Federal judge rules Trump can't block people on Twitter because it violates their First Amendment ri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
haha.jpg

Federal judge rules Trump can't block people on Twitter because it violates their First Amendment rights

A federal judge on Wednesday ruled President Donald Trump can't block people on Twitter, because it violates their First Amendment rights.

In her decision, US District Judge Naomi Reice Buchwald wrote, "This case requires us to consider whether a public official may, consistent with the First Amendment, 'block' a person from his Twitter account in response to the political views that person has expressed, and whether the analysis differs because that public official is the President of the United States. The answer to both questions is no."

haha.jpg

Federal judge rules Trump can't block people on Twitter because it violates their First Amendment rights

A federal judge on Wednesday ruled President Donald Trump can't block people on Twitter, because it violates their First Amendment rights.

In her decision, US District Judge Naomi Reice Buchwald wrote, "This case requires us to consider whether a public official may, consistent with the First Amendment, 'block' a person from his Twitter account in response to the political views that person has expressed, and whether the analysis differs because that public official is the President of the United States. The answer to both questions is no."
If held up, I’m going to spend my free time tweeting at Trump to go kill himself.

haha.jpg

If held up, I’m going to spend my free time tweeting at Trump to go kill himself.

I think you should. Let us know how that works out for you.

haha.jpg

I think you should. Let us know how that works out for you.
It will be a yuge twitter movement

haha.jpg

Enjoy prison.

Beware the law of unintended consequences.

WHOOPS! Judge's ruling on Donald Trump's Twitter account could open up a YUGE can of worms

Twitter

1. If this stands, it may be a much bigger problem for Twitter than for Trump. Seems the judge just deemed Twitter a public utility

2 replies10 retweets42 likes
KiTA‏ @eldarmark
Replying to @Kevin_D_Jones @Moj_kobe
Correction: Any social media that a government employee or agency uses. Facebook. Instagram. Imgur. Reddit. None of them can moderate their sites if it's an American user.

haha.jpg

Oh my, president cry baby is not going to handle this well.

WHOOPS! Judge's ruling on Donald Trump's Twitter account could open up a YUGE can of worms

Twitter

1. If this stands, it may be a much bigger problem for Twitter than for Trump. Seems the judge just deemed Twitter a public utility

KiTA‏ @eldarmark
Correction: Any social media that a government employee or agency uses. Facebook. Instagram. Imgur. Reddit. None of them can moderate their sites if it's an American user.

The ruling was not as much about Twitter as it was the nature of the tweets themselves. They are Official White House statements and thus have to be available to everyone

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Does blocking someone prevent them from seeing your tweets or just you from seeing what they tweet?

It's good to see an federal judge that cares about our constitution and protecting our rights!

Too bad the fake liberterian republicans that vote for Trump that bitch about the constitution all day long really don't give a damn about it.

Twitter

KiTA‏ @eldarmark

The ruling was not as much about Twitter as it was the nature of the tweets themselves. They are Official White House statements and thus have to be available to everyone

So how can it be available to everyone if twitter is allowed to ban certain people?

Twitter

KiTA‏ @eldarmark

So how can it be available to everyone if twitter is allowed to ban certain people?

Good question.

Twitter

KiTA‏ @eldarmark

Good question.

I really think the Judge didn't think this through.

Some on the right are already pestering progressive politicians that had them blocked to unblock them.

And who is going to force Trump's IT people to unblock everyone? Can Twitter override that? Will Twitter now override that for all public figures?

That will get overturned. That judge is a moron.

I doubt it. Trump's tweets are official statements from the White House, to block people from seeing them would be denying those people their equal protection.

Trump's tweets should be taken as official statements, the White House says

DOJ says Trump's tweets are official presidential statements
Blocks don’t work like that unless there’s a twitter feature I don’t know about. The block means Trump doesn’t see what the guy writes. The guy can still see his tweets. The right to free speech doesn’t mean a right to make someone listen to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back