Fear Of Religion

You had to go out of your way to deny that you fear religion when no one claimed you did. I think you protest too much.

What is scary is the length people are willing to go to deprive religious people of their rights and disenfranchise them.

You have the absolute right, guaranteed by the First Amendment to practice your religion freely from congressional interference. However, that absolute right does not provide you the right to force you beliefs on others, or to engage in religious rituals which may offend or endanger the public.

I know of no examples wherein a person has been disenfranchised - I suppose you mean denied the right to vote - because of their religious choice. If you have evidence of such activities post them, if not don't make stuff up.

Walk around all you want with a sandwich board warning the End is Near; but don't block the sidewalk or assault those who belief otherwise (or think you're nuts).

Last edited:
Now...Now...kids... Let's not get this moved to a foodfight forum! :lol:

I'm sorry Sky Dancerer... I understand that you are gay.. There is nothing wrong with that on any level... You are proud and rightly so.

HouseGimp is a faggot. He is not proud of his homosexuality and does not represent his homosexuality well on any level. I have to side with High Gravity on this.. he deserves any and all insults that come his way. Choosing to align yourself with him based solely on sexual orientation is unfortunate. He does not deserve your support.

I understand that men and boys like to use anti-gay slurs. I'm sorry, but to me, it's the equivalent of callling a black person, (especially someone you don't like), a "******".

I have no idea who "Housegimp" is. I am not posting this to support him. I point out how offensive that slur is to me. I don't like any racial slurs or anti-gay slurs.

I realize you don't understand that, and it's not going to stop you, but I have to be heard on it.

I work right next to a friend of mine who's gay here at work and he uses the term faggot, some are sensitive about it and others aren't.

To me words are words, I wish we lived in a far LESS sensitive society when it came to words.

Now...Now...kids... Let's not get this moved to a foodfight forum! :lol:

I'm sorry Sky Dancerer... I understand that you are gay.. There is nothing wrong with that on any level... You are proud and rightly so.

HouseGimp is a faggot. He is not proud of his homosexuality and does not represent his homosexuality well on any level. I have to side with High Gravity on this.. he deserves any and all insults that come his way. Choosing to align yourself with him based solely on sexual orientation is unfortunate. He does not deserve your support.

I understand that men and boys like to use anti-gay slurs. I'm sorry, but to me, it's the equivalent of callling a black person, (especially someone you don't like), a "******".

I have no idea who "Housegimp" is. I am not posting this to support him. I point out how offensive that slur is to me. I don't like any racial slurs or anti-gay slurs.

I realize you don't understand that, and it's not going to stop you, but I have to be heard on it.

I try to stay away from sweeping generalities.... so do most of my real world friends...some of which have called me "******"(it always cracks me up)...can't say anybody that knows me personally has called me a faggot.

I appreciate you want and need to be heard on this off topic. I wouldn't have brought it up except that it was HouseGimps comment associated with this thread on a neg rep. You are welcome to correct me as you see the need on any topic I start or reply to. You already know that I respect your sensitivity. I just won't Sky Dance around it as that is not my style.

Maybe part of what you do not get about me and maybe other straight people(guys that is) is that we are competitive and unforgiving of bad form ourselves.

I don't hate HouseGimp because he is gay. He disgusts me on many levels and his closet homosexuality is just an insignificant part of it. One thing I will not do is pull punches with those that pretend to know better. I will always try to bend over backwards to accommodate the young, women, the disadvantaged and those who's lack of strength is no fault of their own. Those that make it a point to willfully ignorantly be my adversary I make a point to crush if it doesn't take up more energy than their destruction is worth. Ya ....It's a juvenile guy thing..I get it..I'm desperately trying to cling to what is left of my youth...:lol:

Fair enough. I love this post.

I hate what Islam is doing to women and gays in the Middle East and in Asia.

I have no problem with American Muslims, they must obey OUR laws, not Shariah.

Speaking as a believer or some kind or the other, I am as fearful of a theocratically dominated society as the most hardened atheist on this or any other board on the net.

Far too many of my fellow believers are really closet totalitarians who imagine that their GOD gives then the right to screw anybody who gets in their holier than thou crosshairs.

Last edited:
You had to go out of your way to deny that you fear religion when no one claimed you did. I think you protest too much.

What is scary is the length people are willing to go to deprive religious people of their rights and disenfranchise them.

You have the absolute right, guaranteed by the First Amendment to practice your religion freely from congressional interference. However, that absolute right does not provide you the right to force you beliefs on others, or to engage in religious rituals which may offend or endanger the public.

I know of no examples wherein a person has been disenfranchised - I suppose you mean denied the right to vote - because of their religious choice. If you have evidence of such activities post them, if not don't make stuff up.

Walk around all you want with a sandwich board warning the End is Near; but don't block the sidewalk or assault those who belief otherwise (or think you're nuts).

