Feb 25 - Is Anybody Watching the Bipartisan "Conversation" today?

One thing that seems crystal clear to me so far, is that the President and the Democrats are absolutely NOT interested in what the Republicans want in healthcare reform. So far they have only complained that the Republicans are expressing their views or that what the Republicans want is 'already in the bill'. Of course they don't say HOW it is in the bill, so there is room for some skepticism there.

That's my impression.

What's yours?

My impression is that the Republicans came simply to obstruct.

Time to put the public option back in a reconciliation bill, and ram it through on a majority vote.

Then do the same for job, global warming, and the other problems that need addressed. Since the Republicans choose to be irrelevant obstructionists, let's keep them that way.

Regardless if the American people want this shit or not, clown ......

One thing that seems crystal clear to me so far, is that the President and the Democrats are absolutely NOT interested in what the Republicans want in healthcare reform. So far they have only complained that the Republicans are expressing their views or that what the Republicans want is 'already in the bill'. Of course they don't say HOW it is in the bill, so there is room for some skepticism there.

That's my impression.

What's yours?

My impression is the Republicans do not want insurance reform, though they say they do. My impression is that the Rebublicans support the status quo; they're there representing the insurance industry and not the American citizens, though they say they do. My impression is that John McCain is so worried about his challenge from the right, he puts John McCain first, and the American people a distant second. My impression is Eric Cantor is all form and no substance, my impression is John Boehner is even dumber than I thought and my impression is the Republican agenda is to kill the health care bill, now and forever.

Sadly, it's clear that Cantor knows more about this bill than Obama and the democrats ........:eusa_whistle:

That's my impression.

What's yours?

My impression is the Republicans do not want insurance reform, though they say they do. My impression is that the Rebublicans support the status quo; they're there representing the insurance industry and not the American citizens, though they say they do. My impression is that John McCain is so worried about his challenge from the right, he puts John McCain first, and the American people a distant second. My impression is Eric Cantor is all form and no substance, my impression is John Boehner is even dumber than I thought and my impression is the Republican agenda is to kill the health care bill, now and forever.

Sadly, it's clear that Cantor knows more about this bill than Obama and the democrats ........:eusa_whistle:

It's becoming clear the republicans that came know more both about the bill as written, and about the CBO cost estimate. Obama is making a fool of himself by the fact that he seems to be lacking in specifics, and as always speaks in generalities. That is not working at this meeting.:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Obama will come out and say the Republican's and The dems agree, and lie...then push it forward through reconciliation.

That's my impression.

What's yours?

*totes* agree! That often repeated remark, "that's already in the bill" is just designed to make the more naive viewers think "Oh! OK...Great! "

Love that quote by Thomas Sowell. Have used it before on another site. Am also reading two of his books. What a great mind and thinker. :)

I have been watching it all, and my opinion is that Obama and the other democrats have been hammered by specifics, while they tried to present generalities.

Of course, both sides will claim "victory".

While victory is not clear, the American people are the losers.

We really really need better leaders.

I didn't see that there was anything said on either side to change anyone's opinion on how the feel.

I found that there were better debates on this board in the subject of healthcare, and I find this concerning. I mean....these people are in charge of running our country.

That's my impression.

What's yours?

Like I said, I don't think any opinions were changed at all with this "debate".

I agree meister, this was just theater, nothing more.

I really think this was done to provide cover for the democrats to say they tried and have to accept less(or nothing) so they have a chance in the upcoming elections. I also think the republicans wanted to provide credit for killing (or scaling back) the Hc bill.

Either way, all theater

That's my impression.

What's yours?

Rep. Cantor cares about one thing, and one thing only: what is best for Eric Cantor.

Rep. Cantor cares about one thing, and one thing only: what is best for Eric Cantor.

And that makes him different from Obama in what way, fool ? .....

One thing i don't see is Cantor asking people in his own party to commit political suicide to secure HIS legacy ........:eusa_whistle:

I agree meister, this was just theater, nothing more.

I really think this was done to provide cover for the democrats to say they tried and have to accept less(or nothing) so they have a chance in the upcoming elections. I also think the republicans wanted to provide credit for killing (or scaling back) the Hc bill.

Either way, all theater

Of course it was all theater, all of the players played the role assigned & each had learned their lines in the days before and were well rehearsed. Even the props were well placed. I enjoyed Obama calling Cantor on the tome placed so obviously front and center.

That's my impression.

What's yours?

And wasn't Cantor the one who told them that the CBO can only score the numbers that are furnished to them? And the numbers furnished to them were all smoke and mirrors?

I am going to be furious and call for heads to roll if the Republicans don't hold firm in resisting this turkey. If the Democrats throw them a minor bone and the Republicans use that as an excuse to vote for the whole thing, I hope every dang one of them is voted out in November.

I believe the American people do want healthcare reform in ways that will be real reform. About 30-40% are willing to trust what the Democrats are telling them the bill will do for them. By any poll you look at, more than 50% are not willing to trust what the Democrats are telling them the bill will do for them.

Any politician who would ignore numbers like that isn't smart enough to be in Washington.

From Erick Erickson's (Redstate) update this morning:

Excerpt
There are many reasons the Republican Party is often referred to as the Stupid Party. Many Republicans thought that after the President overshadowed the GOP at their Baltimore retreat last month, going to Blair House yesterday would just be another PR disaster.

It was anything but.

The GOP won the day so convincingly that even the traditional media had to praise the party for talking issues.

Contrast that with Barack Obama who scowled, berated, lied, and harassed the attendees — not to mention filibustered them.

In the most ironic moment of the day, Barack Obama lectured Virginia Congressman Eric Cantor on having the Democrats’ 2,700+ page health care bill on his desk at the meeting. Obama called it a “prop.” At the same time, Democrats were in the newspapers admitting that, in effect, Barack Obama was using the GOP as a prop in a vain effort to show bipartisanship on health care.

There is bipartisanship on health care. There is bipartisan opposition to it. The Democrats must realize today that they would get nothing out of the meeting. They will now try to force health care deform through Congress on a majority vote in each house. . . .

So, I'm somehwat encouraged. I still think the Republicans should have told the President that the people had spoken, the healthcare bill was dead and buried, and unless he was ready to start over with a clean sheet of paper and a true bipartisan effort, thanks but no thanks to any kind of summit. By attending, they kept the damned thing alive.

But since they opted to attend, I am glad that Erick, whose perceptions have proved to be pretty accurate, sees a positive result.

Forum List

Back