Federal Workers Are Underpaid Compared To Their Private Sector Counterparts

Personal experience.

My response stated MANY. Your $2k per year for HI are pre-tax dollars. SS and Medicare were not/are not part of SALARY, which was what the OP had linked too.
Also, there are many layers of Fed employees. Not each layer has a defined benefit plan.
Just take a look at congressional pay/benefits and see what you find.
MANY are given a nice retirement salary, for few years on the job, at the expense of the taxpayer.

All Federal Employees receive the same benefits package and that includes Congress. No one receives a nice retirement package for a few years on the job. You get one percent of your salary for every year worked starting at age 62 for Congressmen.

A Senator who served two terms would get 12% of $172,000 or $21,000 a year once he reached the age of 62

Have you googled the benefits a President gets after one term?
CIA, FBI, ICE, HLS?
I am not referring to the worker bees.

But back to federal salaries.
Here is a list of WH staff salaries. It does not include benefits.
2011 Annual Report to Congress on White House Staff | The White House
The 'Assistant to the President (fill in the blanks)' are commonly known as Czars.

I don't see your point. I see salaries of $45 k to $172k. Not extreme when compared to the private sector where top executive pay routinely tops $1 million.

I would not compare the benefits a president makes as indicative of the whole federal workforce

Regarding the so-called "duel of sources," above, the problem is not that the sources are using different facts but that they are making different statements. These two statements DO NOT mean the same thing:

1) Government employees are paid less than THEIR COUNTERPARTS in the private sector.

2) Government workers are paid more ON THE AVERAGE than private sector workers.

These statements do not conflict, and BOTH of them are true. The reason it's true is because there are no government-worker equivalents to burger flippers, temp workers, and similar low-paid private-sector employees. These employees bring down the AVERAGE private-sector pay, leaving the AVERAGE government pay package higher.

However, if you compare what people are paid in government versus for THE SAME TYPE OF WORK in the private sector, then you find that the private sector pays more (including benefits).

Won't someone please tell me what to believe?

Probably not, but I'd put my money on the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

I use the Bureau of Labor Statistics quite a bit in my job as a Safety professional. Their statistics are detailed, accurate and entirely non-partisan.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) is a unit of the United States Department of Labor. It is the principal fact-finding agency for the U.S. government in the broad field of labor economics and statistics. The BLS is a governmental statistical agency that collects, processes, analyzes, and disseminates essential statistical data to the American public, the U.S. Congress, other Federal agencies, State and local governments, business, and labor representatives. The BLS also serves as a statistical resource to the Department of Labor.

To avoid the appearance of partiality, the dates of major data releases are scheduled more than a year in advance, in coordination with the Office of Management and Budget.

Bureau of Labor Statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

ahh you're a safety professional as well?

what certs do you have?

what type of safety?

Won't someone please tell me what to believe?

Probably not, but I'd put my money on the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

I use the Bureau of Labor Statistics quite a bit in my job as a Safety professional. Their statistics are detailed, accurate and entirely non-partisan.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) is a unit of the United States Department of Labor. It is the principal fact-finding agency for the U.S. government in the broad field of labor economics and statistics. The BLS is a governmental statistical agency that collects, processes, analyzes, and disseminates essential statistical data to the American public, the U.S. Congress, other Federal agencies, State and local governments, business, and labor representatives. The BLS also serves as a statistical resource to the Department of Labor.

To avoid the appearance of partiality, the dates of major data releases are scheduled more than a year in advance, in coordination with the Office of Management and Budget.

Bureau of Labor Statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

And the Bureau of Economic Analysis is no good because???
About BEA
The Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) promotes a better understanding of the U.S. economy by providing the most timely, relevant, and accurate economic accounts data in an objective and cost-effective manner.

However, if you compare what people are paid in government versus for THE SAME TYPE OF WORK in the private sector, then you find that the private sector pays more (including benefits).

Source please.

I have never heard anything but the opposite but I will leave it to you to show us "the facts"

A Senator only makes 172K?

That's peanuts.

And what would be your reference points ?

I would like to make 172K a year by myself.

What other little "bennies" do our good senators get. They certainly don't pay for travel to foriegn lands......

What is the "source" of your chart? The OP references the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Washington Post.

first POGO has its own issues. so its dueling sources.

I AM a Federal employee, trust me, we're fat.

You do know thsat the BLS like their Inflation stats do not encompass a great del that heritage and others have factored in, like retiree health coverage, job security, defined pension plans vs. 401K etc…..when you combine salaries, fringe benefits and job security, trust me we do very well, better than I did at my last corporate job, which very much surprised me too.

What level are you? Because believe me, above GS 9 you make great money, below GS 9 you make crappy money. The fed gov is very top heavy.

When I worked for the gov, I was making slightly more than $6.00 an hour and over $100 was coming out each month to pay for my health insurance. They ended the federal pensions and forced us to pay into medicaid and social security....Unless you started before the 1980's, you do not have those great pension benefits....*unless of course, the government changed things again since I left.

I am over 50, worked in the private sector till april 2009. got laid off, I got the job I am in now that June. I am not going to disclose salaries etc., lets say yes I am above 9, and in a technical feild, I have a defined pension plan and the forever free medical etc etc etc ...

the kicker, and not calculated in all those opinions becasue of the variables is this; the defined pension where in you accrue 2.5% per year of service as your calculated retirement income per year, is the ultimate end, it is BOFFO.

I had profit sharing in my private sector job, they would calculate 7% of salary bonus included and free from any contribution of mine put it in a money market for me. I get it when I retire. The key here is money market, the variables of the market can beat the shit out of you, or make you fatter in alternate years. BUT in th end, you have to be a little lucky.