You had me until the part about "that 'absolute' right does not provide you the right to engage in religious rituals which may OFFEND the public."

Are you under the impression that ANYONE has a "right" to not feel offended by whatever they choose to feel offended by? You don't have a right to not feel offended by the religious beliefs or practices of someone else. Because FEELINGS don't have rights -and among the reasons why they don't is the fact that FEELINGS are so often irrational and unfounded and constantly changing. And most importantly what you feel offended by is always by CHOICE. You have the right to CHOOSE to be offended by whatever you want. The fact you choose to be offended by something still places no obligations or restrictions on MY rights! I do not EVER forfeit my rights for your FEELINGS.

You miss the point of the 1st amendment -in fact you miss the point of the entire Bill of Rights. In case you didn't know it, it places NO obligations or restrictions on CITIZENS. It is NOT a bill that lays out restrictions on citizens with regard to THEIR rights. It is a bill that lays out the restrictions WE THE PEOPLE have laid on government. So your claim that people don't have free exercise of religion if it offends others is bullshit. THERE IS NO SUCH restriction on ANYONE that means they must keep their faith behind closed doors and forfeit their free exercise if it OFFENDS OTHERS to practice their religion. I don't have the right to touch you, I don't have the right to prevent you from going where ever you are going. I don't have a right to take over an audience that gathered for another purpose and then force them to listen to me instead. (which is why people who talk loudly during movies at the theater can be ejected and why hecklers at political rallies are ejected -heckling not only violates the rights of the speaker, it violates the rights of all audience members who came there to hear him/her and not the heckler). But there is NO such thing as a "right" to not be offended by whatever you choose to be offended by. I can't make ANYONE not choose to feel offended by something -and am NEVER obligated to try and make someone else HAPPY. What may make you happy is your business, not mine and may be totally different from what makes your neighbor happy. Just like what offends you is your business -not mine -and may be different from what offends your neighbor. Still none of my business. And it isn't any of government's business either. Only if someone is preventing you from exercising your own rights -which doesn't include pretending you have a right to demand others stop exercising their own rights because of your delicate FEELINGS. No such right. Happiness is in YOUR control as is what you choose to feel offended by! And we all know a lot of people look for just about any excuse to choose to feel offense so they can claim their FEELINGS have "rights" when no one's feelings have rights at all. Only ACTIONS have rights -you are free to FEEL whatever you want, but no right to demand others try to make YOU feel happy instead of feeling offended. And absolutely NO right to demand government strip me of my rights because your delicate FEELINGS aren't feeling happy.

You have the right to PURSUE happiness -but no guarantee you will ever find it and NEVER have a right to demand government prevent others from exercising their rights just because stripping others of their rights is what makes you happy!

Exercising your own rights NEVER places an obligation on any other private citizen and never increases your own above mine. The Supreme Court has ruled that government may NOT restrict the rights of others with regard to the free exercise of their religion unless a particular practice poses a very real threat -not an imaginary one or possible one -but a REAL one -to society. And only then may only restrict that particular practice, not the entire religion -things like human sacrifice or consuming illegal substances for religious rituals. THOSE practices are banned, but not the religions that believe in them. The Bill of Rights restricts GOVERNMENT only and places NO restrictions on individuals at all. And didn't intend to either.

Last edited:
I for one do not fear religion. What is frightening is that most human beings are stupid enough to believe that rubbish.

Will religion kill off the homo sapiens? No. What will do us in is the inability to face reality.

We are indeed doomed but like religion it is a fate of our own creation.

All organized religion is just a symptom of the true weakness of mankind. We are being led by babies crying in the dark. We only have ourselves to blame for it.

You people that keep babbling bible quotes are not the problem...no one is forced to believe your nonsense...but they do. I do not blame you for the stupidity of the people that follow your ridiculous crap. If they do not or cannot see what a bald faced lie is then how can they navigate anything in this life?

Bush nor Obama are the problem. It is the average individual that will fall for ANYTHING out of fear that is the source of our crumbling foundation.

All religion is based on fear....yes Sky Dancer...even Buddhists. Hiding from reality in the name of peace is just being organized cowards.

Only truth is power...all else is weakness.

There is no need to fear religion. It is just a symptom of what we must fear.

Look at the world what do you see mostly? Peace? Love? Respect? In small circles, perhaps yes, and many are trying and many succeed which is wonderful.

Overall though, as a human race we lean toward chaos and that is the reality. Just check the news, check history. We aren't living in some Utopia, that's for sure. In the last 100years alone we've had 2 World wars. What do you suppose is going to happen, or what will need to happen in order to obtain "world" peace? Will we ever obtain it? Highly unlikely...not without some world dictator trying to wipe out what they don't like.

So, if you say cross out all those who have religion, then that would be YOUR own type religion or dictatorship to wipe out the rest, wouldn't it?

