Federal Judges Order California To Reduce Prison Population By 40,000

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
A ruling by the three-judge panel who have effectively taken control of the California prison system has ordered the state to reduce the prison population by as much as 40,000 inmates within the next two years, finding the system in violation of Constitutional mandates. The Tough On Crime balloon has just popped.

The judges said that reducing prison crowding in California was the only way to change what they called an unconstitutional prison health care system that causes one unnecessary death a week. In a scathing 184-page order, the judges criticized state officials, saying they had failed to comply with previous orders to fix the health care system in the prisons and reduce crowding, and recommended remedies, including reform of the parole system.

The special three-judge panel also described a chaotic prison system where prisoners were stacked in triple bunk beds in gymnasiums, hallways and day rooms; where single guards were often forced to monitor scores of inmates at a time; and where ill inmates died for lack of treatment.

D-Day: Federal Judges Order California To Reduce Prison Population By 40,000

40 thousand in two years, lessee that cracks down to about 20 thousand a year,, that's a lot of criminals running around, hide the children.

what exactly is a non violent drug offender? and are there 40 thousand of them in California prisons?

what exactly is a non violent drug offender? and are there 40 thousand of them in California prisons?

Pot heads mostly ... they aren't stupid enough to kill or fight the cops back most of the time. But 40,000 ... no way that many of the drug offenders are non-violent.

A substantial number of drug law violators sentenced to incarceration in Bureau of Prisons custody can be classified as "low-level". Using one set of criteria which limited offenders to no current or prior violence in their records, no involvement in sophisticated criminal activity and no prior commitment, there were 16,316 Federal prisoners who could be considered low-level drug law violators. They constituted 36.1 percent of all drug law offenders in the prison system and 21.2 percent of the total sentenced Federal prison population.

this is from 1994 but it's a start.

USDOJ: An Analysis of Non-violent Drug Offenders

so no current or prior violence is allowed.

Non-violent in Cali?

if the government got out of the drug enforcement business, there wouldn't BE any violence around drugs....

and yes, there are a lot of people in jail for possession and sale...those are the people who should be released to comply with the court's directives.

or would you prefer they released child abusers?

:eusa_eh: WTF? You have never seen a crack addict without their hourly dose, have you?

Pot heads mostly ... they aren't stupid enough to kill or fight the cops back most of the time. But 40,000 ... no way that many of the drug offenders are non-violent.

yea its an adventure living here.....the most inept legislature anywhere.....have been since last century....

yea its an adventure living here.....the most inept legislature anywhere.....have been since last century....

The short times I was there I saw more criminals on the streets than anywhere else to, and not the little shop lifters and jay walkers. Though that was the LA area, but still. If that's what they have on the streets, I would hate to visit their prisons. In Seattle we get about one shooting a month, that's it!

The short times I was there I saw more criminals on the streets than anywhere else to, and not the little shop lifters and jay walkers. Though that was the LA area, but still. If that's what they have on the streets, I would hate to visit their prisons. In Seattle we get about one shooting a month, that's it!

well im fortunate to live in the County i live in...like night and day compared to most of LA

Forum List

Back