Now? I contribute 2% of my salary and if I stay till retirement, I will have northward of 50% of my salary free of market variables, of straight monthly pay our for the rest of my life, OR alternatively, I can take a payout lump sum equal to 12 years of full salary rolled into a tax protected fund.

the defined pension plan by my calculus, is worth 20% of my pay per year which I bank at a rate of 5%. with NO market downturns to worry about etc.

If you're in a defined pension plan, you are gold, its that simple. And let it be said, and I will though a benefactor of same, say it, its a taxpayer ripoff.

Last edited:

Source please.

I have never heard anything but the opposite but I will leave it to you to show us "the facts"

yes, I'd like to see that too, as I explained above, I worked in exactly the same feild in my new job and worked at a very good co. before hand.

I only took a hit of 12K in starting salary, and I had been at my private sector job for 15 years, promoted several times etc.........now that I have had 2, well 3 this past October 4.5% pay increases per year ( and let me say thx mr. taxpayer) I have reached and exceeded parity with my former job in....2.4 years.

Source please.

yes, I'd like to see that too, as I explained above, I worked in exactly the same feild in my new job and worked at a very good co. before hand.

I only took a hit of 12K in starting salary, and I had been at my private sector job for 15 years, promoted several times etc.........now that I have had 2, well 3 this past October 4.5% pay increases per year ( and let me say thx mr. taxpayer) I have reached and exceeded parity with my former job in....2.4 years.

Well, I know when I worked for the Air Force at Boeing, my counterpart for the Boeing Company made 10 times what I did and didn't have to put out extra for medical. Of course, when they came in to assess my job, they wanted to raise the level but was told by my boss that if they did, I wouldn't qualify for it anymore and no one else in the AFPRO could do it.

See what happens when you don't complete a college education? You can do the same work, but you sure as heck don't get the same money.

You do know thsat the BLS like their Inflation stats do not encompass a great del that heritage and others have factored in, like retiree health coverage, job security, defined pension plans vs. 401K etc…..when you combine salaries, fringe benefits and job security, trust me we do very well, better than I did at my last corporate job, which very much surprised me too.

What level are you? Because believe me, above GS 9 you make great money, below GS 9 you make crappy money. The fed gov is very top heavy.

When I worked for the gov, I was making slightly more than $6.00 an hour and over $100 was coming out each month to pay for my health insurance. They ended the federal pensions and forced us to pay into medicaid and social security....Unless you started before the 1980's, you do not have those great pension benefits....*unless of course, the government changed things again since I left.

I am over 50, worked in the private sector till april 2009. got laid off, I got the job I am in now that June. I am not going to disclose salaries etc., lets say yes I am above 9, and in a technical feild, I have a defined pension plan and the forever free medical etc etc etc ...

the kicker, and not calculated in all those opinions becasue of the variables is this; the defined pension where in you accrue 2.5% per year of service as your calculated retirement income per year, is the ultimate end, it is BOFFO.

I had profit sharing in my private sector job, they would calculate 7% of salary bonus included and free from any contribution of mine put it in a money market for me. I get it when I retire. The key here is money market, the variables of the market can beat the shit out of you, or make you fatter in alternate years. BUT in th end, you have to be a little lucky.

Now? I contribute 2% of my salary and if I stay till retirement, I will have northward of 50% of my salary free of market variables, of straight monthly pay our for the rest of my life, OR alternatively, I can take a payout lump sum equal to 12 years of full salary rolled into a tax protected fund.

the defined pension plan by my calculus, is worth 20% of my pay per year which I bank at a rate of 5%. with NO market downturns to worry about etc.

If you're in a defined pension plan, you are gold, its that simple. And let it be said, and I will though a benefactor of same, say it, its a taxpayer ripoff.

Ae you covered by FERS?

Ae you covered by FERS?

affirmative , with a special component.

That sounds pretty good.

That sounds pretty good.

its fantastic. but, its unsustainable in its current form. See Rhode Island for one...

By MARY WILLIAMS WALSH
Published: October 22, 2011

snip-

It is not the sort of message you might expect from Ms. Raimondo, a proud daughter of Providence, a successful venture capitalist and, not least, the current general treasurer of Rhode Island. But it is a message worth hearing. The smallest state in the union, it turns out, has a very big debt problem.

After decades of drift, denial and inaction, Rhode Island’s $14.8 billion pension system is in crisis. Ten cents of every state tax dollar now goes to retired public workers. Before long, Ms. Raimondo has been cautioning in whistle-stops here and across the state, that figure will climb perilously toward 20 cents. But the scary thing is that no one really knows. The Providence Journal recently tried to count all the municipal pension plans outside the state system and stopped at 155, conceding that it might have missed some. Even the Securities and Exchange Commission is asking questions, including the big one: Are these numbers for real?

more at;
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/23/business/for-rhode-island-the-pension-crisis-is-now.html?_r=1&hpw

Regarding the so-called "duel of sources," above, the problem is not that the sources are using different facts but that they are making different statements. These two statements DO NOT mean the same thing:

1) Government employees are paid less than THEIR COUNTERPARTS in the private sector.

2) Government workers are paid more ON THE AVERAGE than private sector workers.

These statements do not conflict, and BOTH of them are true. The reason it's true is because there are no government-worker equivalents to burger flippers, temp workers, and similar low-paid private-sector employees. These employees bring down the AVERAGE private-sector pay, leaving the AVERAGE government pay package higher.

There are plenty of such workers: life guards, park workers, DMV personnel, toll booth cashier.

Did you know someone working in a toll booth doing nothing but making change earns $20/hr with full benefits?

No you don't.

Source please.

The OP already provided that.

Bunk. It only said a report disputed the Heritage Foundation. I saw no numbers.

And there have been plenty of links that dispute the OP.

Where are your numbers coming from ?

Forum List

Back