feast or famine. chasing the money or raising the kids and staying home which would you choose?

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Just curious we hired a new maintenance guy.. He is 35 a traveling pipe welder..
He showed me his last pay stub today $3,100 bucks $55 bucks an hour and he quit to work for $28 bucks an hour

Did he make the right decision?

Discuss

I left my career to raise our children....best descion we've ever made and I've never regretted it

images

Having to supply your own tools, travel costs (supplying own vehicle and gas), food, and a place to sleep.

$100 a day minimum hotel
$20 a day minimum food
$5 a day minimum travel
$10 a day minimum tool replacement
------------------------------------
$135 a day minimal out of pocket costs

$55hr - $28hr = $17hr difference

$17hr X 8hr day = $136 a day difference

Most likely he did.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Last edited:
Not enough information. I've seen guys quit wonderful jobs because they didn't want to play child support. And if he quit because he was self employed an unable to make it, that's another issue altogether. And what do you mean "he quit to work for 28 an hour"? Why? How do we know if he made the right decision when you don't give any information?

Maybe th $55/hr job was intermittent (and as DE posted, costly out of pocket). Maybe Maint job pays more health insurance and 40 hous steady?

Give us details

My welder friend says most guys have to leave pipeline work cause they can't pass the welding tests or they can't pass the drug test or a combination of the two. Suspect this is not a black and white situation. People who make big checks like that, just like in fishing are more prone to spending it on the wrong things most especially if they are single.

Just curious we hired a new maintenance guy.. He is 35 a traveling pipe welder..
He showed me his last pay stub today $3,100 bucks $55 bucks an hour and he quit to work for $28 bucks an hour

Did he make the right decision?

Discuss
Might have welding CAN destroy the eyes and is harmful to the lungs. And raising your kids? Priceless.

Forum List

Back