Favre Retires - Yes, grown men, and women, can't stop sobbing

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Teri B., Mar 4, 2008.

1. Teri B.

Teri B. Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm a die-hard, full-fledged, life-long cheesehead, daughter of a cheesehead father from Wisconsin. I was born and raised on the Ms. Gulf Coast and went to college at USM a few years before Favre. I have a Packer's tire cover on my Jeep, and my office is filled with Packer paraphernalia. I have more Packer clothing than I can list.

So, why is everyone so delighted to kid me about Favre's retirement? Do these same people enjoy kicking injured kittens too? I heard the news when I hit the office door this morning by way of sneering co-workers and a barrage of HA HA emails and phone calls. It's not funny to me. It's sad. It's devastating. It's disappointing. But it's not funny. I guess I don't feel so stupid for walking around on the verge of tears all day, considering how the NFL players and soldiers in Afghanistan took the news:

Yeah, he's just an athlete, but he's meant a lot to me over the years. So I salute you Brett Favre. I'm glad you're still young and healthy, and free to enjoy the lazy days in our beautiful coastal home.

[​IMG]

2. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    God I hope Aaron Rodgers is good.

I hope Thompson retires the number 4 on opening day next season.

3. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,224
    You can bet it will be done as soon as possible, or there will at least be an unwritten agreement on the team that no one will ever wear #4 in Green Bay until it officially happens.

I'm not sure why this is a shock though. Better that he retires after a great comeback season, then to keep trying, and end up going out Jerry Rice-style.

4. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I have not always been a Packers fan, regardless I have always been a Brett Favre fan. He played football like each play would be the last. It seemed to me that he controlled almost every game because the winner was determined by how he played. Favre was capable of amazing streaks of hot play, and the opposite. Even in his last game, when the Giants prevailed, it was because of what Favre did. His last completion was to a member of the opposing team. Before that he had many great victories and entertained millions. He set most of the quarterback records, and I do not think that many ever doubted that he was the toughest man on the field. His streak of consecutive games played will not soon be equaled, if ever. First ballot Hall of Fame: Brett Favre.

5. Teri B.

Teri B. Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
  6. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Why is anyone upset? It was sad last year when he did it, this year people just shrug their shoulders and walk away.

7. CrimsonWhite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Because he hasn't retired yet. Unless you know something that the rest of the world doesn't.

8. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
  9. CrimsonWhite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
  10. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    Farve would be a great backup quarterback - there to mentor a young gun. The Jets need a 24 year old Joe Montana.