fcc's more proactive stance.............

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
The Federal Communications Commission is being way progressive. Just days after Apple shot down Google Voice related apps the FCC pounced with a bevy of questions for Apple, AT&T and Google.

The FCC sent letters to all parties involved seeking information. For Apple, the FCC wants to know the process behind the company’s rejection of Google Voice apps. It also wants to know whether Apple acted alone or consulted with AT&T. The FCC also wants to delve into AT&T’s say in Apple app approval, customer usage limits and other details. The FCC also wants to know the Apple app approval process from the Google perspective.

It’s unheard of for the FCC to move this quickly. FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski is a techie and a Silicon Valley veteran. It shows. The Apple-AT&T-Google Voice flap was barely a few days old before the FCC pounced.

FCC's more proactive stance: Should we cheer or worry? | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

The Federal Communications Commission is being way progressive. Just days after Apple shot down Google Voice related apps the FCC pounced with a bevy of questions for Apple, AT&T and Google.

The FCC sent letters to all parties involved seeking information. For Apple, the FCC wants to know the process behind the company’s rejection of Google Voice apps. It also wants to know whether Apple acted alone or consulted with AT&T. The FCC also wants to delve into AT&T’s say in Apple app approval, customer usage limits and other details. The FCC also wants to know the Apple app approval process from the Google perspective.

It’s unheard of for the FCC to move this quickly. FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski is a techie and a Silicon Valley veteran. It shows. The Apple-AT&T-Google Voice flap was barely a few days old before the FCC pounced.

FCC's more proactive stance: Should we cheer or worry? | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

I guess I am not coffee upped enough? I don't understand what is going on here?

Why would the FCC give a hoot about whether apple buys an application of google's

Does our cia really run google and they want us all on some app that they can use to spy or something?

why in the hell would the FCC be involved in private business in this manner?

I am totally lost.... :(

care

I guess I am not coffee upped enough? I don't understand what is going on here?

Why would the FCC give a hoot about whether apple buys an application of google's

Does our cia really run google and they want us all on some app that they can use to spy or something?

why in the hell would the FCC be involved in private business in this manner?

I am totally lost.... :(

care
The article wasn't very clear but I think this is what is going on. Google came up with a free software download called Google Voice App which allows you to make free phone calls on your Iphone without using minutes. Apple did something to its phones remotely to make the Google Voice App go away. The FCC is investigating the situation to see if Apple and AT&T were colluding against Google (and people that used the voice application)...something like price fixing.

In other words, Apple is telling people which software they can use on the Iphone. If you are familiar with Skype it would be like Apple telling Apple computer owners what software they can use on their computer...and going onto your computer and disabling your Skype account.

Last edited by a moderator:
The article wasn't very clear but I think this is what is going on. Google came up with a free software download called Google Voice App which allows you to make free phone calls on your Iphone without using minutes. Apple did something to its phones remotely to make the Google Voice App go away. The FCC is investigating the situation to see if Apple and AT&T were colluding against Google (and people that used the voice application)...something like price fixing.

In other words, Apple is telling people which software they can use on the Iphone. If you are familiar with Skype it would be like Apple telling Apple computer owners what software they can use on their computer...and going onto your computer and disabling your Skype account.

Yep....

It's about time the FCC is doing it's job again.

Yeah ...sounds like some kind of restraint of trade to me.

Apple is essantially conspiring with that phone company to preevent Google from selling a legal product.

Yeah ...sounds like some kind of restraint of trade to me.

Apple is essantially conspiring with that phone company to preevent Google from selling a legal product.

Google doesn't sell most of their products, most of them are free. Though some coders will charge like 99 cents for a phone app.

Right or not, I still think the FCC should be disbanded, there isn't enough "good" they could do at this point to change my position on that.

Forum List

Back