Federally mandated phase out of incandescent bulbs

The last two generations were in a way full of fools.

Fools who required big government to force them to stop burning coal to heat their homes in st louis.

Fools who needed big government to tell them catalytic converters were necessary.

Fools who would still be burning leaded gas if they could.

At least some (a majority I suppose) purposely or accidently voted for representatives who favored the bans.

The new bulbs use less electricity. They do have different light tones than we have become accustomed to. My trick has been to use two where i used to use one old style. I still save on electricity and I get fewer deep shadows.

It makes you wonder if it was hard to convince the public of that at the time.

You are replacing a very safe and reliable means with one far more dangerous and expensive by mandate, not Public Consent. How is this comparable?????
The mercury danger is grossly exaggerated. There is only 5mg, about a pin head's worth, in each bulb and newer designs use even less. Furthermore the net contribution of mercury to the environment even if none of the CFLs were recycled would still be less than than the mercury contribution of incandescents.

That mercury is in gas form, take a real deep breath Sparky. You know you fucked up, shoving this down our throats both figuratively and literally. Why not just admit it. Are Modern Nuclear Plants safe? Are there safer places where they can be constructed? Is it more prudent to store Spent Fuel Rod's or Reprocess them? How much Mercury is released with Nuclear Energy, or Hydro Energy, is used as the Power source?

I will sign off on a bill banning new coal plants in favor of hydro, solar and wind in exchange for a 10% tax on the old style bulbs. That would raise their price to make the new efficient ones more attractive while solving some environmental problems.

Mercury in the air comes primarily from burning fossil fuels such as coal, the most common fuel used to produce electricity in the United States.

Because a compact fluorescent lamp uses up to 75 percent less energy than an incandescent bulb and lasts up to 10 times longer, a power plant will emit 10 mg of mercury to produce the electricity to run an incandescent bulb compared to 2.4 mg of mercury or less to run a compact fluorescent lamp for the same length of time.

True, but I read that incandescent light bulbs only account for 5% of the electricity utilized in the USA. So eliminating their use would only reduce mercury emissions from power plants that burn coal by 5%.

On the other hand,

"The Environmental Integrity Project report says, 'Activated carbon injection, which is commercially available and has been tested through the Department of Energy's Clean Coal Power Initiative, can achieve mercury reductions of 90 percent on both bituminous and sub-bituminous coals.' "
See: Mercury Emissions Up at Coal-Burning Power Plants

We have indoor floods in the basement. I put in two fluorescent and two regular bulbs. The fluorescent bulbs drove me batty . .. er, battier than usual. I ripped those suckers out. They also took a good five minutes to come up to full light. I hate them. I've been stockpiling incandescent bulbs for awhile. You can get a four pack for a buck or two. Cheap!

^^^
what she said

I will sign off on a bill banning new coal plants in favor of hydro, solar and wind in exchange for a 10% tax on the old style bulbs. That would raise their price to make the new efficient ones more attractive while solving some environmental problems.

You cannot make compact fluorescent bulbs without coal. Solar and wind put together cannot supply the energy to smelt iron or melt sand into glass to make a light bulb. So tax the bulb that pollutes the least.

Mercury in the air comes primarily from burning fossil fuels such as coal, the most common fuel used to produce electricity in the United States.

Because a compact fluorescent lamp uses up to 75 percent less energy than an incandescent bulb and lasts up to 10 times longer, a power plant will emit 10 mg of mercury to produce the electricity to run an incandescent bulb compared to 2.4 mg of mercury or less to run a compact fluorescent lamp for the same length of time.

True, but I read that incandescent light bulbs only account for 5% of the electricity utilized in the USA. So eliminating their use would only reduce mercury emissions from power plants that burn coal by 5%.

On the other hand,

"The Environmental Integrity Project report says, 'Activated carbon injection, which is commercially available and has been tested through the Department of Energy's Clean Coal Power Initiative, can achieve mercury reductions of 90 percent on both bituminous and sub-bituminous coals.' "
CFL vs Incandescent Light Bulb

According to the U.S. Department of Energy, lighting in the U.S. accounts for 22% of electricity consumption and costs American’s $58 billion a year. If every American home replaced just one light bulb with a compact fluorescent light bulb (your everyday energy “efficient” bulb), we would save $600 million per year in energy costs and prevent greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to 800,000 cars.

On the other hand,

According to the U.S. Department of Energy, lighting in the U.S. accounts for 22% of electricity consumption and costs American’s $58 billion a year. If every American home replaced just one light bulb with a compact fluorescent light bulb (your everyday energy “efficient” bulb), we would save $600 million per year in energy costs and prevent greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to 800,000 cars.

The US Department of Energy is the problem. How much energy do they produce. You actually believe what the government tells you.

Sad fact, green energy is so weak it does not power old fashion light bulbs. CFL's are ten watts and old fashion light bulbs are 100 watt. The Department of energy needs all the sheeple to use 10 watt bulbs so that when the wind blows it can light a light bulb.

