Federally mandated phase out of incandescent bulbs

I was in a furniture store and asked the gal why they didn't use flourescent bulbs. They must have had 500 incandecent bulbs burning away at 100 watts each. She said they distort the color of fabric. Hmm.
A typical load of CON$ervative crap. CFLs come in all light ranges.

Natural Daylight Compact Fluorescent Bulbs - Full Spectrum Lighting

Natural Daylight Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

The BlueMax™ High Definition Energy Saving Light Bulbs

These cutting edge Compact Fluorescent light bulbs provide you with 10,000 hours of natural white light. By using less energy, you help to preserve our natural resources and reduce pollution. Replace fewer bulbs and save money on your electric bill while enjoying the benefits of natural daylight indoors.

Features:

HD Color Technology formula features a 94CRI -5900K six color amalgam blend.
High-Temperature thermal management system allows unlimited installation options with reliable start and operation temperatures from 0°F-120°F.(Can be installed in enclosed fixtures)
Electronic Ballast rapid start circuitry with end of life protection and electronic preheat.
Energy Saving lamps use 80% less energy than incandescent lamps.
Energy Star approved.
Long Life features mean these lamps last 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
Frequently asked questions about Compact Fluorescent Bulbs: CFL Bulb FAQ

Yea assholes, you have a choice, you can buy one of six brilliant colored bulbs, as long as they contain mercury. We have passed the law, see, the government law will cover everything, even your light, and the government is not against giving your choices, read the law, you will see your choice is protected and defined by government. The government even passed a law telling you how to throw away the contraption once it becomes toxic garbage.

Government mandated Compact Fluorescent bulbs.
Government mandated Green Energy.

Both cost more.

Government mandated Compact Fluorescent bulbs are also toxic waste as defined by Government laws, regulations and mandates.

The government has allowed millions of illegal aliens in our country.

How many government mandated toxic mercury light bulbs will the illegal aliens throw away, will they break our environmental laws after breaking our immigration laws.

So much waste, yet the government politicians are rich, the green energy lawyers are rich, the liberal green activists are rich.

The only one who cannot seem to afford all these "radical" ideas is me, the wingnut.

I was in a furniture store and asked the gal why they didn't use flourescent bulbs. They must have had 500 incandecent bulbs burning away at 100 watts each. She said they distort the color of fabric. Hmm.

These cutting edge Compact Fluorescent light bulbs provide you with 10,000 hours of natural white light. By using less energy, you help to preserve our natural resources and reduce pollution. Replace fewer bulbs and save money on your electric bill while enjoying the benefits of natural daylight indoors.

Features:

High-Temperature thermal management system allows unlimited installation options with reliable start and operation temperatures from 0°F-120°F.(Can be installed in enclosed fixtures)
Electronic Ballast rapid start circuitry with end of life protection and electronic preheat.
Energy Star approved.
Long Life features mean these lamps last 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs.

I don't recall her political leaning. But when she leaned over with that low-cut sweater I knew I had to strike up a conversation STAT. :D

How much mercury is in incandescents, professor?
A lot less than any CON$ervative will ever admit!

From the above link:

each bulb contains about 5 milligrams (mg) of mercury

Compact Fluorescent Lamps Generate Less Mercury Overall
Before ruling out CFLs because of the mercury they contain and the extra effort involved in their disposal, keep in mind that compact fluorescent lamps also prevent mercury from entering the air, which is the greatest public health risk. Mercury in the air comes primarily from burning fossil fuels such as coal, the most common fuel used to produce electricity in the United States.

Because a compact fluorescent lamp uses up to 75 percent less energy than an incandescent bulb and lasts up to 10 times longer, a power plant will emit 10 mg of mercury to produce the electricity to run an incandescent bulb compared to 2.4 mg of mercury or less to run a compact fluorescent lamp for the same length of time.

Features:

Energy Star approved.

Yea assholes, you have a choice, you can buy one of six brilliant colored bulbs, as long as they contain mercury. We have passed the law, see, the government law will cover everything, even your light, and the government is not against giving your choices, read the law, you will see your choice is protected and defined by government. The government even passed a law telling you how to throw away the contraption once it becomes toxic garbage.

Both cost more.

Government mandated Compact Fluorescent bulbs are also toxic waste as defined by Government laws, regulations and mandates.

How many government mandated toxic mercury light bulbs will the illegal aliens throw away, will they break our environmental laws after breaking our immigration laws.

So much waste, yet the government politicians are rich, the green energy lawyers are rich, the liberal green activists are rich.

The only one who cannot seem to afford all these "radical" ideas is me, the wingnut.
Don't you wingnuts ever get tired of lying?

CFLs are not classified as toxic waste and can be purchased for as little as $1.50 each in bulk, and sometimes less on sale.

Mercury in Compact Fluorescent Lamps - Health Hazard or Environmental Benefit?

