Federally mandated phase out of incandescent bulbs

Middleman

Defender of the month
May 16, 2010
Northwestern United States
What do you all think of this? These newer type of bulbs just don't cut it for me. Plus, they cost an arm and a leg. And, before you all start blaming Obama, it was actually George W Bush who signed this legislation.

A lot of other countries are also mandating this change.

Federal legislation
In December 2007, many of these state efforts became moot when the federal government enacted the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, which requires all general-purpose light bulbs that produce 310–2600 lumens of light[7] be 30% more energy efficient (similar to current halogen lamps) than current incandescent bulbs by 2012 to 2014. The efficiency standards will start with 100-watt bulbs in January 2012 and end with 40-watt bulbs in January 2014.

Light bulbs outside of this range are exempt from the restrictions (historically, less than 40 Watts or more than 150 Watts). Also exempt are several classes of specialty lights, including appliance lamps, rough service bulbs, 3-way, colored lamps, and plant lights.
By 2020, a second tier of restrictions would become effective, which requires all general-purpose bulbs to produce at least 45 lumens per watt (similar to current CFLs). Exemptions from the Act include reflector flood, 3-way, candelabra, colored, and other specialty bulbs.[28]

Phase-out of incandescent light bulbs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmm...googling...yep just as I thought...some epilepsy sufferers cannot take florescent bulbs...guess they will have to sit in the dark.

Apparently, LED technology is still in its infancy, and shows promise. But, those bulbs cost $20 a piece. I like regular bulbs because they have great lighting, and they're cheap. If I knock over a lamp, it's not a major loss.

I'm with Oddball. Maybe I'll invest in $5000 of incandescent bulbs. I can then resell them on the black market and make a bundle.

GE has had to eliminate more than 500 jobs because of this legislation.
At our current American wages, the compact fluorescent is cost prohibitive to manufacture in the US.
China gets the jobs
:clap2:

The Green Bulbs are a toxic nightmare when they burn out. Total Bullshit.

I was in a furniture store and asked the gal why they didn't use flourescent bulbs. They must have had 500 incandecent bulbs burning away at 100 watts each. She said they distort the color of fabric. Hmm.

The Green Bulbs are a toxic nightmare when they burn out. Total Bullshit.
That's why they have recycle bins in places like Home Depot. We did our whole house with them nearly 4 years ago when there were some big sales. We have never had replace one yet.

It is up to the Liberals and government to determine the type of light we will use, we must submit to their ideology, they are the ones we have been waiting for.

Now the government must make all energy expensive, that is the only way to save the earth, I only open the door of my refrigerator once every other day, I want to be "True Clean and Green".

They are 3 times more expensive than incandesents.

They last 8 times longer than incandesents.

They use only 25 percent of the electricity of incandesents.

Green bulbs are better than incandesents.

They are 3 times more expensive than incandesents.

They last 8 times longer than incandesents.

They use only 25 percent of the electricity of incandesents.

Green bulbs are better than incandesents.

They are also 100x's heavier, heavy, takes stuff to make things heavy, stuff like natural resources, so if its heavier that means it takes more resources to make, that means making the bulb that is heavier creates more pollution during manufacturing than the lighter bulb.

Ah, who cares, its a small business that sells Compact fluorescent light bulbs not large corporations with ties to mines or oil wells, right.

How much mercury is in incandescents, professor?
A lot less than any CON$ervative will ever admit!

From the above link:

each bulb contains about 5 milligrams (mg) of mercury

Compact Fluorescent Lamps Generate Less Mercury Overall
Before ruling out CFLs because of the mercury they contain and the extra effort involved in their disposal, keep in mind that compact fluorescent lamps also prevent mercury from entering the air, which is the greatest public health risk. Mercury in the air comes primarily from burning fossil fuels such as coal, the most common fuel used to produce electricity in the United States.

Because a compact fluorescent lamp uses up to 75 percent less energy than an incandescent bulb and lasts up to 10 times longer, a power plant will emit 10 mg of mercury to produce the electricity to run an incandescent bulb compared to 2.4 mg of mercury or less to run a compact fluorescent lamp for the same length of time.

^^^^^^^^^
Hence, all of that justifies having the proletariat forced into using whatever lighting source the ruling class deems appropriate for them...At gunpoint if necessary.

Now, put your seat belts on, wear your helmets, eat your fruits and veggies, and don't ever hang around them awful teabagger types. :rolleyes:

^^^^^^^^^
Hence, all of that justifies having the proletariat forced into using whatever lighting source the ruling class deems appropriate for them...At gunpoint if necessary.

Now, put your seat belts on, wear your helmets, eat your fruits and veggies, and don't ever hang around them awful teabagger types. :rolleyes:

Now I am confused, the Green save the Earth Liberals are passing government mandated law favoring one industry over another, forcing us to buy one product over the other, and going as far as giving tax money from my pocket to the man who owns the business favored by liberals and governments, and the liberals call my idea of saying "no", as radical right.

Clean energy takes money from the poor middle class and gives money to the rich and I am a "wingnut" for saying no.

I was in a furniture store and asked the gal why they didn't use flourescent bulbs. They must have had 500 incandecent bulbs burning away at 100 watts each. She said they distort the color of fabric. Hmm.
A typical load of CON$ervative crap. CFLs come in all light ranges.

Natural Daylight Compact Fluorescent Bulbs - Full Spectrum Lighting

Natural Daylight Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

The BlueMax™ High Definition Energy Saving Light Bulbs

These cutting edge Compact Fluorescent light bulbs provide you with 10,000 hours of natural white light. By using less energy, you help to preserve our natural resources and reduce pollution. Replace fewer bulbs and save money on your electric bill while enjoying the benefits of natural daylight indoors.

Features:

HD Color Technology formula features a 94CRI -5900K six color amalgam blend.
High-Temperature thermal management system allows unlimited installation options with reliable start and operation temperatures from 0°F-120°F.(Can be installed in enclosed fixtures)
Electronic Ballast rapid start circuitry with end of life protection and electronic preheat.
Energy Saving lamps use 80% less energy than incandescent lamps.
Energy Star approved.
Long Life features mean these lamps last 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
Frequently asked questions about Compact Fluorescent Bulbs: CFL Bulb FAQ

Forum List

Back