When the government says green energy powers a million homes, it means a million 10 watt homes, dont forget the triple plate insulating glass as well.

Greenhouse gas, you mean CO2, that stuff that they make into dry ice.

Maybe Michele Bachmann's "Freedom of Choice Act" repealing this section of the energy act back in 2006 or whenever it was passed, will finally see the light of day out of committee.

Dumbest fucking law that the W whitehouse signed outside of NCLB and the TARP among others.

On the other hand,

I was just making an estimate of residential use of incandescent light bulbs.

I got my information from Percentage of Energy Used by Incandescent Light Bulbs in Homes

According to that source:
"According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the residential sector accounted for 37.1 percent of total electricity and 21.4 percent of total energy delivered in 2007. [Residential] incandescent lighting would account for roughly 5 percent of total electricity usage and 1.2 percent of total energy usage."

How do you clean up a fluorescent light bulb that you've dropped and broken?

Before Cleanup: Air Out the Room

* Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage area on their way out.
* Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
* Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.

Cleanup Steps for Hard Surfaces

* Carefully scoop up glass pieces and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
* Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
* Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place towels in the glass jar or plastic bag.
* Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.

Cleanup Steps for Carpeting or Rug

* Carefully pick up glass fragments and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
* Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
* If vacuuming is needed after all visible materials are removed, vacuum the area where the bulb was broken.
* Remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister), and put the bag or vacuum debris in a sealed plastic bag.

Cleanup Steps for Clothing, Bedding and Other Soft Materials

* If clothing or bedding materials come in direct contact with broken glass or mercury-containing powder from inside the bulb that may stick to the fabric, the clothing or bedding should be thrown away. Do not wash such clothing or bedding because mercury fragments in the clothing may contaminate the machine and/or pollute sewage.
* You can, however, wash clothing or other materials that have been exposed to the mercury vapor from a broken CFL, such as the clothing you are wearing when you cleaned up the broken CFL, as long as that clothing has not come into direct con tact with the materials from the broken bulb.
* If shoes come into direct contact with broken glass or mercury-containing powder from the bulb, wipe them off with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place the towels or wipes in a glass jar or plastic bag for disposal.

Disposal of Cleanup Materials

* Immediately place all clean-up materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area for the next normal trash pickup.
* Wash your hands after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing clean-up materials.
* Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your specific area. Some states do not allow such trash disposal. Instead, they require that broken and unbroken mercury-containing bulbs be taken to a local recycling center.

Future Cleaning of Carpeting or Rug: Air Out the Room During and After Vacuuming

* The next several times you vacuum, shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system and open a window before vacuuming.
* Keep the central heating/air conditioning system shut off and the window open for at least 15 minutes after vacuuming is completed.

Cleaning Up a Broken Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (CFL) | Cleanup and Safe Disposal of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs | US EPA

Sorry, that's fucking ridiculous. I don't care how much freakin' energy they save. There has to be a better way to save energy without mercury in light bulbs. I won't buy them I tell ya, I won't! :mad:

On the other hand,

20% for nuclear power so thats 4% savings at best, knowing how they manipulate numbers its best to say the light bulbs in no way account for 5% of our electrical use. Add industrial electrical use and most likely there is zero savings.

All that work and money spent by the government, the money every generation will have to pay forever, and all the government did was make some corporation which they own stock in rich.

Who would of figured politicians could pass laws to make companies and commodities stocks climb, I wish I was a fat rich politician getting rich off the laws i pass.

What happens to LED Traffic Signal Lights in Snow Storms and how much is the added maintenance cost? How much is the risk of human life worth?

You are replacing a very safe and reliable means with one far more dangerous and expensive by mandate, not Public Consent. How is this comparable?????
The mercury danger is grossly exaggerated. There is only 5mg, about a pin head's worth, in each bulb and newer designs use even less. Furthermore the net contribution of mercury to the environment even if none of the CFLs were recycled would still be less than than the mercury contribution of incandescents.

That mercury is in gas form, take a real deep breath Sparky. You know you fucked up, shoving this down our throats both figuratively and literally. Why not just admit it. Are Modern Nuclear Plants safe? Are there safer places where they can be constructed? Is it more prudent to store Spent Fuel Rod's or Reprocess them? How much Mercury is released with Nuclear Energy, or Hydro Energy, is used as the Power source?
One CFL has 5 mg of mercury, a 6 oz can of tuna has over 50 mg. How many cans of tuna do you eat per broken CFL?

How many cans of tuna are in circulation compared to the number of CFL light bulbs?
A hell of a lot more, but what does that have to do with the fact that the average person eats more cans of tuna in a year than they will ever break CFLs in a lifetime? :cuckoo:

Just remember, you would have to break 10 CFLs and breath in every mg of mercury to be exposed to the same amount of mercury as one 6 oz can of tuna!

Tuna has more mercury? Where is the MSDS? What is the recomended clean up of that?

We need to protect ourselves from these folks scaring us of every little thing. I mean geesh guys. The generation who went to the moon grew up with lead paint all over their homes.

Forum List

Back