While compact fluorescent lamps used in homes are not legally classified as hazardous waste and only large commercial users of fluorescent lights are required to recycle, proper disposal of CFLs is still the best option for both the environment and human health.

Shop Bright Effects 18-Pack 60-Watt Replacement CFL Twist Contractor at Lowes.com

Bright Effects 18-Pack 60-Watt Replacement CFL Twist Contractor
Item #: 306204 | Model #: 60073
Overall Rating:
721365600734lg.jpg

2 reviews | Write a review
$26.34

It's not exactly a big surprise that we just found out about either.

February 15, 2007 The Environmental Protection Agency and some large business, including Wal-Mart, are aggressively promoting the sale of compact fluorescent light bulbs as a way to save energy and fight global warming. They want Americans to buy many millions of them over the coming years.

But the bulbs contain small amounts of mercury, a neurotoxin, and the companies and federal government haven't come up with effective ways to get Americans to recycle them.

"The problem with the bulbs is that they'll break before they get to the landfill. They'll break in containers, or they'll break in a dumpster or they'll break in the trucks. Workers may be exposed to very high levels of mercury when that happens," says John Skinner, executive director of the Solid Waste Association of North America, the trade group for the people who handle trash and recycling.

Skinner says when bulbs break near homes, they can contaminate the soil.

Mercury is a potent neurotoxin, and it's especially dangerous for children and fetuses. Most exposure to mercury comes from eating fish contaminated with mercury,

Some states, cities and counties have outlawed putting CFL bulbs in the trash, but in most states the practice is legal.

Pete Keller works for Eco Lights Northwest, the only company in Washington state that recycles fluorescent lamps. He says it is illegal to put the bulbs in the trash in some counties in Washington, but most people still throw them out.

CFL Bulbs Have One Hitch: Toxic Mercury : NPR

Features:

Energy Star approved.

If I replaced all 30 of my regular lightbulbs with this one from your link

Watt BlueMax™ High-Temp - HD Compact Fluorescent Bulb
Shaped like a traditional incandescent light bulb, but its an energy saving CFL. 16 watt bulb equivalent to 75 watt incandescent bulb, Dimensions: 4 3/4"l x 2 3/8"w", 950 lumens 10,000 hour average life.
Sale Price: $14.00

it would cost me at total of $445. The incandescent ones I buy now cost about a buck a bulb (and about half that if I get them on a good sale) and last 750 hours each. I'd have to spend $14 to get 10,500 hours out of one incandescent bulb, which equals $14 and 10,000 hours out of one fluorescent bulb. So even though the florescent bulb claim is that their pricey upfront cost means a longer lasting bulb, when you do the math they don't really save anything as far as I can tell.

What am I do to when I drop one of these suckers on the floor? How does that get cleaned up? Don't tell me that the mercury is minuscule and that uncle says it's safe. That's bunk. Who wants to handle any amount of mercury to clean up a light bulb?

February 15, 2007 The Environmental Protection Agency and some large business, including Wal-Mart, are aggressively promoting the sale of compact fluorescent light bulbs as a way to save energy and fight global warming. They want Americans to buy many millions of them over the coming years.

But the bulbs contain small amounts of mercury, a neurotoxin, and the companies and federal government haven't come up with effective ways to get Americans to recycle them.

"The problem with the bulbs is that they'll break before they get to the landfill. They'll break in containers, or they'll break in a dumpster or they'll break in the trucks. Workers may be exposed to very high levels of mercury when that happens," says John Skinner, executive director of the Solid Waste Association of North America, the trade group for the people who handle trash and recycling.

Mercury is a potent neurotoxin, and it's especially dangerous for children and fetuses. Most exposure to mercury comes from eating fish contaminated with mercury,

Some states, cities and counties have outlawed putting CFL bulbs in the trash, but in most states the practice is legal.

Pete Keller works for Eco Lights Northwest, the only company in Washington state that recycles fluorescent lamps. He says it is illegal to put the bulbs in the trash in some counties in Washington, but most people still throw them out.

Of course they will still throw them out. And these bulbs will leech their mercury into the earth. So we're 'going green' on one end and 'killing the earth' on the other end. :cuckoo:

From the above link:

Before ruling out CFLs because of the mercury they contain and the extra effort involved in their disposal, keep in mind that compact fluorescent lamps also prevent mercury from entering the air, which is the greatest public health risk. Mercury in the air comes primarily from burning fossil fuels such as coal, the most common fuel used to produce electricity in the United States.

Because a compact fluorescent lamp uses up to 75 percent less energy than an incandescent bulb and lasts up to 10 times longer, a power plant will emit 10 mg of mercury to produce the electricity to run an incandescent bulb compared to 2.4 mg of mercury or less to run a compact fluorescent lamp for the same length of time.

Features:

Energy Star approved.

Both cost more.

CFLs are not classified as toxic waste and can be purchased for as little as $1.50 each in bulk, and sometimes less on sale.

While compact fluorescent lamps used in homes are not legally classified as hazardous waste and only large commercial users of fluorescent lights are required to recycle, proper disposal of CFLs is still the best option for both the environment and human health.

