on them...or maybe I need to go and buy several new lamps too......oh and my adjustable dim lighting switches which draws down on their lifetime if you dim them, heck I'll just go ahead and pull out my dimmers too......idiots.

I get the squiggly bulbs 4/$9.99. Been using them for 6 years. Ther work well in cold outbuildings. you can get the soft ones or bright ones. They even have floodlight ones.
I expect them to be replaced by LED ones within 10 years. much lower power consumption and they currently make excellent undercabinet lights.

But when we get the antimatter powered lights that will be the cats ass.

I get the squiggly bulbs 4/$9.99. Been using them for 6 years. Ther work well in cold outbuildings. you can get the soft ones or bright ones. They even have floodlight ones.
I expect them to be replaced by LED ones within 10 years. much lower power consumption and they currently make excellent undercabinet lights.

But when we get the antimatter powered lights that will be the cats ass.

We just started using the squiggly bulbs. They save money in the long run.

We currently have one LED for the cable drum of one of the big overhead cranes. In the summer when we are running 2" or better armor, it really gets hot up there. If it works out, we plan to use LEDs for all the small lights.

Congressional negotiators struck a deal Thursday that overturns the new rules that were to have banned sales of traditional incandescent light bulbs beginning next year.

That agreement is tucked inside the massive 1,200-page spending bill that funds the government through the rest of this fiscal year, and which both houses of Congress will vote on Friday. Mr. Obama is expected to sign the bill, which heads off a looming government shutdown.

Congressional Republicans dropped almost all of the policy restrictions they tried to attach to the bill, but won inclusion of the light bulb provision, which prevents the Obama administration from carrying through a 2007 law that would have set energy efficiency standards that effectively made the traditional light bulb obsolete.

The bill doesn’t actually amend the 2007 law, but does prohibit the administration from spending any money to carry out the light bulb standards — which amounts to at least a temporary reprieve.

Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban - Washington Times

Congressional negotiators struck a deal Thursday that overturns the new rules that were to have banned sales of traditional incandescent light bulbs beginning next year.

That agreement is tucked inside the massive 1,200-page spending bill that funds the government through the rest of this fiscal year, and which both houses of Congress will vote on Friday. Mr. Obama is expected to sign the bill, which heads off a looming government shutdown.

Congressional Republicans dropped almost all of the policy restrictions they tried to attach to the bill, but won inclusion of the light bulb provision, which prevents the Obama administration from carrying through a 2007 law that would have set energy efficiency standards that effectively made the traditional light bulb obsolete.

The bill doesn’t actually amend the 2007 law, but does prohibit the administration from spending any money to carry out the light bulb standards — which amounts to at least a temporary reprieve.

Hot damn, this is good news! Cake?

B001DI4VN0-1-lg.jpg

You mean the Nazi M-pyre is going to let you choose what kind of bulb you can buy, just like people living in the free world ?
WOW.:cuckoo: :jerkit:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back