Humility and peace come when we realize we are indeed weak and we are very capable of hurting others and ourselves. And that we are not in control of all things. We "sin", plain and simple... we freakin need help.

I for one do not fear religion. What is frightening is that most human beings are stupid enough to believe that rubbish.

Will religion kill off the homo sapiens? No. What will do us in is the inability to face reality.

All organized religion is just a symptom of the true weakness of mankind. We are being led by babies crying in the dark. We only have ourselves to blame for it.

You people that keep babbling bible quotes are not the problem...no one is forced to believe your nonsense...but they do. I do not blame you for the stupidity of the people that follow your ridiculous crap. If they do not or cannot see what a bald faced lie is then how can they navigate anything in this life?

Bush nor Obama are the problem. It is the average individual that will fall for ANYTHING out of fear that is the source of our crumbling foundation.

All religion is based on fear....yes Sky Dancer...even Buddhists. Hiding from reality in the name of peace is just being organized cowards.

Look at the world what do you see mostly? Peace? Love? Respect? In small circles, perhaps yes, and many are trying and many succeed which is wonderful.

Overall though, as a human race we lean toward chaos and that is the reality. Just check the news, check history. We aren't living in some Utopia, that's for sure. In the last 100years alone we've had 2 World wars. What do you suppose is going to happen, or what will need to happen in order to obtain "world" peace? Will we ever obtain it? Highly unlikely...not without some world dictator trying to wipe out what they don't like.

So, if you say cross out all those who have religion, then that would be YOUR own type religion or dictatorship to wipe out the rest, wouldn't it?

Humility and peace come when we realize we are indeed weak and we are very capable of hurting others and ourselves. And that we are not in control of all things. We "sin", plain and simple... we freakin need help.

Eh, Jesus was pretty cool, but I don't need to worship his father who has a pattern of random genocide in order to avoid being immoral and chaotic.

Eh, Jesus was pretty cool, but I don't need to worship his father who has a pattern of random genocide in order to avoid being immoral and chaotic.

That is because you do not yet understand the relationship yet, the Trinity. Yes, it’s a great mystery, even the Bible says so. It’s amazing. Upon being born again by His Spirit, the Lord will reveal more to you about the Father by His Spirit. One God, three persons. Even still, a great mystery.

As for peace in the "world" even Jesus Christ our Lord said this Himself…
Luke 12
51Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
52For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
53The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
Even in preaching His Word God knew it would cause division as some people will not receive it. Plus we got Satan and his followers in there deceiving tons of people, which deceive more and more people, and eventually a great falling away as said in the Bible also.

Peace and humility comes when we realize we can’t do it on our own, when we trust in HIM, and repent from not believing Him in the first place, and realize we are all sinners, in need of daily repentance and His sanctification.

Humility is partly admitting we are sinners, that we are very capable of hurting others, we are not better than others; we are all in the same boat, and that we need the LORD.

In the “world” we will NEVER have true peace; will WILL have tribulations...just like Jesus said also, and to date, His Word holds true, and it will hold true until the end. It is in HIM we have peace, and it is HE that has overcome the world by His love, His sacrifice... all for us.
John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

I realize it’s hard to understand so many things in the Old Testament, but if you study more and not kick against it or believe "man" who kicks agains it, and ask Jesus Christ yourself to help you understand more about it..He will.

If you want...here’s some topic examples in regard to this in Bible Questions Answered. For the hard questions in the Bible, alot of times just Google them. Then test for sure what is taught by any site for yourself with God's Word. Make sure it's not a false teaching. Yes, that means don't believe me even, lol...search the scriptures yourself.

Why did God condone such terrible violence in the Old Testament?

What does the Bible say about war?
Jesus’ second coming will be exceedingly violent. Revelation 19:11-21 describes the ultimate war with Christ, the conquering commander who judges and makes war “with justice” (v. 11). It’s going to be bloody (v. 13) and gory. The birds will eat the flesh of all those who oppose Him (v. 17-18). He has no compassion upon His enemies, whom He will conquer completely and consign to a “fiery lake of burning sulfur” (v. 20).

It is an error to say that God never supports a war. Jesus is not a pacifist. In a world filled with evil people, sometimes war is necessary to prevent even greater evil. If Hitler had not been defeated by World War II, how many more millions would have been killed? If the American Civil War had not been fought, how much longer would African-Americans have had to suffer as slaves?

What does the Bible teach about the Trinity?

Last edited:
Again, nothing can be revealed to me that makes random genocide of men/women/children and babies to be morally ok. Actually beyond that, worthy of moral worship.

That is because you do not yet understand the relationship yet, the Trinity. Yes, it’s a great mystery, even the Bible says so. It’s amazing. Upon being born again by His Spirit, the Lord will reveal more to you about the Father by His Spirit. One God, three persons. Even still, a great mystery.