Shop Bright Effects 18-Pack 60-Watt Replacement CFL Twist Contractor at Lowes.com

Overall Rating:
721365600734lg.jpg

$26.34

How about you, I wont call you a liar, I will just say you are to stupid to understand that there are such things ad MSDS.

A Material Safety Data Sheet. Its a law, Everyone who works in industry knows of these, its the law.

http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/us/ecatalog/msds/s08-93005.pdf

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET Revised: 8/02
PRODUCT: PLC 22W 15mm, and PLC 28W 15mm Compact Fluorescent
Page 1 of 3
SECTION 1: MANUFACTURER
Manufacturer's Name and Address: Philips Lighting Company
A Division of Philips Electronics
North America Corporation
200 Franklin Square Drive
P. O. Box 6800
Somerset, N. J. 08875

SECTION 7: PRECAUTIONS FOR SAFE HANDLING AND USE
Normal precautions should be taken for collection of broken glass.
Waste Disposal Method: At the end of rated life, when this lamp is removed from service, it will be
subjected to the current Toxic Characteristic Leaching Procedure (TCLP) prescribed by the
Environmental Protection Agency. This test is used to determining whether an item is a hazardous waste
or a non-hazardous waste under current E. P. A. definition. These lamps would fail the TCLP test and
would be considered hazardous under the Universal Waste Rules. Generators should evaluate all of the
disposal options, which may be available in the particular state in which the generator’s facility is located.
The generator should check with federal, state and local officials for their guidance. Philips encourages
recycling of its products by qualified recyclers.

We have indoor floods in the basement. I put in two fluorescent and two regular bulbs. The fluorescent bulbs drove me batty . .. er, battier than usual. I ripped those suckers out. They also took a good five minutes to come up to full light. I hate them. I've been stockpiling incandescent bulbs for awhile. You can get a four pack for a buck or two. Cheap!

I've had more than a few burn out and totally stink out a room. They expose you to mercury vapor when that happens.

I wonder if there was this much fuss when the country changed from the typical gas lights in the home to electric lights?

Additionally from your link:

She says that even though fluorescent bulbs contain mercury, using them contributes less mercury to the environment than using regular incandescent bulbs. That's because they use less electricity — and coal-fired power plants are the biggest source of mercury emissions in the air.

I wonder if there was this much fuss when the country changed from the typical gas lights in the home to electric lights?

Incandescents are totally safe.

It makes you wonder if it was hard to convince the public of that at the time.

You are replacing a very safe and reliable means with one far more dangerous and expensive by mandate, not Public Consent. How is this comparable?????

From the above link:

Features:

Energy Star approved.

Both cost more.

Overall Rating:
721365600734lg.jpg

$26.34

Features:

Energy Star approved.

If I replaced all 30 of my regular lightbulbs with this one from your link

Watt BlueMax™ High-Temp - HD Compact Fluorescent Bulb
Shaped like a traditional incandescent light bulb, but its an energy saving CFL. 16 watt bulb equivalent to 75 watt incandescent bulb, Dimensions: 4 3/4"l x 2 3/8"w", 950 lumens 10,000 hour average life.
Sale Price: $14.00

it would cost me at total of $445. The incandescent ones I buy now cost about a buck a bulb (and about half that if I get them on a good sale) and last 750 hours each. I'd have to spend $14 to get 10,500 hours out of one incandescent bulb, which equals $14 and 10,000 hours out of one fluorescent bulb. So even though the florescent bulb claim is that their pricey upfront cost means a longer lasting bulb, when you do the math they don't really save anything as far as I can tell.

What am I do to when I drop one of these suckers on the floor? How does that get cleaned up? Don't tell me that the mercury is minuscule and that uncle says it's safe. That's bunk. Who wants to handle any amount of mercury to clean up a light bulb?
Those $14 bulbs were to counter the claim that the bulbs threw off the color of fabrics in the store. As I posted earlier, you can get CFLs at Lowes regular price in bulk for less than $1.50 each, so for about $53 you could replace all 30 of your bulbs and have 6 left over.

Additionally from your link:

She says that even though fluorescent bulbs contain mercury, using them contributes less mercury to the environment than using regular incandescent bulbs. That's because they use less electricity — and coal-fired power plants are the biggest source of mercury emissions in the air.

Not New Coal Technology which is being obstructed because of CO2 Emissions. More Bullshit from the Left.

Incandescents are totally safe.

It makes you wonder if it was hard to convince the public of that at the time.

You are replacing a very safe and reliable means with one far more dangerous and expensive by mandate, not Public Consent. How is this comparable?????
The mercury danger is grossly exaggerated. There is only 5mg, about a pin head's worth, in each bulb and newer designs use even less. Furthermore the net contribution of mercury to the environment even if none of the CFLs were recycled would still be less than than the mercury contribution of incandescents.

Forum List

Back