Federa Legislation To Legalize Pot?

Orange_Juice

Jul 24, 2008
Rep. Barney Frank Offers Legislation to Legalize Marijuana - US News and World Report

The federal government should stop interfering with people's "leisure" activities, including using marijuana, Rep. Barney Frank said Wednesday, unveiling a bill to remove federal criminal penalties for possessing the drug. "I don't think that it is the government's business to tell you how to spend your leisure time," Frank said, according to the Washington-based Examiner. "There are a lot of things people do that I don't do, and I think that they should be free to do them. There are things that I do that other people don't do, and I ought to be free to do them." While Frank is a senior Democrat and chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, he conceded that there is little chance of the bill becoming law anytime soon.

this should create interesting discussion.

me, i think pot should be legal

Last edited:
That should just be the beginning. Banning things merely creates a black market and gangsters to run it. We should listen to Chief Justice Marshall when he said "the power to tax is the the power to destroy."

A friend of mine once offered the following wisdom regarding pot laws:

"I think they should pass a law that everyone has to take one hit a day. Because if everyone else took one hit, then I'd only need one hit too!"

Definatley, the money wasted on fighting a Weed is reason enough for me to Legalize/decriminalize it, and the money that could be made taxing and regulating it is another good reason. Besides It is far less destructive than booze!!

Not a smoker my self, because my job will not allow me to be, but If I could I would. If only to drink less :)

I think most Americans (conservative and liberal's alike) understand that the war on weed is a particualrly good example of a stupid and evil policy.

But hey folks, the continued persecution of people who smoke is one hell of a revenue source for the criminal justice system, isn't it?

THAT, rather than any safeguarding of the commonweal, is what this perversion of justice, is all about.

Forum List

Back