February Is Black History Month

You served, so you know racist are just here, they are everywhere.

Do you think a month of specails on TV will change anyone?

Would seeing a sign like this mean anything to you;

******* and chinks apply around back.
NINA!

the NINA means; No Irish Need Apply

Imagine that. My Great Aunt Nina could.

I always wondered about this, if a store said No Irish need apply and I showed up and said I was Welsh, how would they find out?

This may come as a shock
but

We look different
That and the accents, and the names gave us away. Plus if you were caught lying, things went badly for you.

Was this all over the country or just some parts?

February is Black History Month.

October is Italian American month.

March is Irish American month.

May is Jewish American month.

November is Native American month.

May is Asian-Pacific American month.

October is Polish American month.

October is German American month, October 6 is German American day.

June is National African American music appreciation month.

Here's a link for all different things that have their own 'month'.

List of commemorative months - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't see a White American month.

October is Italian American month.

it is?

I heard they do celebrations for that in the Northeast especially the Jersey area.

columbus_day.jpg

heritagemonth_banner_2009.jpg

October is Italian Heritage Month

Most of the ethnic festivals here are in the warm months.

No public school in American teaches enough about the history of Blacks in America, or Native Americans, or others, because for the most part, these were poor people. We tend to focus our attention on the lives of the wealthy and powerful. We also have a desire to whitewash our past, and downplay the instances of immorality this nation has engaged in.

Ever met a kid who knew the history of the coal miners' union movement in West Virginia from school? Who knew where the Underground Railroad stations actually were? Who knew -- in detail -- what The Trail Of Tears was?

T'aint asking too much, to teach this curriculum once every school year for a month.

You must have went to a school for retards because the school I was in, taught all of what you just mentioned. With the exception of exact locations for the underground railroad stations and it's probably because there was no single "station". The fact is the "stations" you speak of were in fact homes and businesses where fugitives would eat and rest. A lot of terminology used in this system derived from railroad terminology but that's where the similarities end.

Yes, I know, Lonestar. There are historical sites in Ohio and New York, many along the Erie Canal, that celebrate this history.

cozad-bates-marker-2.jpg

Congrats on your superior education. But lemme assure you, not every child is so fortunate.

I always wondered about this, if a store said No Irish need apply and I showed up and said I was Welsh, how would they find out?

This may come as a shock
but

We look different
That and the accents, and the names gave us away. Plus if you were caught lying, things went badly for you.

As far as the railroads went.

remeber that scene from "Blazzing Sadles" where they were trying to talk the towns folk to let the rail workers live there, and the mayor said "We'll take the ******* and chinks, but the Irish gotta go" and the ******* and chinks told them "NO" in unison?

That's not some bs comedy scene, it was very real, we used to be that tight.

This may come as a shock
but

We look different

remeber that scene from "Blazzing Sadles" where they were trying to talk the towns folk to let the rail workers live there, and the mayor said "We'll take the ******* and chinks, but the Irish gotta go" and the ******* and chinks told them "NO" in unison?

Wow, why was there so much hate for the Irish? were they not "white" enough or something?

Wow, why was there so much hate for the Irish? were they not "white" enough or something?

We didn't speak English
Were Catholic
Had lots of children

those are truths
here's the bs

always on welfare
lazy
drunk all the time
fight all the time
the women sold themselves
ect, ect (any of that sound familiar?)

We didn't speak English
Were Catholic
Had lots of children

those are truths
here's the bs

always on welfare
lazy
drunk all the time
fight all the time

Wow people say that alot about Blacks and Mexicans now, I'm Half Irish so I guess I'm totally fucked.:eek:

No public school in American teaches enough about the history of Blacks in America, or Native Americans, or others, because for the most part, these were poor people. We tend to focus our attention on the lives of the wealthy and powerful. We also have a desire to whitewash our past, and downplay the instances of immorality this nation has engaged in.

