FEC Hits ACT-Soros Backed PAC

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Soros-linked group hit with huge fine
By: Kenneth P. Vogel
August 29, 2007 02:17 PM EST

The Federal Election Commission has fined one of the last cycle’s biggest liberal political action committees $775,000 for using unregulated soft money to boost John Kerry and other Democratic candidates during the 2004 elections.

America Coming Together (ACT) raised $137 million for its get-out-the-vote effort in 2004, but the FEC found most of that cash came through contributions that violated federal limits.

The group’s big donors included George Soros, Progressive Corp. chairman Peter Lewis and the Service Employees International Union.

The settlement, which the FEC approved unanimously, is the third largest enforcement penalty in the commission’s 33-year history.

ACT, which ceased operations in 2005, was formed in late 2003 and rapidly deployed an enormous organization to do the retail-level grunt work of politics.

It opened more than 90 offices in 17 states from which it mobilized an army of more than 25,000 paid canvassers and volunteers to knock on doors, stuff envelopes and make phone calls urging voters to defeat President Bush and support Democratic or “progressive” candidates including Kerry, the Democratic presidential candidate...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0807/5555.html

Is it necessarily Bush using the FEC as an arm of the GOP is, in fact, these charges are true?

I'm so very shocked that Bush would use his FEC as just another arm of the GOP... shocking.

Amazing....6 Commissioners...3 Dems and 3 Repubs and suddenly its its Bush's FEC...? Guess those 3 Dems made a "right" trun somewhere along the way...:rofl: :rofl:

What isn't true? She is a Lawyer and she IS a Liberal.... Using your convoluted logic , since I never actually said "all" in the sentence why do you assume I meant "all"?

Well, perhaps it was the "par for the course" comment. However, my comment wasn't really directed at you. Your post doesn't bother, or even particularly interest me.

I just know that Shogun feels very strongly about this issue, so I am just waiting for the fireworks to begin. I will just watch from the sidelines.

Well, perhaps it was the "par for the course" comment. However, my comment wasn't really directed at you. Your post doesn't bother, or even particularly interest me.

I just know that Shogun feels very strongly about this issue, so I am just waiting for the fireworks to begin. I will just watch from the sidelines.

Then kindly keep me out of your little vendettes. You were all hot to trot because iI am appalled that you and other liberals can not ever muster enough balls to call one of your own to task, and then you pull this.....

Then kindly keep me out of your little vendettes. You were all hot to trot because iI am appalled that you and other liberals can not ever muster enough balls to call one of your own to task, and then you pull this.....

No vendetta. I find Shogun amusing. I just happen to know he feels strongly about this issue.

As for the rest of your post, I still don't find you bothersome, nor interesting, so I will pass your silly entreaty for comment.

Amazing....6 Commissioners...3 Dems and 3 Repubs and suddenly its its Bush's FEC...? Guess those 3 Dems made a "right" trun somewhere along the way...:rofl: :rofl:

see what happens?
mt1131047212.jpg

who is giving whome a pass?

6 Commissioners...3 Dems and 3 Repubs and suddenly its its Bush's FEC

does this strike you as another arm of the GOP?

Does claiming as much help or hurt the potential of RGS generalizing on liberals?

in fact, why the hell would he not be right if IM the only one with a foot in the left side calling shennanigans?

From a Lawyer, I find this comment absurd. But par for the course from a LIBERAL.

What is absurd about acknowledging that the FEC commissioners are Bush's appointees and picked to do his bidding?

And what does knowing that, which apparently you didn't, have to do with my law degree? You really have become a one-note... boring and adding little. (Which explains why I rarely respond to you...except once in a while for my own amusement).

What if silly accusations were less important than wheather or not, in fact, there were violations?

Do we only care about clean elections if we are cleaning up the other guy?

What is absurd about acknowledging that the FEC commissioners are Bush's appointees and picked to do his bidding?

And what does knowing that, which apparently you didn't, have to do with my law degree? You really have become a one-note... boring and adding little. (Which explains why I rarely respond to you...except once in a while for my own amusement).

So Shogun is a liar? There are not 3 Democrats out of 6 Board members? Further are these appointees vetted by the Congress? Or are they just allowed to be picked by the President with out vetting?

If they are vetted, remind me of the stink when the 3 democrats that are really Bush stooges were nominated and then appointed.

Also being a Lawyer, wouldn't that require you to know that this Board has to provide information and justification for its rulings? Further excluding the claim they are just a rubber stamp for Bush.

Rather than make a statement that they rubber stamped it, provide us with a detailed listing of how the reasons and regulations cited were not as they were ruled to be. I mean your a lawyer, it shouldn't be to hard to pick apart a rubber stamped ruling by a bunch of political hacks doing the nefarious buisness of the Chimpster, can it?

George Soros and Peter Lewis together on anything is trouble.

So there's a $775, 000 fine? They raised $137 million. At least this group - ACT - is gone, but another 527 will just spring up.

I first saw this here: NYT

This is just a settlement:

ACT raised approximately $137 million in connection with the 2004 elections - approximately $33.5 million in federal funds and approximately $103.5 million in non-federal funds. ACT’s activities focused on voter contact, voter registration and get-out-the-vote activities in 17 states. The FEC concluded that approximately $70 million in disbursements characterized by ACT as “administrative expenses” for door-to-door canvassing, direct mail and telemarketing were actually attributable to clearly identified federal candidates and were required either to be paid with 100% federal funds or to be allocated between federal and non-federal candidates based on the time or space devoted to the candidates.

More fall-out from McCain-Feingold, worst piece of legislation of the century.

So Shogun is a liar? There are not 3 Democrats out of 6 Board members? Further are these appointees vetted by the Congress? Or are they just allowed to be picked by the President with out vetting?

If they are vetted, remind me of the stink when the 3 democrats that are really Bush stooges were nominated and then appointed.

Also being a Lawyer, wouldn't that require you to know that this Board has to provide information and justification for its rulings? Further excluding the claim they are just a rubber stamp for Bush.

Rather than make a statement that they rubber stamped it, provide us with a detailed listing of how the reasons and regulations cited were not as they were ruled to be. I mean your a lawyer, it shouldn't be to hard to pick apart a rubber stamped ruling by a bunch of political hacks doing the nefarious buisness of the Chimpster, can it?

Ahh yes faced with a request to back up a foolish statement, what happens? Why the poster just quits posting in the thread of course.

George Soros and Peter Lewis together on anything is trouble.

So there's a $775, 000 fine? They raised $137 million. At least this group - ACT - is gone, but another 527 will just spring up.

I first saw this here: NYT

This is just a settlement:

More fall-out from McCain-Feingold, worst piece of legislation of the century.

I could think of worse legislation. Most of them include the word Amnesty though.

New Topics

Forum List

Back