Even in preaching His Word God knew it would cause division as some people will not receive it. Plus we got Satan and his followers in there deceiving tons of people, which deceive more and more people, and eventually a great falling away as said in the Bible also.

Peace and humility comes when we realize we can’t do it on our own, when we trust in HIM, and repent from not believing Him in the first place, and realize we are all sinners, in need of daily repentance and His sanctification.

Humility is partly admitting we are sinners, that we are very capable of hurting others, we are not better than others; we are all in the same boat, and that we need the LORD.

In the “world” we will NEVER have true peace; will WILL have tribulations...just like Jesus said also, and to date, His Word holds true, and it will hold true until the end. It is in HIM we have peace, and it is HE that has overcome the world by His love, His sacrifice... all for us.
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

I realize it’s hard to understand so many things in the Old Testament, but if you study more and not kick against it or believe "man" who kicks agains it, and ask Jesus Christ yourself to help you understand more about it..He will.

If you want...here’s some topic examples in regard to this in Bible Questions Answered. For the hard questions in the Bible, alot of times just Google them. Then test for sure what is taught by any site for yourself with God's Word. Make sure it's not a false teaching. Yes, that means don't believe me even, lol...search the scriptures yourself.

Jesus’ second coming will be exceedingly violent. Revelation 19:11-21 describes the ultimate war with Christ, the conquering commander who judges and makes war “with justice” (v. 11). It’s going to be bloody (v. 13) and gory. The birds will eat the flesh of all those who oppose Him (v. 17-18). He has no compassion upon His enemies, whom He will conquer completely and consign to a “fiery lake of burning sulfur” (v. 20).

It is an error to say that God never supports a war. Jesus is not a pacifist. In a world filled with evil people, sometimes war is necessary to prevent even greater evil. If Hitler had not been defeated by World War II, how many more millions would have been killed? If the American Civil War had not been fought, how much longer would African-Americans have had to suffer as slaves?

Marie this post is why I listed you as my favorite Christian poster. You are 100 percent right dead on the nose.

To the original poster; what is the truth then. What is the truth that Christians are hiding from?

[I realize it’s hard to understand so many things in the Old Testament, but if you study more and not kick against it or believe "man" who kicks agains it, and ask Jesus Christ yourself to help you understand more about it..He will.

I know this is your belief, but stop telling nonbelievers that we need to turn our brains off and spend more time reading your magic book, and everything will be fine. It's completely ignorant. Many, if not most, nonbelievers have struggled every bit as hard with the issue of faith as you have. Your assumptions are insulting.

I grew up in Christianity, I taught Sunday School for years, and I was a committed and faithful believer. I guarantee that I've spent as much or more time studying your illogical fairy tales as you have. And, what I eventually concluded, after years of soul searching, was that it was simply not logical. Leaving Christianity was one of the most difficult decisions in my life.

I mean, I GET IT. I understand where you're coming from, you mean to be helpful and kind, and frankly, I probably said the same stuff you do during the brainwashed years, but if I'd known how condescending it sounded, I'd have saved my breath.

You are a nice lady, but damn.

Last edited:

Do you think that human beings are essentially evil? I do not. I get the impression that some religious people do.

We all have buddha nature. We all have the potential to awaken to enlightenment.

That's one of the differences between Christians and Buddhists. Christians think we all have "original sin" and need to be "saved". Buddhists know we all have buddha nature, and our greed, hatred, delusion, attachment and ignorance are adventitious. They are like the rock covering a diamond. Once the rock is worn away the crystalline pure nature of the diamond is revealed. However ugly the rock, it does not harm the diamond.

That is what buddha nature is like, the diamond. Greed, hatred and delusion, etc are like the rock. They can be purified, and the essential purity present in all beings can be revealed.

I hate what Islam is doing to women and gays in the Middle East and in Asia.

I have no problem with American Muslims, they must obey OUR laws, not Shariah.

For some Islamic law supersedes all man made laws, American or otherwise.

True. For some biblical law supersedes other man made laws, like the Constitution. There are some Christians, who want our laws completely re-written.

Michelle Bachmann went to one such Dominionist law school.

Speaking as a believer or some kind or the other, I am as fearful of a theocratically dominated society as the most hardened atheist on this or any other board on the net.

Far too many of my fellow believers are really closet totalitarians who imagine that their GOD gives then the right to screw anybody who gets in their holier than thou crosshairs.

The "fellow believers" who are in denial about the Dominionists in their ranks, don't realize that if America becomes a theocracy, their own "brand" of Christianity will be next on the chopping block.

That is because you do not yet understand the relationship yet, the Trinity.

This is the most widely abused fallacy of the Christian dogma. You are in error. I understand your religion entirely. The false premise that one can have no understanding until one submits to it is nonsense.

Forum List

Back