Ever met a kid who knew the history of the coal miners' union movement in West Virginia from school? Who knew where the Underground Railroad stations actually were? Who knew -- in detail -- what The Trail Of Tears was?

T'aint asking too much, to teach this curriculum once every school year for a month.

You must have went to a school for retards because the school I was in, taught all of what you just mentioned. With the exception of exact locations for the underground railroad stations and it's probably because there was no single "station". The fact is the "stations" you speak of were in fact homes and businesses where fugitives would eat and rest. A lot of terminology used in this system derived from railroad terminology but that's where the similarities end.

Yes, I know, Lonestar. There are historical sites in Ohio and New York, many along the Erie Canal, that celebrate this history.

cozad-bates-marker-2.jpg

Congrats on your superior education. But lemme assure you, not every child is so fortunate.

Every child that's been educated in Texas' public schools knows this.

:clap2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2d2SzRZvsQ&feature=related

:clap2:

"Black history is American history"

Amen Brother!!!

He couldnt have said it any better.

Totally awesome post. I came on here to quote M. Freeman on this and you already had it, awesome! This was so very wise of M. Freeman.

Not to downplay the suffering anyone has gone through at all. However, to stop "racism" on all counts, these words of M. Freeman are brilliant.

From Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Freeman
"Freeman has publicly criticized the celebration of Black History Month and does not participate in any related events, saying, "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."[14] He says the only way to end racism is to stop talking about it, and he notes that there is no "white history month".[15] Freeman once said on an interview with 60 Minutes' Mike Wallace: "I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man.""

Last edited:

We didn't speak English
Were Catholic
Had lots of children

those are truths
here's the bs

always on welfare
lazy
drunk all the time
fight all the time

Wow people say that alot about Blacks and Mexicans now, I'm Half Irish so I guess I'm totally fucked.:eek:

You're Black Irish like me. :laugh2:

well,,, sorta

I am Black Irish; I have [had] black hair and I get dark in the summer time. Myth has it that we welcomed what most people think of when they think Irish to Ireland. We were there first, so to speak.

As long as you don't carry the Irish curse, you should be all good.

We didn't speak English
Were Catholic
Had lots of children

those are truths
here's the bs

always on welfare
lazy
drunk all the time
fight all the time

well,,, sorta

I am Black Irish; I have [had] black hair and I get dark in the summer time. Myth has it that we welcomed what most people think of when they think Irish to Ireland. We were there first, so to speak.

I have been told I drink like an Irishman, and dance like one.:eek:

It's funny.

Blacks get a month for history, then we get to hear people bitch that it's the shortest month
Puerto Ricans get a day.
The Irish get St Paddies days.
The Chinese get jack squat
the Indians can go fuck themselves
And everyone else is outta luck

If you wanna learn black history, ask a black person. I spent 2 hours off the clock talking with a Tuskeegee Airman. Wanna learn about Irish history in America? PM me. Wanna offer me a day, week or month to cover that history? Piss off, I learned what I need to know from my family and by reading these things called 'books', they keep these 'books' in things called 'Libraries'.

Don't be ridiculous, they get 'Chinese fire drills' on a daily basis anywhere there are young kids driving around. :D

well,,, sorta

I have been told I drink like an Irishman, and dance like one.:eek:

Next time someone says that to you;

Down your beer

yell Póg Mo Thóin biatch!

Crack them over the head with the empty mug and start a bar fight.

Unless you know how to River Dance.

Sure but the majority are white.

But some are black, yes?

Aside from that they are celebrating their ethnicity, rather than race.

There isn't a white american history month, specifically celebrating white accomplishments and such, is there?

The entire fucking school year celebrates white America, Zoom-boing. Did you want to gild the lily?

Give us ONE example of this, please. Nothing white is "celebrated" anywhere, anytime. It's only ever bashed as "hate" and "intolerance." Everything non-white is celebrated: it's virtuous, lovely, wonderful, ooey-gooey, you name it.

I'm curious what you're basing your "knowledge" of what goes on it school on.

Forum List

Back