Federal agents hunt for guns one house at a time

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
Federal agents hunt for guns one house at a time | Chronicle | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

In front of a run-down shack in north Houston, federal agents step from a government sedan into 102-degree heat and face a critical question: How can the woman living here buy four high-end handguns in one day?

The house is worth $35,000. A screen dangles by a wall-unit air conditioner. Porch swing slats are smashed, the smattering of grass is flattened by cars and burned yellow by sun.

“I’ll do the talking on this one,” agent Tim Sloan, of South Carolina, told partner Brian Tumiel, of New York.

Success on the front lines of a government blitz on gunrunners supplying Mexican drug cartels with Houston weaponry hinges on logging heavy miles and knocking on countless doors. Dozens of agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives — sent here from around the country — are needed to follow what ATF acting director Kenneth Melson described as a “massive number of investigative leads.”

All told, Mexican officials in 2008 asked federal agents to trace the origins of more than 7,500 firearms recovered at crime scenes in Mexico. Most of them were traced back to Texas, California and Arizona.

Among other things, the agents are combing neighborhoods and asking people about suspicious purchases as well as seeking explanations as to how their guns ended up used in murders, kidnappings and other crimes in Mexico.

“Ever turning up the heat on cartels, our law enforcement and military partners in the government of Mexico have been working more closely with the ATF by sharing information and intelligence,” Melson said Tuesday during a firearms-trafficking summit in New Mexico.

Firearms dealers visited
The ATF recently dispatched 100 veteran agents to its Houston division, which reaches to the border.

The mission is especially challenging because, officials say, that while Houston is the number one point of origin for weapons traced back to the United States from Mexico, the government can’t compile databases on gun owners under federal law.

Agents instead review firearms dealers’ records in person.

People who are legally in the United States and have clean criminal records, but are facing economic problems are often recruited by traffickers to buy weapons on their behalf in order to shield themselves from scrutiny.

Knocks at the door of the shack that looked to be the definition of hard times went unanswered.

“I am out of here,” Sloan said a few moments later, as a pit bull lazily sauntered from the back yard. “I don’t like pit bulls walking up behind me.”

---------------------------

house to house searches for guns....to stop the illegal gun trade

Federal Agents Conducting House by House Gun Checks

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATF) agents are in the midst of fanning out across Texas in order to conduct house by house investigations into what the agency deems numerous “suspicious” firearms transactions and as a means to combat “narco-terrorism” along the U.S. /Mexican border.

I can't confirm this report from any other source as to any kind of "fanning out" or random type searches. If the aim is to combat narcotics violence and illegal weapons in the hands of drug cartels operating in the US, I see no problem. Go get 'em.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATF) agents are in the midst of fanning out across Texas in order to conduct house by house investigations into what the agency deems numerous “suspicious” firearms transactions and as a means to combat “narco-terrorism” along the U.S. /Mexican border.

Without a warrant they can only enter and search a home with the permission of the owner or occupant.

Without a warrant they can only enter and search a home with the permission of the owner or occupant.

If it's drug related, you can thank your friendly neighborhood republican for making that a terrorist activity. No warrant needed. Patriot Act helped out a lot with this stuff too.

they are searching for suspected gun runners....from mexico or into mexico....funny yall are all over them doing something about illegals till they do it

Can we get any confirmation of this from a real news source?

I can't find anything. I would find it difficult to believe there is a "fanning out" of agents for "door to door" searches. It would be all over the news.

I'd guess a few gun nuts caught the ATFs attention and they went to see why a private citizen, living on the Mexican border, with probably some minor history of drugs, was buying assault weapons by the van load.

It would be a real travesty to step on such a persons rights.

If it's drug related, you can thank your friendly neighborhood republican for making that a terrorist activity. No warrant needed. Patriot Act helped out a lot with this stuff too.

so no democrats voted for the patriot act?

i'll alert the media.
:lol:

The lamest so far came from a police officer: He said he bought a few military-style rifles, left them in his car and — on the same night — forgot to lock a door. He couldn’t explain why he didn’t file a police report or why he visited Mexico the day after the alleged theft

From the link above.

Such a shame these honest American gun owners are being harassed!

Wrong again, one must have evidence of activity to search. The Patriot act, BY the way, was approved by the Democrats as well not just Republicans, ut then that inconvenient fact doesn't help your partisan bullshit does it?

Wait a minute, I'm confused here.

Some of you are upset the BATF are looking for drug runners/terrorists with illegal guns?

WTH? :confused:

Wait a minute, I'm confused here.

Some of you are upset the BATF are looking for drug runners/terrorists with illegal guns?

WTH? :confused:

If they are conducting searches without probable cause I have a BIG problem with it. The Government has no authority to violate the 4th Amendment at will when ever it feels like it.

Wrong again, one must have evidence of activity to search. The Patriot act, BY the way, was approved by the Democrats as well not just Republicans, ut then that inconvenient fact doesn't help your partisan bullshit does it?

So we've moved from needing a search warrant to "evidence of activity".

Where you retreating next? They had a window to shoot out of?

So we've moved from needing a search warrant to "evidence of activity".

Where you retreating next? They had a window to shoot out of?

It is called probable cause dumb ass. And they need such to conduct any search, further if they conduct searches with out a warrant or with out permission no court will uphold the search.

Forum List

Back